leaking water into the rear footwells

simonghutton

My Leon is leaking water into the rear footwells (yes,both sides!), when left parked up for any lenghty period of time when raining:cry::cry:
I have looked everywhere but cant find where the torrent is coming from. As far as I can make out, it must be coming in from somewhere at the rear of the car. I get the usual build up of water on the front sills, but opening both doors for a short time to let the water disperse, prevents it wetting the front footwells. Under the rear seat is completely dry, so I dont think it's coming in from there or dropping down from the rear hatch hinges.

Has anyone had similar issues and managed to find a cure?

It's the only thing that P:censored:s me off about the car

PS I have trawled the forum for a thread relating to similar issues but to no avail.

cupra-rich

Dec 28, 2008
coventry
that the problem mate front doors where's the water coming in need to re-seal kidney plate behind the door card.
where you from i'm more than happy to do em for you.

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site
that the problem mate front doors where's the water coming in need to re-seal kidney plate behind the door card.
where you from i'm more than happy to do em for you.

as the man says.....

Have a look at this thread. It's a guide on how to fix it. I followed it and it cured my problem completely. I had the sympton when you opened the front door the water gushed out from between the door card and the door. The interior carier seal is leaking and just needs a going over with some silicone sealanr.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44216

simonghutton

you are probably thinking it cant be that. It makes no sense, there is no evidence of water marks etc etc..
But they speak sense, it is definately the door seals and it sounds like the fronts need doing also.

:confused::confused:

So you reckon it's the rear door cards that leak as well as the fronts??

I'm not doubting you Andy...but you're right...that doesn't make sense.:think::think:
There is no sign of water getting in via the rear sills and if it's not there, how is it getting to the rear of the car via the front??? 'Tis a cunning, slippery foe is water!!!!

Victor...Thank You for the generous offer mate but I live in Leeds...cant really expect you to travel THAT far.

cupra-rich

Dec 28, 2008
coventry
Victor...Thank You for the generous offer mate but I live in Leeds...cant really expect you to travel THAT far.

:lol:
was thinking you'd come to me as was doing you a favour. ;)

done a few of these alway seems the foam seal perishes under the speaker on the front doors.

simonghutton

:lol:
was thinking you'd come to me as was doing you a favour. ;)

done a few of these alway seems the foam seal perishes under the speaker on the front doors.

Thanks for the advice mate...shame you cant travel up though.:D:D

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
or get the proper replacement stuff from a dealer, £14 for a strip that will do both front doors easily.

i was going to do the cheap route, when i was advised by garage can be an arse to clean all the gunk properly if binds very strong and you need to remove the panel to replace window regulators. so i asked how much and if in stock, threw it over the counter for free :)

20min job to get door card off clean all existing gunk out and reapply

simonghutton

Would that be the "Cord" that they refer to further back in this thread?
Can that be fixed in with the internal carrier in place but loose??

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
I've been reading about a few people with this problem recently, including the paddling pools for foot-wells, and never put 2 and 2 together. Whenever it rains, when I open the door, there appears to be a gallon of water sat on the sill. Is this the same problem? None seems to be getting in to mine, but nevertheless...

blackcupra180

Aug 4, 2009
fife
I've been reading about a few people with this problem recently, including the paddling pools for foot-wells, and never put 2 and 2 together. Whenever it rains, when I open the door, there appears to be a gallon of water sat on the sill. Is this the same problem? None seems to be getting in to mine, but nevertheless...

yes i had this problem cured it the other day no water on the sills and hoovering the car every day to dry it out lol

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Right, thanks guys... didn't think anything of it originally but now... dammit! One more thing to sort, and I'm far from handy with these things :D

andycupra

status subject to change
:confused::confused:

So you reckon it's the rear door cards that leak as well as the fronts??

I'm not doubting you Andy...but you're right...that doesn't make sense.:think::think:
There is no sign of water getting in via the rear sills and if it's not there, how is it getting to the rear of the car via the front??? 'Tis a cunning, slippery foe is water!!!!

just to clarify, the water is the back will be from the rear doors most likely.
You mentioned seeing some water on the sills for the front doors, which is a sign they are also suffering from leaking, but perhaps not bad enough to result in the front footwells being wet.

So what i meant was that i bet it is the rear doors leaking, even if you cant see any evidence of it, (many people have argued over and over then when they did the seals it solved it).
The fronts sound like they are going the same way.

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
OK, well I've read the thread pointed out above, and I don't see how what I have is a problem. I may have explained it badly, but it seems that my symptoms are by design. The thread linked to by cmc says that water is expected to drain through the door and out of drain holes in the bottom, which would be the bit where the chromed part is on this picture:

images%5Cphotos%5CLEON_1M5071500.jpg

That's where I'm finding the water when I open my door. It's supposed to do this, right?

^^ I'm a bit concerned now Antee too! I have the same; when I open my door there is water on the sill but dry footwells? I just assumed the water ran out of the door that way?

I'm all for prevention rather than cure - but I've also seen people having electric problems after removing doorcards etc.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members