Leon 2.0 184ps Maximum torque / DTUK CRD3+

jack rush

Jan 16, 2019
Hello!

New here. I've lurked for a while but never posted.

I've recently acquired a DTUK CRD3+ tuning box that came from a 2.0 184ps DSG. I'm hoping to fit to my own 2.0 184ps Manual, but I've read conflicting things regarding compatibiltiy.

Some have said that the CRD3+ needs to be reflashed with the software for a manual, others have said the software is the same, so it doesn't matter. DTUK support have told me I'd need to send it for a reflash (to be expected), and the seller said they work for DTUK and assures me the software is the same for both.

So what I'm trying to establish is a) has anyone had any experience with the CRD3+ and whether it'll require a software flash, and b) the maximum torque rating for the 2.0 184ps Manual. The quoted torque gain on DTUK is around 500nm, so I figure as long as the stock clutch can cover that there shouldn't be an issue with using the box as-is.

Thanks for any help!

Edit - poorly worded the last paragraph. total gain in torque is 120, taking it from 380 to 500.

Last edited:

davidstarkey11

Jun 7, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
It'd be worth its weight in gold if it could safely get 500nm extra torque in a family hatchback!

Not bad at all. I have a DTUK box in my 1.4 TSI and it makes a hell of a difference. Obviously no where near the performance of your 184TDI but the improvements from stock are fantastic.

A stab in the dark on your question... I would presume the box would need to be reflashed for a manual. Probably better to be safe than sorry IMO.

jack rush

Jan 16, 2019
Not bad at all. I have a DTUK box in my 1.4 TSI and it makes a hell of a difference. Obviously no where near the performance of your 184TDI but the improvements from stock are fantastic.

A stab in the dark on your question... I would presume the box would need to be reflashed for a manual. Probably better to be safe than sorry IMO.

I almost bit the bullet on the 1.4TSI, but they mysteriously dropped off the company car policy last year, which is why I ended up leasing the 2.0 TDI. That's also around about the time I realised we were being shafted on the company car scheme!

I think I probably will get it reflashed. It's £97 to get it done, and since I paid £200 for it, it's still a decent saving. Like you say - better safe than sorry.

cdpdesign

Jul 13, 2010
I had one of these on my Audi Q3 2.0 TDI which I believe is the same engine. I removed it after 3 weeks as I repeatedly got over pressure to egr valve and limp mode. I tried all modes and combinations and was quite disappointed. Mine had the correct map on it for certain.

jack rush

Jan 16, 2019
I had one of these on my Audi Q3 2.0 TDI which I believe is the same engine. I removed it after 3 weeks as I repeatedly got over pressure to egr valve and limp mode. I tried all modes and combinations and was quite disappointed. Mine had the correct map on it for certain.

That's disappointing!

I'll be sticking it straight back on eBay if I have the same experience

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
I keep meaning to buy one of these (secondhand). I've read plenty on boost sensor issues, but it looks like you've got to play with the settings to get a happy medium. I'd worry about when you need the power, ie overtaking, and it going into limp mode halfway past a lorry! (Happened to me before with a Ford with fuel pressure issues, and it's quite scary!!) They rarely come up on eBay with a map on it for a 184FR, usually come off a Golf GTD or Octavia VRS.

I think, for peace of mind, I'd get it reflashed. I'd always worry if there's something different between the Golf map and the Leon map. £97 takes the piss though, as I'm sure it can only be a 1 min job. But if you bought it from a guy who works for DTUK, he should know.

jack rush

Jan 16, 2019
I keep meaning to buy one of these (secondhand). I've read plenty on boost sensor issues, but it looks like you've got to play with the settings to get a happy medium. I'd worry about when you need the power, ie overtaking, and it going into limp mode halfway past a lorry! (Happened to me before with a Ford with fuel pressure issues, and it's quite scary!!) They rarely come up on eBay with a map on it for a 184FR, usually come off a Golf GTD or Octavia VRS.

I think, for peace of mind, I'd get it reflashed. I'd always worry if there's something different between the Golf map and the Leon map. £97 takes the piss though, as I'm sure it can only be a 1 min job. But if you bought it from a guy who works for DTUK, he should know.

Yeah I think I'll be testing it extensively before going for any overtaking or otherwise risky manoeuvres!

For peace of mind I think i'll probably get it reflashed. £97 seems steep for what I imagine is a simple job, but it is what it is I guess.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
Yeah I think I'll be testing it extensively before going for any overtaking or otherwise risky manoeuvres!

For peace of mind I think i'll probably get it reflashed. £97 seems steep for what I imagine is a simple job, but it is what it is I guess.
You say you've bought it from someone who works at DTUK, could you ask him if he could possibly do the reflash?
There's only a few companies that provide these boxes, and when compared to a decent remap, they can charge what they like.

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Bought a CRD3 for my 2.0 184 DSG a couple of weeks ago....noticed the difference straight away and touch wood havnt had any issue even with changing the settings.

DTUK say to try the 3 programs on 0 first to see what you like out of them and once you picked your one of how you like the power delivered you then start to alter that particular program.
By following what they suggest to do I havnt had a single issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary-182

May 27, 2017
I got a 3 channel Tdi Tuning box on my man. 184 st . Its been on 18 months and 20k miles . Been fantastic no issues

caz95

Jan 6, 2019
Looking at getting the DTUK box for my manual 184 FR, bit wary as I've never tuned or remapped any of my cars in the past. I think the stock 184 is a nippy car but does it completely change with a box??

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Following on from my last post here is a more detailed explanation and my results so far.

Had my CRD3 (with App control) on my 184 which is a DSG for 1 month now.

Plugged it in for the first time went out and oh my did I notice the torque!

So DTUK include a guide on what to do with the settings. You have P1, P2 and P3, they are all different power delivery methods which within themselves have 6 other settings -3 -2 -1 0 +1 +2 + 3 They suggest using the pre-programmed setting first P1 0.

After trying P1 P2 P3 I liked P3 for a while on +1 as the power was quite low down in the rev range but now I have moved back to P1 as the power seems much smoother over the entire rev range. I then put it to P1 +1 made the torque delivery a bit more punchy which is fun!

So after driving on P1 +1 for a about a week I decided to put it to P1 +2 and oh boy is there a difference! The amount of shove you get all the way through the rev range up to just over 4000rpm is crazy and you just see the speed climbing so quick! It has changed the car and I think I am going to be settled on this as I don't fancy pushing the car right up to +3.

Very happy with the box and the support from DTUK has been great!

If your going to buy one just make sure you get the App control for an extra £50 then you can change all the settings and look at live feedback from the sensors. Definitely just worth it for changing the settings so you don't have to stop the car...get out....open the bonnet....change the settings....close the bonnet....get in and drive. You can change the settings in motion and this way I found it very easy to compare the different modes straight after one another just to compare power delivery side by side.

Other bonuses is that with App control if you change cars you can upload new software to the module via the app for free! all you may have to pay for is a different wiring loom as different cars maybe different.

Well worth the money in my opinion!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.