LCR ticking/ whirring noises on idle

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
hi
ive had a funny ticking type noise coming from the car for a while now, always on idle....now when this happened before i was told it may be the belt tensioner which i had changed...and if im honest the sound never went. The car was looked over but nothing found, but seems to be getting louder now. The car is 4 years old now and im a bit worried it may be the timing belt?

also, after normal driving and after switching the engine off i can hear a horrible whirring sound which im sure is the car cooling/recirculating the oil (even tho i always warm down the engine)...but this sound is really getting sqeakier and louder too....

any help guys?

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
Hiya fella, think the whiring noise after shut down is pump for coolant for turbo, mine makes a humming noise which lasts for 2-3 mins, maybe yours is on its way out if its getting loud, its located near front of engine bay sort of near radiator, like a silver canister.

Jul 8, 2007
The clicking is normal ( middle left side engine bay) by coolant bottle carnt remember wat it is now tho sry :(

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
thanks jim, yeh must be on the way out, it used to hum as yours did but is getting continuously louder......does this need changing asap or will it be fine for the time being?

hallyCUPRAR are you sure this is normal? im sure i never heard this when i bought the car.....cant be normal, doesnt make te car sound right...

Jul 8, 2007
Ay thats the one thanks shauny, Mine does it most of the time also does it on a mates s3. I did ask about it an he said its normal he is a machinic so i belived him :)

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
yup Carbon cannister vac pipe, leave the car ticking over for a few mins and it'll start ticking,....

they all do it,

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
thanks peeps so the loud noise after i turn engine off needs changing then yeh?

radiator fan? theoretically as soon as you kill the ignition , engine oil isnt being circulated, its purely mechanically pumped, as is the coolant via the cambelt/waterpump,

pop the bonnet and have a listen to where its from, radiator fans can run for a fair old time after,

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
bret if its got louder id get it looked at, the electrical water pump isnt very big so i doubt it would be too expensive, i supose a bearing could go on the pump which could make it sound louder, is there any one near you with another LCR to swap over pump to see if that cures it before you buy one, i know mine sometime changes the frequency of the humming sometimes but as long as it keeps buzing im happy.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.