Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Cupra R STCarbon Edition
Exterior
  1. Black grills with copper accents and no fog lights
  2. S badges in Copper and black Cupra flag on front grill.

3. CUPRA lettering on rear in Copper and R badge in black.
  4. Carbon Fibre Spoiler
  5. 19" Cupra R Wheels in Copper with Offset of ET45 and Copper Centre caps.
  6. Black Brembo brakes
Exterior
  1. Standard Cupra Grills with fog lights
  2. S Badges in Chrome with standard Cupra flags with "300" on rear.
  3. CUPRA Lettering in Chrome
  4. Standard Cupra ST Spoiler
  5. 19" Cupra R Wheels in Diamond Cut with Offset of ET50
  6. Red Brembo brakes
Interior
  1. Bucket seats with copper stitching Half Leather/Half Alcantara and Carbon Fibre Effect trim.
  2. Alcantara steering wheel with Copper S and no flag.
  3. Carbon fibre cloth effect on whole of door card.
  4. Version A/B of Virtual Cockpit with central Rev Counter and Sport display (5 views)
  5. Additional options similar to Lux Spec, however this depends on the country as well. UK Should include Wireless charging and Keyless.
Interior
  1. Bucket seats with white stitching. Half Leather/Half Alcantara and Carbon Fibre Effect trim.
  2. Standard Leather Steering Wheel with Cooper S and Cupra Flag
  3. Standard Carbon Fibre cloth effect and Alcantara door cards.
  4. Original Version of Virtual Cockpit (3 views)
  5. Otherwise equipment is same as a standard (Non Lux) Cupra ST
Engine
  1. Later 300 (296hp) model with Petrol Particulate filter and only direct injection.

2. No resonator on exhaust as has PPFs in parrallel after the Cat.
  3. ABT module in Europe pumps this engine up to 350PS (345hp - on paper)

4. ABT module available and retain warranty at dealer for £500 in UK.
Engine
  1. Earlier 300PS (296hp) model without PPF, direct injection and port injection.
  2. Resonator as part of cat back system. No PPF.
  3. ABT module in Europe pumps this engine up to 370PS (365hp - on paper)
  4. No ABT module available in UK. ~€2,000 in Europe but retain warranty.
Gearbox
  1. 7 speed DSG
Gearbox
  1. 6 speed DSG
Suspension
  1. Revised front struts giving the car more camber, -2.0 degrees.
  2. Rear suspension same, but camber set to -2.0 degrees (within normal tolerances for adjustment).
Suspension
  1. Same as any Cupra 300 ST 4Drive, Front Camber -1.28 degrees.
  2. Rear camber -1.5 degrees.

Last edited:

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
So some of the differences are quite minor.

The important ones for me are:

Better on R ST:

Suspension - I've had camber plates fitted to my Carbon Edition, but this was before the R ST was confirmed and I run -2.5.

Wider offset wheels.

Carbon rear wing - Very pricy

Front grills that replace fog lights - Very easy to get hold of now.

Better Virtual Cockpit - So much so I had this retro fitted.

Gearbox - 7th gear helps a lot with fuel economy.

Beast Audio - Had Seat Sound retro fitted to mine as missed in from my 280 ST.

General spec - Cupra Lux was a better spec than the Carbon Editions. Carbon Editions just got the standard spec, plus buckets and the visual stuff.

Better on Carbon Edition:

Engine, no PPF to mess the sound of the exhaust up and port injection as well. Easier to tune.

Red Brembo brakes and no copper.

Just my opinion mind.

Also worth noting, only 42 Carbons in the UK (Was supposed to be 50), vs 152 R ST's (was supposed to be 150). Can't 100% confirm but another owner claimed that less Carbon Editions where made across Europe than the Cupra R hatch, making it the rarest Mk 3 in Europe. But the Carbon Edition outside the UK was just a trim level, not a special edition, hence its not numbred, but was not available in many countries. This is the same with the R ST, it was just a trim level in Europe and didn't get numbered.

Dec 7, 2021

Better on R ST:

Suspension - I've had camber plates fitted to my Carbon Edition, but this was before the R ST was confirmed and I run -2.5.

Wider offset wheels.

General spec - Cupra Lux was a better spec than the Carbon Editions. Carbon Editions just got the standard spec, plus buckets and the visual stuff.

Engine, no PPF to mess the sound of the exhaust up and port injection as well. Easier to tune.

Just my opinion mind.

