Led - mot - failures

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Just had the cars first MOT today and it initially failed, luckily I had the original bulbs to put back and the car was passed.
Reason for failure : the "white leds are deemed blue" by the transport tester - so before you take your pride and joy for its MOT remember to fit the old candles back!!
You CAN have white/blue LED's fitted as a auxiliary lamps but NOT has part of the side light array
######################################################
Least it was done FOC - no retest etc. ...........................................!!

Last edited:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
They will fail you for anything these days, a guy at work was failed due to his satnav bracket being on the windscreen :ban:

If it's in the area/zone of testing then yes it will fail as it's probably in the line of vision

Is the tester colour blind?

sadly open to interpretation of the tester itself and considering a standard bulb is effectively a dull orange i would imagine it will be more common a failure soon

both points are predantic admittedly but remember they can't move/remove anything whilst carrying out the mot and there has to be a line somewhere.

nc30rider

Feb 8, 2009
Where ever the wife tells me
Just had the cars first MOT today and it initially failed, luckily I had the original bulbs to put back and the car was passed.
Reason for failure : the "white leds are deemed blue" by the transport tester - so before you take your pride and joy for its MOT remember to fit the old candles back!!
You CAN have white/blue LED's fitted as a auxiliary lamps but NOT has part of the side light array

That's Bullsh*t, some new high end cars don't have bulbs for sidelights, they infact have led's. Sure you would have a case if it was put to VOSA

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
That's Bullsh*t, some new high end cars don't have bulbs for sidelights, they infact have led's. Sure you would have a case if it was put to VOSA
Yes that was going to be the line I would have taken if it got nasty!! but it was done in good faith on both sides!! - but be warned. ..................................

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester

it's the interpretation of the colour that is the cause as it's left open to the tester's eye not the fact it's an led mind.

if you do fail for it and have a good case as to believe the colour has been misinterpreted then ask for an appeal.

a lot of cheap 'white' led's in all fairness do look blue to be honest and as time goes on then you will probably see the vosa handbooks get updated as more and more modern cars rely on led for lighting

current fad seems to be 'halogen' sidelights that are way brighter than the standard 5w

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
I have white sidelights in and a private plate with the space missing and mine went straight through its MOT at the dealers. I think that if you go there a lot and spend a lot of money with them then it's in their interest not to piss you off. Yes, "technically" it might be a failure however if they may potentially lose future business from you because they are being arsey about something so petty then it's not worth it for em! :)

Considering how much I've spent with them, they'll want to keep my custom! :)

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Most hid kits i see people driving round with are more blue than white , i cant see people keep taking these in and out to get them through an MOT?

seems a bit mad to me failing a car cause it has a slight blue hue to side lights , personaly there are better things to worry about like the reversing bulb doesnt light up sh*t , but hay ho thats politics for you.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members