Leak in Boot - Help please?

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
Hi,

Bear with me on this one as I am trying to be as accurate as possible...

After posting that my car was misting up real bad in one of the many "condensation" posts, I came home from a day away with work to find the inside of my windows like the outside after heavy rain, went home after sitting in the work car park and they kinda cleared, 20 mins later I checked the car and they were are misted up again.

Checked all footwells, nothing, checked the boot and as you face the boot the left hand side carpet side panel was damp on the shelf part that sits behind the light cluster. The foam panels on the arch were soaking under the carpet panel and damp all along the bottom of this cloth panel right to the back of the seat.
The boot liner panel was also damp along the same edge.

I could not see where the water would come in so dried it all off with a hairdryer and went for a drive to clear the cabin of any dampness (baked with the climate on HI and fans on full) checked the boot again and could see no water runs or anything.

B4 going to work I opened the boot and checked and could see a small run of water down the plastic panel edge that meets the carpet panel next to the flap that allows access to the bulbs. Now the strange this is that at the top of the plastic panel is another panel of plastic that goes around the boot light and this is all dry, it looks as if the water run starts from nothing and I cannot see where it would be coming in.

Any idea's on where it could come in, the boot seal is fine and if this the water run would be seen on the boot panel and the panel with the boot light in?

It is under warranty but if I can find the entry point I would rather just mastic it and know it is sorted instead of multiple journeys to the Dealer

Myles

Jun 22, 2004
Carterton, Oxon
It could be the rear washer hose disconnected behind the LHS carpet panel. Every time you squirt the rear, you fill the boot with water. The same kind of thing has happened to mine, but the wiper motor squirty bit has corroded and sends water down through the boot lock every time I used it. New washer motor for the car, methinks. Do a search for leak in boot, or rear washer leak.

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
to find out if its the rear washer fluid, you either smell it or see it as the colour blue from screen wash. . i had this problem in my boot for my golf.

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
Just fixed this on mine and it was the L shaped join piece behind the left hand side trim panel that had come loose. 30 minute job to sort if that's all it is :)

Sounds like this could be the issue Fester, the water is def not washer fluid as I use the fan stuff from Seat and that has a very strong smell.

Do you have more info please mate, any pics? when you say L shaped join piece, is this plastic/metal? if it is loose where is the water coming from to get through the gap in the first place?

Ta ;)

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
It could be the rear washer hose disconnected behind the LHS carpet panel. Every time you squirt the rear, you fill the boot with water. The same kind of thing has happened to mine, but the wiper motor squirty bit has corroded and sends water down through the boot lock every time I used it. New washer motor for the car, methinks. Do a search for leak in boot, or rear washer leak.

Out of curiosity I would like to check this out anyway just in case. Where is the hose located exactly, Is it up behind the power socket and boot light as I didn't see anything obvious when I had the panel pulled up?

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Sounds like this could be the issue Fester, the water is def not washer fluid as I use the fan stuff from Seat and that has a very strong smell.

Do you have more info please mate, any pics? when you say L shaped join piece, is this plastic/metal? if it is loose where is the water coming from to get through the gap in the first place?

Ta ;)

It's as miles says below - the piece in question is in behind the LHS boot trim panel. If you remove the boot sill cover, the left hand quarter piece and then the piece that the boot courtesy light sits in - the L shaped piece in question is in there.

You won't smell screenwash unless you use it - i don't.

My left rear wing was full of water and all the foam was soaking wet as well as the carpet that covers the rear arch.

paullec

Nov 15, 2006
Birmingham
well i have a leak lol but i think its becuase one of the plastic bungs is missijng so i can see the floor through the boot :S might check this hose incase its that aswell :S

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
OK took all the side carpet and plastic panels in the boot out this afternoon after work, seems the wetest part of the carpet back was around the arch/shock housing that the seat belt loom is bolted onto. The carpet back and foam was the wettest here by far. With all the covers off I went to work checking the rear wiper hose, this is not leaking at all, next I closed the boot and went at the general rear quater area with a hosepipe and a watering can for extra water load and could not see any water coming in at all, or where it was coming in to make it wet in the first place???

Water is coming in from somewhere and this is the second time I have had misting problems this winter, I am just wandering if the water is coming in through the top of the shock/shock mount when going through a deep puddle or something?

I am giving up as I could not see a dribble whilst looking earlier or no indication of the inlet, all I know is that it is around where the rear seat belt is mounted at the top of the arch.

Fester, I had both the light cluster and boot light plastic sections off and still could not see this L shaped panel you are on about mate?

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
The join for the pipe that feeds the rear wash wipe is just behind the place the seatbelt attaches to mate - you must have looked right past it. The plastic hose is an opaque one not a clear one.

Yeah I know that mate, I found it and it is def white hose that runs behind the seat belt mount and since the main wet spot was around that area I was convinced it was gonna be that, but with all the panels off not a drip came out of it when I squirted the rear washer more than i would normaly, so 100% not the hose.
I am confused as to were the L shaped panel you were on about is though, is it metal or plastic as I couldn't see it at all? does it have screws etc?

wvw

I have the same problem. Can see where its coming from at all. I suspect its coming up from the wheel arch, because if i dry it out, not use and it rains, it dosent get wet. Go for a spin in the wet however and its soaked. Not had a proper go at finding it yet though.

Myles

Jun 22, 2004
Carterton, Oxon
Miles,

Where is the washer hose located exactly please?

Sorry mate, t'internet was playing up for me. My leak is behind the plastic cover on the boot lid, its a right pain to get off, so I havent. For the moment, I am just not using my rear wiper. It sounds as though your leak, if it is a leak, is behind that panel suggested by others. The below the boot light. I have never taken it off but all that I have read indicates it is an easy fix.

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
Sorry mate, t'internet was playing up for me. My leak is behind the plastic cover on the boot lid, its a right pain to get off, so I havent. For the moment, I am just not using my rear wiper. It sounds as though your leak, if it is a leak, is behind that panel suggested by others. The below the boot light. I have never taken it off but all that I have read indicates it is an easy fix.

Cheers mate, the leak is def not by the boot light panel, I posted above that the main wetness is around the wheel arch where the rear seat belt is mounted (100% not the washer hose join located there) so I am guessng that the water is coming in through the top of the shock mount or the wheel arch somehow, cannot see where so have given up and will let Seat take it apart after I have shown them where the main wetness is.

Fidge

SEAT Enthusiast!
Sep 9, 2004
Southampton UK
Dont see why you're bothering to be honest, if its under warranty let the dealer stress over it! Its a common problem, I had mine done under warranty and had no problems since! Now leave it alone before SEAT say they are not gonna tounch it cos you've taken the car apart already! :p

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Cheers mate, the leak is def not by the boot light panel, I posted above that the main wetness is around the wheel arch where the rear seat belt is mounted (100% not the washer hose join located there) so I am guessng that the water is coming in through the top of the shock mount or the wheel arch somehow, cannot see where so have given up and will let Seat take it apart after I have shown them where the main wetness is.

Ahh well that was where mine had leaked - if it's not that then i'm all out :)

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
Dont see why you're bothering to be honest, if its under warranty let the dealer stress over it! Its a common problem, I had mine done under warranty and had no problems since! Now leave it alone before SEAT say they are not gonna tounch it cos you've taken the car apart already! :p

LOL yeah let them try and say that, I was just trying to see if it was that simple washer hose leak or a loose panel to fix easily myself to save not having the car for two days mid week, but I am gonna tell them I have had the panel off anyway so they don't blag me and say "oh it was the hose" when I know 100% it isn't ;)

Did they tell you what was casuing your leak after they fixed it?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.