Also worth noting, only 42 Carbons in the UK (Was supposed to be 50), vs 152 R ST's (was supposed to be 150). Can't 100% confirm but another owner claimed that less Carbon Editions where made across Europe than the Cupra R hatch, making it the rarest Mk 3 in Europe. But the Carbon Edition outside the UK was just a trim level, not a special edition, hence its not numbred, but was not available in many countries. This is the same with the R ST, it was just a trim level in Europe and didn't get numbered.
Thank you mate I really appreciate that! My question now is if I wanted to update/ upgrade the digital cockpit is that as simple as a software upgrade or is it a full retrofit with different hardware? Also do you think the seat sound upgrade is worth it. I'm not as fussed about the performance hardware at the moment. Biggest concern was interior features. And again thank you for your time.

Dec 7, 2021

Better on R ST:

Wider offset wheels.

Just my opinion mind.

I got my carbon edition for £27K with 13k miles on an 18 so it's about £10k less than the R ST on the market just wondering if you thought that's a good deal considering the market at the moment?

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Great comparison by Damo H.

Couple of things missed.

R ST
Heated seats (don’t know about Carbon)
Keyless entry and start
Reversing Camera
Wireless charging (don’t know about carbon)

Also the Lane Assist/Adaptive Cruise/traffic sign recognition/Beats Audio was only on EU cars not UK ones

Dec 7, 2021

Couple of things missed.

R ST
Keyless entry and start
Reversing Camera

Also the Lane Assist/Adaptive Cruise/traffic sign recognition/Beats Audio was only on EU cars not UK ones
Is it difficult to retro fit the lane assist / adaptive cruise?

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front

Couple of things missed.

R ST
Keyless entry and start
Reversing Camera

Yeah all the buckets seats are heated. :)

The other things I was covering off by origianlly saying "Additional options like Lane Assist, Traffic sign recognition Brats Audio, not 100% on exact spec but similar to Lux."

Although didn't know about the Lane Assist/Adaptive Cruise/traffic sign recognition/Beats Audio being Europe only. Edited just now.

Last edited:

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Is it difficult to retro fit the lane assist / adaptive cruise?
I had them on my 280 and definitely did not miss them when I got the Carbon.

@paddy6789 didn't have them on his 290, but then got them on his Cupra R (hatch) (we collected our cars on the same day). He ended up wishing he hadn't got them.

However I can vouch for @East Yorkshire Retrofits who did my Seat Sound and updated Virtual Cockpit.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Thank you mate I really appreciate that! My question now is if I wanted to update/ upgrade the digital cockpit is that as simple as a software upgrade or is it a full retrofit with different hardware? Also do you think the seat sound upgrade is worth it. I'm not as fussed about the performance hardware at the moment. Biggest concern was interior features. And again thank you for your time.
Just noticed this reply.

Virtual Cockpit needs a new unit, software doesn't work sadly. Some have tried it and bricked their units. I suspect the newer units have more memory to cope with the extra screen options.

The upshot is you can get it retrofitted, and then sell your old unit. Its still not cheap. Even if you sell your old unit for a good price expect to spend £500-£600 (unit alone is like £800 now)

Alex09

Jan 13, 2022
Cupra R STCarbon Edition
Exterior
  1. Black grills with copper accents and no fog lights
  2. S badges in Copper and black Cupra flag on front grill.

3. CUPRA lettering on rear in Copper and R badge in black.
  4. Carbon Fibre Spoiler
  5. 19" Cupra R Wheels in Copper with Offset of ET45 and Copper Centre caps.
  6. Black Brembo brakes
Exterior
  1. Standard Cupra Grills with fog lights
  2. S Badges in Chrome with standard Cupra flags with "300" on rear.
  3. CUPRA Lettering in Chrome
  4. Standard Cupra ST Spoiler
  5. 19" Cupra R Wheels in Diamond Cut with Offset of ET50
  6. Red Brembo brakes
Interior
  1. Bucket seats with copper stitching Half Leather/Half Alcantara and Carbon Fibre Effect trim.
  2. Alcantara steering wheel with Copper S and no flag.
  3. Carbon fibre cloth effect on whole of door card.
  4. Version A/B of Virtual Cockpit with central Rev Counter and Sport display (5 views)
  5. Additional options similar to Lux Spec, however this depends on the country as well. UK Should include Wireless charging and Keyless.
Interior
  1. Bucket seats with white stitching. Half Leather/Half Alcantara and Carbon Fibre Effect trim.
  2. Standard Leather Steering Wheel with Cooper S and Cupra Flag
  3. Standard Carbon Fibre cloth effect and Alcantara door cards.
  4. Original Version of Virtual Cockpit (3 views)
  5. Otherwise equipment is same as a standard (Non Lux) Cupra ST
Engine
  1. Later 300 (296hp) model with Petrol Particulate filter and only direct injection.

