Leon Cupra or Audi S3 intercooler.

Poverty

Just found some figures on the two. There were some people who argued that there isnt a benefit of a S3 cooler over the standard Cupra/FR cooler but like people who have the S3 fitted I would just like to point out that these comments are WRONG!

The S3 cooler will lower intake temps, and recovers more quickly inbetween WOT sessions than the standard intercooler. The car will also be able to sustain higher power for longer and reduces lag, as even when running with just a map on a cupra it will start to suffer from heatsoak. This will also reflect on a dyno.

A uprated cooler will also increase the turbo life span as it will have to not work as hard to produce the same requested boost at the manifold.

FR/Cupra intercooler has a cubic area of 8.63, S3 cooler has a cubic area of 10.13 and has cast end tanks instead of plastic ones.

Hope this helps people in their decision of whether to upgrade or not, and has nothing to do with the fact that I have a s3 cooler for sale :cartman:

standard

DSC01430.JPG

s3

DSC01431.JPG

both

DSC01429.JPG

[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Love my s3 cooler, could tell the difference straight away, also got it for a really really good price 1:5 of the APR so carnt complain.

Poverty

Love my s3 cooler, could tell the difference straight away, also got it for a really really good price 1:5 of the APR so carnt complain.

Straight from the horses mouth. Some of the most powerful and high profile stage 2 plus cupras on this site have a s3 cooler.

VAG prices have gone up for this, but even still over the stupidly expensive APR one for example its perfect value for money.

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
i have an s3 cooler and also noticed a differance straight away with lower spool and less heatsoak overall. that twinned with an s3 twintercooler and you have about as good as your gonna get

Lee M

and has nothing to do with the fact that I have a s3 cooler for sale :cartman:
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I bet, nothing at all.................lol :bleh:

What do you have on your's now then mate? I was thinking twintercooler instead of the S3 intercooler, after my warranty runs out.

Cheers

Lee

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
Agreed, got to take the front off anyhow and the S3 i/c isn't too dear, probably would've gone down that road if I'd known more at the time, did a lot of work in a short time on mine courtesy of a crash course on this forum, got lucky I guess, could've made a lot of ****-ups but didn't!

Lee M

Agreed, got to take the front off anyhow and the S3 i/c isn't too dear, probably would've gone down that road if I'd known more at the time, did a lot of work in a short time on mine courtesy of a crash course on this forum, got lucky I guess, could've made a lot of ****-ups but didn't!

Hi mate,

So you left your standard intercooler on and then fitted the twintercooler?

Poverty

Where have you got it advertised Pov? How much you asking?

Its not for sale anymore. The replacement fell through, which im really not happy about :cry:

what cooler are you putting on pov

THS one.

if you get an s3 cooler and along with twintercooler is one of the best setups availible i think

It will deffo have the greatest surface and cubic area over the THS and APR units, but im not entirely happy with how the twintercooler design means that you will end up stacking up rads, and how the air flow and pressure differentials across the main cooler and the twintercooler will affect even air cooling distribution.

However one things for certain im not gonna pay 600 quid for a intercooler, so im gonna see if I can come up with a more cost effective solution other than ths, apr and forge

Last edited by a moderator:

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
It will deffo have the greatest surface and cubic area over the THS and APR units, but im not entirely happy with how the twintercooler design means that you will end up stacking up rads, and how the air flow and pressure differentials across the main cooler and the twintercooler will affect even air cooling distribution.

The Twintercooler sits bang in the cool air coming through the lower grille though!

Poverty

The Twintercooler sits bang in the cool air coming through the lower grille though!

Yes that is true, but it then proceeds to block air flow at the same time to the rads behind it. There was a case of a guy in australia who fitted one to his TTS and due to the stacking up of rads it restricted cool air flow to his gearbox which proceeded to overheat and send his car into limp mode. Bit of a extreme case, especially as in the UK our cars wont get anywhere as hot as ozzie land, but still shows the disadvantages of that design. There is no question that the twintercooler works, but I personally would prefer to have just one dedicated cooler.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.