led brake lights >>>>>>

olliebloory

well i have a mk2 seat leon and thought i would put some led bake lights,however when i orderd the bulbs and they came i found that there is only one bulb that does sidelight and brake lights...bugger...can anyone shed any light on this...can i somehow use leds with it >>??

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
i'd want a conversion that would give me 2 reverse lights as well as LED rear lights. I think a lot of owners of the mk2 leon would agree the car needs some extra lighting when reversing at night.

silverfox

Feb 19, 2004
far far away
Visit site
i'd want a conversion that would give me 2 reverse lights as well as LED rear lights. I think a lot of owners of the mk2 leon would agree the car needs some extra lighting when reversing at night.

absolutely agree with you! It's extremely annoying only having one (rather dim!)reversing light.......incidentally, can you get a brighter bulb for reversing lights?

olliebloory

ok ok guys glad thats sorted...please help with my first post......does the outer sidelights get more voltage to become brake lights...???ideas..>????

olliebloory

so its 1 lamp with 2 filaments...any ideas how u could use leds.>?

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
so its 1 lamp with 2 filaments...any ideas how u could use leds.>?

i suggest waiting for someone else to do it (successfully) first.

you will need something like a cluster of 5 LED's, 2 of which are on with the tail light selected, then the other 3 light when the brakes are pressed.

it wont be as simple as that though if previous atempts with LED's and canbus are anything to go by.

i'm afraid i dont have the time or inclination.

Maximus2000uk

Sorry to be an idiot, and perhaps I have totally misunderstood, but arent the rear brake lights LED already? My brake lights are LED.

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
If you do decide to go down the LED route, you will need to consume 400mAh of current at 12V to make it a true 5W light source to not trip the convenience unit that throws up the bulb warning light. How low the current usage can go without this being tripped, no one has tested, yet. Driving each LED at 40Mah you will need around 30 LEDS! Good luck building that cluster

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
Some mods I can understand but what is the point in buying LED lamps for a car that it's designers have already fitted with LED look casings. In the dark they already look superb and very much like LED. :shrug:

ianltd

Aug 31, 2008
Powys
one lamp (bulbs come up in the spring :whistle:), 2 filaments.

OK, so as this is the case, could you not get some connectors/holders the same as the outer set, wire up, fit another 15/5w stop tail/bulb or (21/5w as they used to be) to the inner set of tail lamps, and then have four brake lights?

I remember a thread a while ago with a guy asking about four brake lights and somebody told him they were LED's.

I must admit, I haven't checked, but the bulb and LED look casing seems more correct:D

But as Moley says, they look wicked at night anyhow, just as they are - but four brake lamps would look the dogs - eh?

MMMM, worth a thought??!!:D

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.