Leon 2007 2.0TDI PD170 FR - Oil Confusion.

n0ble

Sep 14, 2006
Hi,

Can someone please advise of the correct oil for this engine, i'm getting mixed responses and i'm not sure which is correct.

One garage says 505 will be fine, then another suggests 506 and i have just been googling and also noticed that 507 is suggested.

Which is the correct spec that i should be using?

Thanks
Lee

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
If you have the dpf (which I'm sure you have on the 170) then you need VW506.01 - 0w 30 as a minimum. However, that spec has now been superceded by VW504/507 - 5w 30.

So you need an oil that is 5w 30 weight and has VW504/507 on the spec list. Nothing else, unless you want to go backwards and have VW506.01 (I wouldn't!).

n0ble

Sep 14, 2006
Thankyou Viking!

Much appreciated, what oil would you recommend and where to get it from at a good price?

I previously used Castrol Edge.

Thanks

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
I use Gulf GVX.

Although any oil manufacturer would be okay, I prefer to stay with a decent brand name and avoid the Halfords own brand, Comma sort of stuff.

Edit: Register as a forum member on Opie oils and receive a discount.

n0ble

Sep 14, 2006
I'm thinking of getting this oil.

Castrol SLX LongLife III Professional Powerflow 5W-30

Think that should do the trick?

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Personally I avoid Castrol. That particular oil may or may not carry the required specs. Castrol make a good few oils which are 5w 30 and don't meet the VW spec, although they meet other manufacturers specs such as BMW or Merc. Don't buy oil based on manufacturers advertising blurb or weight alone. The VW spec is all important. Without that it's not the right oil.

n0ble

Sep 14, 2006
The oil carries the vw504/vw507 so would you still recommend against it?

I thought Castrol oils were good?

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Nothing much against Castrol oils. More an issue with Castrol as a company. They took out a court case a few years ago to be allowed to call their semi synthetic oil "synthetic" when the rest of the oil world were calling their fully synthetic oil "synthetic". As such I'm not convinced that they're a reputable company. They just wanted their inferior oil to be classed as a product it clearly wasn't. Like I said, manufacturers advertising isn't something to take as gospel.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.