LCR MOT Test Soon, Will Groved Disc Fail MOT

kwan88

Jan 18, 2003
Slough
Visit site
Dear All,

Last year Seat in Leicester which did the MOT, re-marked that the disc was slightly worn and that the disc had lots of groves, mainly caused by the fact that I had used galfer pads.

As the MOT is due in 3 weeks time I went to a local MOT centre today as I needed to get the exhuast bracket repaired.

Anyway they performed a brake test and it passed. The MOT tester also said that the brakes would pass an MOT. I understand that different MOT centres have different standards.

So as I have to get the service and mot done by either Seat Leciester, Seat Camberley or Seat Windsor, lets see if they pass the MOT or are very strict during the MOT or maybe want to make a quick buck.

Regards.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
I understand that different MOT centres have different standards.

Regards.
What a load of crap!
All MOT stations have to perform to the exact same standard by law, otherwise we coud all take out cars to different MOT garages for a pass.
Bit like saying "My local MOT centre won't pass my car with no exhaust, but if i go 20 miles away they aren't bothered"

If one station will pass it, so should another.
Why are you letting the dealers do it anyway?

DodgyDave

May 15, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland
As far as i know (but i'm not a MOT tester)...

If the disks are "groved/slotted" disks from new then thats fine :)

If the disks have any score-marks that you can feel (finger-nail test) then it'll fail

They are getting more strict on the MOTs now, and a dealer will know what the disks should be like so will (or should) spot if they are not right........

Dave

andycupra

status subject to change
why do you have to do the MOT at a dealer?
in fact, why do you even have to have the servicing done there.

you are within your rights to get cars seviced where you like and keep warranties (VAT reg garages) if they use original parts.

Sounds like it could be a failure, why not get it MOTd where you have been told its ok?

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
If it's 3yr old or over the warranty won't make a difference unless you bought an extended one, so both MOT and servicing can be done anywhere you fancy.

kwan88

Jan 18, 2003
Slough
Visit site
I do have an extended warrenty on the car and wanted to kill two birds with one stone by having the service and mot done at the same dealer.

I am not 100% sure but there are some MOT test centres that are stricter than others.

May 30, 2002
Bedford (innit)
I think the point is even if it's under warranty (extended or not), you don't need to service or MOT at the dealer.

Use an indpendent garage, far cheaper (and probably better service).

As long as they are VAT registered and use genuine parts you'll be ok

dave02cupraR

you can take it anywhere that is vat reg and u dont have to use vag parts eather to keep warranty as long as its servised and you have the stamp at the right milage the warranty is not void. as for mot every mot tester takes the same mot exams etc to pass as a mot tester but at the end of the day its all down to the mot testers decretion. get him on a good day and most cars will pass but on a bad day they fail!

CupraMVR

Awesome GTi Technician
Oct 19, 2006
Crewe Cheshire
Yea thats true being an MOT Tester its down to the MOT tester decretion.and your lookin for if the part your examining will stay safe and serviceable for another year really.the MOT testers manual says abouts brakes

contamination of brake discs and drums by leaking brake fluid, oil or grease

a brake disc or drum contaminated by brake fluid, oil or grease

the condition and security of brake drums and discs

a brake disc or drum insecure, cracked or excessively scored, pitted or worn

Is reason for rejection

Disco_Biscuit

Ibiza Cupra Tdi PD200
Jul 8, 2007
Yea thats true being an MOT Tester its down to the MOT tester decretion.and your lookin for if the part your examining will stay safe and serviceable for another year really.

The MOT is the minimum safety requirement for a vehicle to be fit for use on the road, you should be looking for a mechnical item to be fit for use for 1 month and 3 months for corrosion, dont confuse a service standard for an MOT standard, you are allowed wear and tear for an MOT

For example your Stealer looks at your pads which have 3mm wear left and says they shot and wont last a year, but an MOT standards states that anything under 1.5mm is a reason for rejection so they would probably get an advisory notice issued. If you doing 10 miles a week they my last a year, if you do 1000 a week maybe a fourtnight.

Disco_Biscuit

Ibiza Cupra Tdi PD200
Jul 8, 2007
if it fails you can phone vosa and they will come and check the car if you think it should pass

They will after you've coughed up the full test fee again, you get a refund if your right if your not your another £50 down and still have to fix your car

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
If it fails then you do what the rest of us do, and rectify the problem.
MOT's are to ensure that the vehicle is safe enough to be on the road for another 12 months.
If it fails, then thats because an expert beleives it's a danger to you and other road users. If you question their judgement and call VOSA in when you know you have a fault that MAY fail, then you will be justifiably ****ed over in 12 months when you need another MOT.

andycupra

status subject to change
If it fails then you do what the rest of us do, and rectify the problem.
MOT's are to ensure that the vehicle is safe enough to be on the road for another 12 months.
If it fails, then thats because an expert beleives it's a danger to you and other road users. If you question their judgement and call VOSA in when you know you have a fault that MAY fail, then you will be justifiably ****ed over in 12 months when you need another MOT.

an MOT is to say the car satisfies the regulationbs at the time of the test. It cant and does mean the car will be safe for use on the road for the next 12 months. No test can do that.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Agreed, but my point is, if its a concern to the tester now but they let you off as you might get it done, you might think "its ok for another 12 months" and leave it, giving it time to get worse and fail.
VOSA shouldn't need to be called in if your car fails unless it was failed by an action of the tester (damage or incorrectly checked).
If its a concern then why not save the effort and cost of failing a test and get it sorted?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.