2. No resonator on exhaust as has PPFs in parrallel after the Cat.
  3. ABT module in Europe pumps this engine up to 350PS (345hp - on paper)

4. ABT module available and retain warranty at dealer for £500 in UK.
Engine
  1. Earlier 300PS (296hp) model without PPF, direct injection and port injection.
  2. Resonator as part of cat back system. No PPF.
  3. ABT module in Europe pumps this engine up to 370PS (365hp - on paper)
  4. No ABT module available in UK. ~€2,000 in Europe but retain warranty.
Gearbox
  1. 7 speed DSG
Gearbox
  1. 6 speed DSG
Suspension
  1. Revised front struts giving the car more camber, -2.0 degrees.
  2. Rear suspension same, but camber set to -2.0 degrees (within normal tolerances for adjustment).
Suspension
  1. Same as any Cupra 300 ST 4Drive, Front Camber -1.28 degrees.
  2. Rear camber -1.5 degrees.
Hi @Damo H, i take time to read all posts about cupra R settings and camber (not only on this forum and only this one), your post is very interesting because i see that cupra R has not the same front struts as simple cupra. And as i understant, this parts allowed the -2 of camber on front. Are we able to find the reference of this OEM parts? I understand the cupra R wheels in ET45 allowed wider chassis, is it the only differences? I read that Cupra R has specific steering and schock absorber settings, true or false? (maybe this is because negative camber and front struts...).

If my questions are not clear i can explain better ;)

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Hi @Damo H, i take time to read all posts about cupra R settings and camber (not only on this forum and only this one), your post is very interesting because i see that cupra R has not the same front struts as simple cupra. And as i understant, this parts allowed the -2 of camber on front. Are we able to find the reference of this OEM parts? I understand the cupra R wheels in ET45 allowed wider chassis, is it the only differences? I read that Cupra R has specific steering and schock absorber settings, true or false? (maybe this is because negative camber and front struts...).

If my questions are not clear i can explain better ;)
No need to explain :)

The Cupra R has the same parts as the Golf GTi Clupsport S, and information on this shoudl be easier to find. Although I'm not aware it has specific shocks or springs to the Cupra R compared to the normal Cupra or Clubsport S.

You can usually find more info on the Clubsport S parts than the Cupra R as there are a lot more ClubSport S's.

A quick google found this...

Last edited:

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
@Damo H

I think that there is a difference between ‘GTI Clubsport’ and ‘GTI Clubsport S’ versions of the golf. The ‘S’ model is very rare too and 2nd hand prices are north of £40k.

I would have assumed that it’s the S model that has the different suspension set up.

Last edited:

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
@Damo H

I think that their is a difference between ‘GTI Clubsport’ and ‘GTI Clubsport S’ versions of the golf. The ‘S’ model is very rare too and 2nd hand prices are north of £40k.

I would have assumed that it’s the S model that has the different suspension set up.
Clubsport S had the revised camber, no rear seats, only 3 door and the Golf R engine (and turbo) rather than the Performance Pack GTi Engine etc etc of the Clubsport.

Although having googled it I thought there were 1,500 of them, turns out there were only 400.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
👍 - just re-read my post. Should have said that the link above was more focussed at the Clubsport model.

Reactions: Damo H

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
👍 - just re-read my post. Should have said that the link above was more focussed at the Clubsport model.
Ahhh right! I've posted the wrong link!

Fixed, but also new link here:

Ignore the initial comment, the comments later have the details on the knuckles.

Last edited:

Alex09

Jan 13, 2022
I read all I can on this forum @Damo H, thanks.
as I understand, negative camber for the clubsport S is -2 front and -2’15 rear (but don’t care the rear as it’s possible to set).
i see that maybe one piece is the key of this camber difference on clubsport S, hub carriers: réf 5Q0407253E and 5Q0407254E (left and right). With 85mm bearing instead of 80.
I went on carprog and I can find that cupra R and cupra st have this part.

If I’m not wrong, negative camber from R comes from other side of this this part is common to cupra and cupra r…

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.