Leon AC swap to Climatronic???

mjtuning

Hey,
I have a 2002 Leon tdi with the normal a/c system. Can i install the climatronic?
What I need then? climatronic module/display, new center console, ...???? is wire harness same or??

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
The climatronic module is expensive so make sure you have the wiring loom before you buy. Do lots of research first!! i would look at your wiring then go to a scrap yard and look at one with climate and see if you have it. you would need a new facia too.

I would say dont bother i dont think you have the wiring for it and it would be mega expensive to do . but i might be wrong and you could have the wiring for it and it might just be a case of plug and play.

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
Possibly needs extra sensors installing behind the new fascia too, to detect cabin temperature, I doubt a non-climatronic Leon would have them from the factory. I think there's two sensors, one in the headlining and one behind a little "grill" in the center console, but don't quote me.

Yes there is you are right. You would need the 2 sensors aswell.

The price is spiraling out of control now!!!:cry:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The biggest difference, and the most work, would be the motorised actuators. Flaps control the airflow to screen, cabin or footwells, recirculation/fresh air, and air temperature - they'd have to be replaced with the motorised ones. With the manual controls you provide the force with the levers via Bowden cables. The fan speed control is also electronic, replacing the rotary switch.

There are two or three extra sensors for cabin air temperature, one for inlet air temperature, and a sunlight sensor on the scuttle panel.

There is an additional wiring harness for the Climatronic components.

Here's a diagram of the cabin ventilation components I've put together, as I seem to be answering this question several times. Hope this helps.

Heatingandairconsystem.jpg

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The practical effect that I've noticed is that it increases the fan speed when sunlight hits the windscreen. Quite a large glass area, so there will be a greenhouse effect as well as direct heating by radiation.

In checking up for this drawing I found that the intake for recirculated air is under the dash, in the driver's footwell - the one that gets wet when the door seals fail. I suspect that excessive misting when using the recirculation is a symptom of water in the footwells - could just be wet shoes of course. And in any case the cooler doesn't take all the water out of the air, just a lot of it.

On lhd cars that is the passenger side, which makes more sense.

Jan 11, 2009
bstoke
I'd steer well clear of this not because of cost as i picked up a replacement climate unit for £40 from scrap but because of electrics, with my electrical knowledge I would turn it into a 1.4 tonne petrol bomb with a random spark trigger :)

itfben

DsignVinyl.com
Oct 24, 2009
nr. Tunbridge Wells
The biggest difference, and the most work, would be the motorised actuators. Flaps control the airflow to screen, cabin or footwells, recirculation/fresh air, and air temperature - they'd have to be replaced with the motorised ones. With the manual controls you provide the force with the levers via Bowden cables. The fan speed control is also electronic, replacing the rotary switch.

There are two or three extra sensors for cabin air temperature, one for inlet air temperature, and a sunlight sensor on the scuttle panel.

There is an additional wiring harness for the Climatronic components.

Here's a diagram of the cabin ventilation components I've put together, as I seem to be answering this question several times. Hope this helps.

Heatingandairconsystem.jpg

So what would you actually need to do the conversion from the twist dials to the digital climate control unit so it all works properally?

daboy3000

No Longer a Seat owner
Jul 2, 2008
Oxted
Don't wish to threadnap but my Climate control does not allow the aircon to work when its bellow about 3 degres, is this normal for Seats as i never had this with any other VAG cars i've owned.

daboy3000

No Longer a Seat owner
Jul 2, 2008
Oxted
Yeah, it's a safety thing I believe. If it's too cold the system (or parts thereof) could freeze up and cause damage. I'm sure my old Golf used to do the same thing, even though that was manual AC and not Climatronic, so I'm surprised you haven't come across this before as a VAG owner.

I'm sure i would have noticed it but maybe i didn't. I used to be a VW salesman, no one ever mentioned it! :lol:

mikeholroyd

Don't wish to threadnap but my Climate control does not allow the aircon to work when its bellow about 3 degres, is this normal for Seats as i never had this with any other VAG cars i've owned.

I found this with my 1.6 recently. I got a mobile air con service engineer up to regass and service the whole air con system, he drained it, and the vacuum left pulled only a fraction of the new gas in. To get to the correct amount of gas, the air con pump needed to be run, and because it was so cold outside, the air con wouldn't switch on, and he had to come back the following day once the car had been warmed up in the garage, with 3 halogen heaters going all night!

Mike

May 13, 2007
Denmark
I actually bought the clima control unit yesterday, just because it was so cheap!... I get a feeling I'm missing alot of parts... LOL

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
itfben wrote

So what would you actually need to do the conversion from the twist dials to the digital climate control unit so it all works properally?

Find out if your wiring harness has all the connections you need. Buy any needed extra harnesses.
Add the compressor, cooling matrix, condenser radiator, pipework, new v-belt and etc. if you don't already have the air cooling bits (often referred to as aircon).
Add in all the sensors I've helpfully listed in green as Climatronic only.
Change all the bowden-cable operated flaps for servomotor flaps. Don't know if they are replaceable piecemeal or if you need to replace all the cabin air trunking.

You may have to change the cabin air blower fan for one that is compatible with the Climatronic control unit.

Add in the Climatronic control unit.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The air cooling compressor is disabled below about 3°C, and the explanation I've heard that makes sense is that it is to avoid the cooling matrix icing up and blocking the cabin ventilation altogether. You get no benefit from cooling at low outside air temperatures anyway. The Climatronic system shows you that the compressor is off by not displaying the "snowflake". Manually controlled cars also disable the compressor, they just don't tell you about it.

May 13, 2007
Denmark
Aircon unit drawing:
A80-0060.bmp

Climate unit:
A87-0138.bmp

Btw. all the flaps/motors are in the actual climate unit, so it seems like the ducting is the same.

May 13, 2007
Denmark
did u have aircon before then are you doind a conversion from a/c to climate unit? is the air con the one with the dials and climate unit the one with screen and buttons to turn up n down the heating etc?

Correct, but I havent done the conversion yet, as I just stumbled accros the climate unit and bought it... lol