LED Headlight How-To - CANbus Error Free

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
Thought I'd share my experience of LED headlights and getting them to be error free.

Due to a kind donation of a set of H7 LED headlights by highflyingbirds this had been made possible.

Parts used as follows:

Twenty20 H7 LED 6000k Headlights: https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/twenty20-compact-led-headlight-bulbs-H7-pair.html

Philips LED CANbus Adapter: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-18952-°C2-Canbus-LED-Adaptor-Set/dp/B07C5PN1LH/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=philips+canbus&qid=1567447713&s=gateway&sprefix=philips+canbus&sr=8-2

Once installed, they give a bright white with no traces of blue. No CANbus errors, unfortunately if the ignition is switched on they do flash on and off briefly which is a little annoying as the resistor is supposed to prevent this.

In short, once you have the LEDs and the resistor you will find that it's a really right fit behind the dustcover on the headlight, this causes a gap in the side of the dust cover.

To get around this I marked the contact point between the headlight and the dust cover and then drilled a hole using a drill bit used for drilling large holes in wood, as you can see from the pictures it's not the nearest job but atleast it's not going to be seen.

Once there's a hole in each there's room for the headlight cover to fit and allow for any wires to come through the back of it.

The resistors are a black square unit, these have been tucked under the wings and cable tied in, location should allow enough airflow to cool them. (See images).

I haven't yet figured out how I'm going to seal the holes in the back of the dust covers. One idea is to simply fill them with some sealent but that's going to cause an issue when it comes to removing the covers. Open to suggestions!

Hope someone finds this useful.
63ef75bd108fb2ead2e428fe0d809884.jpg
a9a7603eb96b5459ad88d0154ed332fb.jpg
c7b6176f790970fc76e66a8f321d235e.jpg
4fde3fdee159f15745623f372bf93483.jpg
783d0cf2c52644af7f7af15c25757c9f.jpg
ab1c3b07bf4ebc3f9cff1ccd53d098a6.jpg

Last edited:

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland
You can't get rid of the flicker as our cars send a small amount off current to the bulbs to test they ok. And an led only needs a small amount of current to light up. A resistor will not stop that from happening. All the resistor does is change the resistance of the signal being sent back during the self test.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
You can't get rid of the flicker as our cars send a small amount off current to the bulbs to test they ok. And an led only needs a small amount of current to light up. A resistor will not stop that from happening. All the resistor does is change the resistance of the signal being sent back during the self test.

Thanks for clarifying. Seems it's about as good as it's going to get then!

stephen

Dec 4, 2018
Had leds for a while
Had to buy a bit to go in between
In the end it wasn’t worth it sadly

Went back to my Philips

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland
A good led will give as good as a standard bulb. Don't go buying a led expecting it to give the same light pattern as a proper led lamp or hid lamp. It's just not going to happen ever.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise