Leaving car unused for maybe 6 months - battery?

Oct 22, 2022
As above. If I park the car and leave it for maybe 6 months, how long might the battery last? 2019 Leon Cupra 290. Will be left outside - no possibility of connecting a trickle charger. Our ancient Renault Laguna diesel would always start after 6 months, but I'm assuming the Seat with all its electronics won’t be quite as accommodating. I have one of those portable car starters, which I'd hope might be able to start it.

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
If the battery goes flat (as I expect it would), I think it won't recover. See what others say, but I'd disconnect it so it's not powering anything.

Or, you could potentially use a solar charger of some sort... Maybe even in this weather!

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I've left a 68 plate Volvo V40 outside during cold winter months for 4 months and it started fine, and did another couple of short trips before it showed low battery. I did do a long ish journey to charge up the battery prior though and bought a Halfords power bank starter. Car started fine so starter was returned

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
The problem I had when my car was sitting doing nothing over one of the lockdowns was the brake disks corroding. As it ended up a bit more than just surface rust, it took ages to get back to a consistent shiny finish. I'd leave the handbrake off if you're able to.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
As above. If I park the car and leave it for maybe 6 months, how long might the battery last? 2019 Leon Cupra 290. Will be left outside - no possibility of connecting a trickle charger. Our ancient Renault Laguna diesel would always start after 6 months, but I'm assuming the Seat with all its electronics won’t be quite as accommodating. I have one of those portable car starters, which I'd hope might be able to start it.
You can get those solar panel 12v chargers you leave on the dash - might help?

Reactions: RUM4MO

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
You can get those solar panel 12v chargers you leave on the dash - might help?
I'll add to that useful suggestion, try to get the bigger version if there is a choice and one that includes a lead that plugs into the diagnostic port of the car, I bought one of them from the AA as we are members, so it was bought at an okay price. I used it to support the 2009 Ibiza that I was looking after but not using much, unfortunately it had a battery draining issue which could not be "overcome" by using this solar cell, so it now resides in the attic - though ready for use if/when I need it! A friend took my advice and bought one, either that same capacity or bigger, to support his little used 2017 A6, his worry was that it would over charge the battery - no real chance of that I'd think, these things do help but don't expect that even in full sunlight that they will be output "a lot" of charge, but they will help to support that car.

Oct 22, 2022
I kept an eye on my car while it was parked today. It only got about an hour of sunshine, and that was first thing in the morning when the sun was weak (my space is in a sort of courtyard surrounded by buildings and high fences). Looks like I'm going to have to rely on my power bank starter. I'll leave the parking brake off - manual explains how to do this with automatic parking brake.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I kept an eye on my car while it was parked today. It only got about an hour of sunshine, and that was first thing in the morning when the sun was weak (my space is in a sort of courtyard surrounded by buildings and high fences). Looks like I'm going to have to rely on my power bank starter. I'll leave the parking brake off - manual explains how to do this with automatic parking brake.
I would probably disconnect it then for that amount of time - 6 months - as to avoid the alarm battery drain. 12v batteries don't link going too low in voltage and this would shorten its life.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I guess if you're parking in a private place (gated and secured or similar) then you can disconnect one terminal and use the physical key to enter when you're back. If you're parking on a public road, maybe best to let it (still) power the alarm?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members