Leaving Seat behind

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
As the title suggests the time has come to part ways with Seat and with it my 66 plate Leon FR 184 Titanium so I figured I’d share my views on what it’s been like to ‘own’ and my thoughts on leasing as that’s what I’ve been doing - for those that care or are thinking of doing similar

I’ll start with the facts and figures. For reference I’m now 23, was 21 when I got it. The car was brand new, 60 miles on the clock, monsoon grey, 3 door with the titanium pack, convenience pack and full link options ticked. My mileage allowance was 15,000 p/a, servicing was included as well as breakdown assistance and free replacement tyres. I put £3000 down and paid £242 a month thereafter.

I’ll start with my thoughts on leasing. Initially I thought it was great, driving a car I otherwise wouldn’t have been able to afford for monthlies that I could, you can often find some more more ludicrous deals than I did but I knew I was going to struggle being as I did a lot of miles! The inclusion of servicing and breakdown cover is a must personally and gave the peace of mind that you wouldn’t be left out of pocket should something go wrong. In terms of finances before taking the lease i was on the cusp of buying a 16 plate ex demo FR for 17,000. In the time I’ve had my lease I’ve paid close to £9000 on a car that retailed(with options) for close to 25,000 meaning by the time I hand it back the amount I’ve spent really isn’t a million miles away from the depreciation value of the car - a big positive for me. On the flip side the downsides of leasing - which I’m yet to fully feel - is that regardless of when you hand back the car(mines going back 27 days early) mileage is calculated pro-rata meaning you can still get stung with excess fines if they think you would have exceeded it. Also the whole thing is very impersonal which I’m not a huge fan of, everything was ordered online, some bloke turned up with the car then walked off into the sunset to catch a train or something and that was that. Overall I think leasing is an option for those that, like me, wanted something they couldn’t afford however these days I think getting a PCP deal is much better, when I give the keys back I have nothing to show for it and just -£8500, with a PCP there’s always options throughout the policy. Personally I wouldn’t lease again, my next car is on a pcp(I’ll come to that)

The car!! Sierra(as I’ve named her) has been great for the past 2 years and I love her to bits, she’s by no means without her flaws but they just add character...

The drive I can’t fault at all, sharing an engine with the Golf GTD means there’s more than enough power and torque under your foot(be quiet cupra owners) and the economy isn’t too bad to boot, in my 29,000 miles my average mpg is 45.7, I do 54 miles a day on the work commute and don’t care much for economic driving, often it’s the opposite...

The interior is very Seat, like a Golf but not quite there, a lot more hard plastics, the infotainment screen occasionally freezes and needs resetting, there’s a notorious rattle in the passenger door card, the dashboard cover buzzes from time to time but on the whole it’s a nice place to sit, everything your hands touch the most is good quality(gear stick, wheel, infotainment), the seats are comfortable, the boot is large, rear leg room in the 3 door is average(not that I ever cared) but on the whole it’s a fantastic car, it has its quirks but that hasn’t stopped me loving it! People will say the brakes are crap or the tyres are and maybe that’s true but day to day unless you’re hurling round a track those things are trivial, the car has tyres and it stops was always my view.

Faults - during my stint with the car I haven’t had any major issues. I had low coolant after 17,000 miles or so that Seat checked and topped up - nothing since, I had one service which was all fine, filled up my oil twice outside of that service(tends to use more in the first few 10,000 miles then beds in beyond that) and I had the front tyres replaced within my lease due to my excitable right foot and getting the car in winter(8000 miles on the set)

What next? For me personally I’m stepping away from Seat but staying cosy with the VAG(pun intended). I’ll be collecting a MK7.5 Golf GTI on Sunday on a PCP deal. I’ll still float around these forums and answer anything people throw up that I may have experienced.

Thank you for reading(if you still are) and if you have any questions/comments about the car, leasing, my new car or just think I’m a moron then I’m all ears!
127021b7109c0760afb43540cd1547af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
Did you get a good deal on the GTI?

They started at 430 I started at 250 and we met at 330 p/m, 17000 miles, 5k deposit, 2 services, tyre and alloy cover and breakdown assistance included. Not as good a deal as if it had been brand new but due to the deposit it’s likely I’ll be in positive equity in a couple of years so can probably trade it in early

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Shame you're leaving the SEAT fold, although probably a good thing in ditching diesel.

No matter how much more flash your new GTI is, it won't look as good as your SC though...

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
Shame you're leaving the SEAT fold, although probably a good thing in ditching diesel.

No matter how much more flash your new GTI is, it won't look as good as your SC though...

It was a tough decision between chasing down a cupra or switching to a golf but my mileage has increased and I think I’ve always craved that little bit of extra luxury! I will certainly miss the exterior of the Seat though!

Gunslinger300

Oct 12, 2017
Glasgow
They started at 430 I started at 250 and we met at 330 p/m, 17000 miles, 5k deposit, 2 services, tyre and alloy cover and breakdown assistance included. Not as good a deal as if it had been brand new but due to the deposit it’s likely I’ll be in positive equity in a couple of years so can probably trade it in early

Not too bad considering the miles PA on the deal.

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
9k is a big chunk of change for just 2 years.

