Leon 2.0TDI Gearbox Oil Change

thomasd221

Nov 9, 2022
Hi all,

I'm going to be changing the oil of the gearbox in my Seat Leon 184 2.0TDI with the 6-speed manual box. I can't seem to find a definitive answer on which oil I should be using. I know the capacity is between 2.1-2.3L. Some advice regarding which oil I should be using would be ideal, I believe it could be a 75W of some sort.

(As you can probably tell I'm quite new to doing this sort of stuff myself)

Thank you!

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
Not sure which flavour of gearbox the 184FR has, but if you go here, https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/resources/leon-mk3-official-seat-workshop-manuals-link.24/, you can download three workshop manuals for the 6-speed manual. They cover the 02S, 0AJ & (02Q+0FB - 4-wheel drive I think) individually. They show you how to identify which gearbox you have, oil quantity, how to refill, everything! Worth a read as there's bits like the selector has to be locked into place first, new O-rings needed, torque settings, etc.

Capacity is 2.1l. It's 2.3l for a complete rebuild.

thomasd221

Nov 9, 2022
Not sure which flavour of gearbox the 184FR has, but if you go here, https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/resources/leon-mk3-official-seat-workshop-manuals-link.24/, you can download three workshop manuals for the 6-speed manual. They cover the 02S, 0AJ & (02Q+0FB - 4-wheel drive I think) individually. They show you how to identify which gearbox you have, oil quantity, how to refill, everything! Worth a read as there's bits like the selector has to be locked into place first, new O-rings needed, torque settings, etc.

Capacity is 2.1l. It's 2.3l for a complete rebuild.
Thanks for the reply!

I’ve had a look at the workshop manual which provides a lot of helpful information! However, it doesn’t seem to specify which transmission oil I should be using.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The recommended VW Group grade/version of gearbox oils is included in any/all of the online VW Group parts catalogues - but first you would need to be able to identify the exact version of your gearbox. Okay, so VW Group don't actually design and/or manufacture oils, but they do tend to recommend different ones for different gearboxes, and I tend to stick with that. Castrol etc tend to supply a few different gearbox oils that cover a huge number of brands and versions of gearboxes, so maybe they are okay, or safe enough, to use, but normally not tested/approved to the exact VWGroup spec for their gearboxes.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Opie Oils recoomended these for my 184.

I appreciate it may not be that simple if there are gearbox variations.

I had mine changed at the start of the year and it has made 1st and 2nd less notchy and a tad smoother.

Reactions: Leonfrdiesel184

Giuseppe Busso

Ioannis
Jan 29, 2021
Greece
Check this one for manual 02S 6/1 gearbox (MQ250)

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Hi all,

I'm going to be changing the oil of the gearbox in my Seat Leon 184 2.0TDI with the 6-speed manual box. I can't seem to find a definitive answer on which oil I should be using. I know the capacity is between 2.1-2.3L. Some advice regarding which oil I should be using would be ideal, I believe it could be a 75W of some sort.

(As you can probably tell I'm quite new to doing this sort of stuff myself)

Thank you!
Have a read of this post:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise