Leon Cupra 280 Automatic Boot Release.

bcameron1983

May 5, 2016
Just thought I'd share some information I found out today.
I'm sure everybody knows that if you press the boot button on the key it unlocks the boot, but did you know that if you hold it for about 3-5 seconds it actually releases the boot?!?
Unfortunately the stock boot gas struts only apply 415NM of force, not enough to actually open the boot.
Apparently the required force is about 515NM and the gas struts I've posted below are suitable for a Mk3 Leon.

I can only post the Ebay item number because I haven't made enough posts to use a URL

Ebay Item No. 371582121588

I'll be trying this out myself and will update with the results, if anyone else has tried this then let us know how you got on, cheers.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I fitted stronger struts on my MK2 got bored off it eventually as it made it harder to close.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
The ones I used are from a Germany company called 'Stabilus' and the code was 017468. I got them via E-bay.

milnei

Jun 26, 2015
Brackley, Northamptonshire
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's done this whether they noticed any issues such as wind noise, odd panel gaps or difficulty latching the tailgate.

I work in the industry and I know that the body metal is designed with a small amount of bend so when the tailgate is shut the pressure from the strut straightens out the tailgate so the panel gaps are consistent.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
On my MK2 it made the boot harder to close, also in the winter with the cold they wouldn't always open.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.