Leon 2.0 TDI Coolant Leak - Common Causes?

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
Was just setting of on an evening out tonight when the coolant level sensor went off - Pulled into the local Asda and I've observed coolant in the engine bay, hitting the radiator - spots of, not a stream of (hard to see it happening even with the engine running).

Given the trajectory, I'm guessing its its at the front of the engine.

Is there anything common that goes in this area?

Any ideas appreciated! Breakdown Recovery on route to have a look and to recover to 2nd hand dealer if required.

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
:shrug:Lucky mate.Could have been the head gasket gone and the head warped like some on here have had happen.At least it is a visual leak but I've never had this one happen to me.Maybe a loose pipe or something.Sounds about right.

Last edited:

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
:shrug:Lucky mate.Could have been the head gasket gone and the head warped like some on here have had happen.At least it is a visual leak but I've never had this one happen to me.Maybe a loose pipe or something.Sounds about right.

No mayo and not a major leak so lets hope its not the HG!! Still within the dealers 6 months though, so hopefully they would cover whatever. If not in theory Warranty Direct should cover it...

GunnerCP

Jul 24, 2009
London
I had a new radiator replaced under warranty after maybe 3k miles. Coolant light came on, took it to the dealers and they refilled it but it came pissing out...... Crap customer service, no replacement vehicle (just directions to the nearest tube station) and a week later I got my car back..... needless to say the dealership is now closed.

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
Just a word of caution - keep a very careful eye on the temp and coolant level. If any further damage is done, you may be deemed liable by the warranty company.
Also, dont be tempted to use a stop-leak product as a temporary fix - may invalidate your warranty and cause more trouble than it cures.
We would pre-order a radiator so if that was the fault, it coul dbe fixed for you same day. If not, just return it to SEAT UK - they call it 'speculative ordering' and its a dealer standard to try and achieve First Time Fix ;)

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
Hi Mate,

Pulled in at next junction of the motorway, and filled it with coolant, "limped" it the four miles home, as you say, watching the temp/coolant level! Luckily not enough came out to drop it anywhere near below the normal mark.

Was towed by Green Flag this morning to the supplying dealer, and they are 90% sure its the Rad - although they cannot see the exact source of the leak, they have checked everywhere else, and this was also the breakdown recovery operator's opinion as well. So they've ordered a new one in. Also going to replace the thermostat at the same time as their mechanic was a little worried by the bottom of the radiator appearing not to get hot. Radiator is going to be covered under warranty which is good news!

Should have the car back Thursday - they want to drive it home thursday night to make sure nothing goes wrong with it (they know I have a 600 mile round trip to do at the weekend). The dealer owner's 10 mile drive home will hopefully give it a good enough road test to ensure that the rad was the problem (if this cannot be fully diagnosed once its off the vehicle).

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.