It’s actually 8566 I just checked but yeah, at the time I was all excitable about wanting an FR and not about wanting money and I had 7000 through selling my old car haha

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
And there i was was getting annoyed about losing 5-6k over 4 years. for a lousey 10k miles :roflmao:

The manufactures have taken advantage of historic low interest rates. hide all of the depreciation in a monthly figure and send the car to auction afterwards.
Had interest rates been around 4% these lease deals would not of existed in the first place and they would of sold feck all cars.

Last edited:

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
I’m worried about how much they’ll try get me for on damages but it goes back a week today so we’ll find out soon!

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Myself include, I will be going away from a Seat Leon Mk3 2.0TDI DSG to a Ibiza 1.0TSI DSG, and next stop Volvo V40 1.5 T3 152PS auto in Dec. May I ask, how was the collection process of the car? Was it one day, someone comes from BCS (or whatever they are called) to inspect it, gives it a clean bill of health and soon after a day or two after someone shows up to collect it?

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
I think you'll enjoy the GTI. One parks opposite me at work and I really like it. I came from a diesel into my 280 and the torque won't surprise you but it's the lack of having to change gear so often and the speed you're doing when you do have to compared to a diesel that will keep you on your toes for the first few blasts!

I've not driven a GTI but I would expect it will be more refined than the Cupra, the Cupra is a little more focussed where as the GTI is the more rounded everyday hot hatch and if your mileage is high then that is what you need. My 280 as much as I love it is quite a harsh ride at times and I suffer the same rattle issues as many.

They obviously both share the EA888 engine and it's an absolute peach!

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
Yeah the GTI drove like a dream and felt nicer to be in, the heated seats and digital dash really sold it to me without being completely silly on economy at the same time.

With regards to collection of my Seat I’ve been told it’ll be picked up and taken away to auction to be assessed then I’ll be invoiced for damages, I’ve got a scratch on the boot and driver door mirror housing - which is a replaceable plastic cover, as well as a palm print dent because I changed my boot struts which was great until I pushed it down in the middle and the squishy metal squished! Going to try get that out this weekend but I’ve put aside £500 for hopefully all eventualities!

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
Yeah the GTI drove like a dream and felt nicer to be in, the heated seats and digital dash really sold it to me without being completely silly on economy at the same time.

Also adaptive cruise control as standard? unsure if you had it on the Leon but i'm never buying a car without it again, on motorways/ dual carriageways I use it a lot!

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
Yeah standard on GTI, didn’t have it on the Seat so used to have to sit adjusting the speed by guessing that of the car in front!

I only had rear sensors and have front and rear now as well, other highlights include the overhead thing to store sunglasses, none stupid drinks holders and lined door bins and glove compartment! It’s the little things!

Reactions: Lmbarrett83

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
To close this out...

I returned the Seat a few weeks ago now, miss the time we spent together and the time I didn’t spend at petrol stations...

Had a scratch on the boot - about a finger nails width but deep enough to take a nail, a scratch on the plastic door mirror casing, small palm print dent in the boot(damn boot struts) and a scuff on the front near side alloy and going on the basis of pro-rata mileage I should have been over however the lease company have attributed it all to fair wear and tear and let me off the mileage so it’s case closed on my Leon FR.

On a side note I’m thoroughly enjoying my golf GTI so far, much nicer place to be and the power difference and petrol noise is noticeable. Been up to the lakes this weekend and got 415 miles from the tank, average for the weekend around 37mpg, overall average on the car is 35 - it was down at 28 when I collected so it’s so far so good!

Thank you to anyone that replied/read/took interest and if anyone has any questions about the Leon FR(MY16) or leasing one then ask away(I’m 23, 21 when I got the car if there’s anyone younger and wondering if they should do it out there)

Thanks

Harry213

Aug 11, 2014
West Midlands
Im in a similar situation as you mate, I have a 64 Plate 184 FR on a four year deal, car should have gone back early November.

I’ve ordered a Golf GTI Performance Pack (Dynaudio is the only extra I’ve added)

The car was ordered in August however due to WLTP issues isn’t being built till end of November so thinking I will end up getting the car some time in January.

I was contemplating getting a Cupra but during the time I was looking to place an order I was told I wouldn’t get the car till February/March!

Glad to hear that you can notice the difference in performance!

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
Im in a similar situation as you mate, I have a 64 Plate 184 FR on a four year deal, car should have gone back early November.

I’ve ordered a Golf GTI Performance Pack (Dynaudio is the only extra I’ve added)

The car was ordered in August however due to WLTP issues isn’t being built till end of November so thinking I will end up getting the car some time in January.

I was contemplating getting a Cupra but during the time I was looking to place an order I was told I wouldn’t get the car till February/March!

Glad to hear that you can notice the difference in performance!

Ah that’s a shame, yeah if Seat tell you Feb/March you can probably add another 4 months onto that as well!

I was considering the cupra but doing 17,000 miles p/a would have burnt a very large hole in my pocket and I may as well have moved into a petrol station haha

It’s really noticeable just because you can rev out the gears a lot more than in the diesel and I’m sure having the performance pack you’ll notice it even more!