LCR vs MkIV R32

ajoellew

Oct 24, 2006
Bristol
I know I'll probably get flamed for posting this, but just in case anyone's interested....

My mate has an 03 plate R32 and ever since I got my LCR at the start of December we've talked about going for a spin to compare performance. Well today we had our chance. I was following him (I had no idea where I was going!) and we came to a few stretches of empty dual carriage way broken up by a few roundabouts and thought why not?

From standing starts the 4wd diference was very noticeable, I just couldn't get anywhere near him, but from rolling starts of about 30mph performance was near identical, he didn't pull away but I wasn't gaining either. Bear in mind I was following so he had the slight jump on me each time but there was nothing in it once we were rolling.

Both cars are totally stock so about 15bhp difference. I'd be interested to see what would happen if he were following me, I might be able to pull away from a rolling start judging on todays perofrmance. I don't think he was completely happy considering his car cost £5k more than mine, and he has always thought it's in another league to my LCR!!

kenboon

May 28, 2005
Derby
There quite a heavy car, i think about 100kgs more than a LCR?
Theres one at the place i work, not had a chance to have a play with it yet :)

Ken

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Do it fairly now with you in front and him chasing for a fair comparison.

Always harder being the chasing car as the driver in front always has the jump before the rear driver reacts.

Then do it side by side with a few blasts of horn.

I would have thought standard LCR would have been quicker on the move than the R32. Less weight, and lower transmission losses.

Get the car remapped and leave him for dust and then you'll get his back up:lol: ;)

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
Jon from Vagtech said their R32 was as slow as.... "poo" when they first got it, very poor considering its pedigree. When they were done with it though it was 450bhp and did over 170mph

helms

Console Race Car Driver
Jan 30, 2005
Basingstoke
i'm not sure that transmision loses will come into it on a rolling start.
Reason being is that as i believe the R32 is actually usually front wheel drive, the diffs only divert power to the rear wheels when there is a loss of traction.
Hence the fact you see them sometimes being Dino'd with only the front two wheels on and the rears arent moving.
(awaits to be corrected as knowing my luck im probably wrong..lol)

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
i'm not sure that transmision loses will come into it on a rolling start.
Reason being is that as i believe the R32 is actually usually front wheel drive, the diffs only divert power to the rear wheels when there is a loss of traction.
Hence the fact you see them sometimes being Dino'd with only the front two wheels on and the rears arent moving.
(awaits to be corrected as knowing my luck im probably wrong..lol)

Nope, you're right. It's a 'part time' 4WD system that does exactly what you say. During normal driving it's a FWD car, but when it starts to lose traction it diverts power to the rear wheels as well in a big to regain traction.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
I would have thought standard LCR would have been quicker on the move than the R32. Less weight, and lower transmission losses

do the transmission losses come into account if its not used?the weight itself will of course,but the haldex system only comes to arms when it senses a loss of taction,so would only loose more power when its used?
i have had this discussion with a mate with an octy 4x4. he realised he was onto a looser when i told him that his 150 bhp standard car wouldn't quite be enough against my VRS ,with 70 more bhp and a few suspension tweeks :D

idiot at the keyboard: sorry ;)

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Last edited: