Leak in Boot - Help please?

mcmaddy

Aug 28, 2005
Try the black plastic cover that covers the boot lid hinge at the top. Mine was leaking because one of the black plastic caps hadnt been put in properly from the factory. Have you checked your 12v socket in the boot aswell?? Mine was corroded and was replaced under warranty along with a new piece of trim for the hinge and a black plastic pop rivet.

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
Try the black plastic cover that covers the boot lid hinge at the top. Mine was leaking because one of the black plastic caps hadnt been put in properly from the factory. Have you checked your 12v socket in the boot aswell?? Mine was corroded and was replaced under warranty along with a new piece of trim for the hinge and a black plastic pop rivet.

12V socket is OK, not rusted at all, when you say "black plastic cover that covers the boot lid hinge at the top" do you mean the gas charged arm?

My leak seems to be under the carpets anyway, around the top of the wheel arch.

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
Update

OK, car has been with Seat since yesterday morning and they just called, the workshop forman said they have found where the leak area is, they have had the Cpillar cover and roof lining out and it is starting around the join of the Cpillar and Roof but they cannot see exactly where so want it for another day as there are five possible seals around that area, the forman just said he hopes it isn't the main roof join to the Cpillar otherwise that is a bodyshop job to re-seal :(

So fingers crossed it won't be that and will be one of the other seals.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
OK, car has been with Seat since yesterday morning and they just called, the workshop forman said they have found where the leak area is, they have had the Cpillar cover and roof lining out and it is starting around the join of the Cpillar and Roof but they cannot see exactly where so want it for another day as there are five possible seals around that area, the forman just said he hopes it isn't the main roof join to the Cpillar otherwise that is a bodyshop job to re-seal :(

So fingers crossed it won't be that and will be one of the other seals.

Sounds like fun - hope you get it back fixed AND dry! :)

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
OK Seat called last night (could not post as working on call) they have found the entry point and it is the passenger side top boot hinge, the plastic cover (as someone mentioned) has 2 plugs and it was not sealing properly, water at a certain angle was pooring into the roof and down the Cpillar into the arch area, they have sorted it and want to keep it until 5pm today to let the trim dry out and refit everything correctly, which I am happy as don't want it rushed.

Well happy that it wasn't the roof seal and just hope that they have indeed fixed the leek.

At least we have the right weather at the mo for seeing if it still leaks.

Cheers for all ya help fella's :)

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
OK Seat called last night (could not post as working on call) they have found the entry point and it is the passenger side top boot hinge, the plastic cover (as someone mentioned) has 2 plugs and it was not sealing properly, water at a certain angle was pooring into the roof and down the Cpillar into the arch area, they have sorted it and want to keep it until 5pm today to let the trim dry out and refit everything correctly, which I am happy as don't want it rushed.

Well happy that it wasn't the roof seal and just hope that they have indeed fixed the leek.

At least we have the right weather at the mo for seeing if it still leaks.

Cheers for all ya help fella's :)

Spoke to soon, they just called me back saying the leak is not fixed and they have done all they can do, it now needs to go to a Body Shop to have the roof re-sealed, paint off etc!

Not Fu**ing happy at all, Seat CS are dealing with this for me to get a car toi use and who is gonna be the body shop etc.

I have got to give them the chance to fix this under the warranty, even though I am not happy about body work being done and in the mean time I am trying to speak to service manager at White Dove to see what chance I have of rejecteing the sale under the fact that it was not fit for sale.

Ah well, another crap start to new year, I know Seat's are famous for leaking but the amount of folk with leaks on this forum is unreal and if I do get my money back I will be looking else where....

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
Don't know if anyone cares, but will keep this updated anyway.

I have got to say that I am very impressed with Seat Customer Services, spoke to a team leader called Kelly and she has arranged for my car to go back to the supplying dealer (White Dove Cardiff) for the repair, they have booked it in for the 29th Jan, but are taking it off me tomorrow and I have a hire car until it is fixed, if they can fit it in any sooner they will, it is in their interest as Seat UK are paying for the hire car as well even though you are not entitled to a car under warranty if the dealer has none free.
They are gonna confirm that Thompson and Thompson have diagnosed it correctly and then put it in their body shop to sort.

Seat UK have assured me that it will be resolved and if not I have spoken to Trading Standards and they have said I need to give them 2 goes at fixing the issue and if it is still not right then I can return the vehicle under the old consumers rights act.

So fingers crossed they sort it for good and the body shop do a good job.

I will be making the garage do a handover with me of my car as well tomorrow so they agree that it is perfect apart form a slight kerb on one alloy and a pin size mark on the drivers running strip.

Think I have covered it all, just have to wait until approx mid Feb until I get my FR back :(

mcmaddy

Aug 28, 2005
Get them to check the black plastic cover again. The boot hinge is where they leak as I was told its become quite common.

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
Get them to check the black plastic cover again. The boot hinge is where they leak as I was told its become quite common.

Yeah will do, as said they want to investigate it before packing it off to the body shop anyway, I am gonna show them what the other dealer shows me and will mention that I want them to double check the hinge again.

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
Update

OK, got treated very well today, Service manager at White Dove met me and then I dealt with a chap called Carl, he was very good and made me feel confident in the repair, they will do their own diag on the car and go from there, I did a proper handover with them so no comeback on the state of my car.
I was then picked up by a top bloke from Enterprise car rental and taken to get my hire car, Kelly @ Seat UK agreed to pay in full for the hire car so I don't even have any excess :)

The hire car chap has a Leon as well so said "I will sort you out with a decent car" I was expecting a Polo or similar, but to my shock I have a 56 plate Vectra SRI with all the toy's, Sat Nav, MP3 CD etc, so a lot happier than yesteday.

I have the hire car until the 26th at the moment and Kelly @ Seat UK has said that as Seat don't normaly do "hire cars" that the dealer will be putting my car at the top of the list if any slots come up before the 29th Jan as the hire car with no excess is around £60 a day ;)

So wait and see now.

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
OK final update I hope, got the car back today and White Dove checked the car over and the passenger side boot hinge was still leaking according to the service manager, so they re-sealed the hinge and water tested and no leak anymore.

I am not 100% convinced as the other dealer had sealed this hinge also but water still came in, I am just hoping that White Dove found something that Thompson & Thompson had missed.

I said this to the service manager and was told it had ben tested and no water came in, if it still leaks then no probs and they will have it back.

So am hoping it is sorted as cannot see where else it would come in to be honest, bring on the rain for the next few weeks LOL.

gb

here and there
Feb 27, 2007
portglasgow
i had the same problem with my lcr it had been in and out of garage several times thay said it was all of the above then they discovered it was a gromet missing under the roof rack trim sins then ive had no water in touch wood.ps dont no how u get it off best of luck gb

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.