Leon FR / Cupra 150 Tdi - chip and clutch qu

mr_merc

Oct 22, 2008
Yes, it's the age old question...

I have searched for the question of whether I should get a new clutch when chipping this car, in order to get the full potential out of the engine and transmission and it seems (read: is obvious) from reading that an uprated clutch must be done with the chip.

Having spoken to Jabbasport they have offered an uprated Sachs and custom remap (330 ish lb/ft) for circa £1,100. That seems a bit expensive for me, especially when you consider the remap is only £400 all in and that takes a couple of hours by itself.

Any thoughts on where else I could get an uprated clutch done before it goes to Jabbasport?

Thanks in anticipation.

James.

olaf

Dodo Lover!!
Aug 19, 2006
Ipswich
AMD are doing an offer on Sachs clutches at the moment I think. They can also do you a remap ;)

You might not need one, you might need one straight away, you might need one after X thousand miles, it's a bit of a lottery.

mr_merc

Oct 22, 2008
Okay. Was not sure about getting AMD to do it as I want a custom map and had been recommended Jabbasport.

Will email AMD and see what they say.

mr_merc

Oct 22, 2008
AMD are doing an offer on Sachs clutches at the moment I think. They can also do you a remap ;)

You might not need one, you might need one straight away, you might need one after X thousand miles, it's a bit of a lottery.

Much as I am happy for them to do a remap, their clutch kit fitted is £1,200 :(

Perhaps if Jabbasport are offering the custom remap and clutch kit for £1,000 ish then that's a good offer after all.

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
Performance Torque quoted me around £900ish for a new clutch and custom remap... £1100 is very high in my opinion.

surely these companies are being hit by the credit crunch? dropping the prices would see me visiting them sooner than later :)

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Get the clutch yourself and get a local garage (compitent but not specailists) and try save some labour costs.

Then you have the choice of where you go for mapping.

mr_merc

Oct 22, 2008
Performance Torque quoted me around £900ish for a new clutch and custom remap... £1100 is very high in my opinion.

surely these companies are being hit by the credit crunch? dropping the prices would see me visiting them sooner than later :)

You see, that's more like it.

I don't know a great deal about performance torque though, to be honest and whether their mapping services are good, or even where they're based (I'm based in Milton Keynes).

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
they have their own forum section like all the compaines mentioned above. all are respected by customers on this forum.

at £900ish it did not include a new flywheel.... if yours is fine there will be no need for a new one.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Flywheel vibrates like a rabbit if booting it from low revs (typicaly below 2k RPM)

I have a uprated clutch and my DMF still has lots of chatter if I boot it below 2.1K RPM.

mr_merc

Oct 22, 2008
Tempted to ask Jabbasport if they'll do a custom remap and http://www.jabbasport.com/store/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=JSCK6SPDSACHSTDI for £1,000 fitted.

That does appear to include the cost of a flywheel. Do I really need a new DMF if the car has only done 33k miles?

I would prefer to get it done all at once to be honest. Hopefully they'd do a deal if they did it all at once.

I've done the searches on here, but there are so many conflicting views and opinions. All I need to really know is whether it's a good price and whether the parts I'd be getting them to fit are correct.

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
I'd be surprised if that quote includes a new DMF. They wouldn't offer to put one in unless (upon inspection) your one was knackered. I would check with that quote but I'm sure its just a clutch and map.

On the assumption that your DMF is fine (should be at 33k) then I do not belive there is any need for you to change it. There are several on hear running much more power through their DMF's than you will be with no problem.

Just clutch and map will be fine (ignoring the list of other mods you can do)

Personally I would have the exhaust changed and a panel filter before you get the map in order to optimise it. This assumes that you will one day get a more free flowing exhaust.

mr_merc

Oct 22, 2008
Excellent answer, thank you for clarifying that all for me.

I don't want to change the car too much from standard, so at best it may have a panel filter put in, but no exhaust.

With an uprated clutch and possibly a panel filter, I am just hoping for a nice increase in power, torque and hopefully fuel consumption off boost for 80% of my driving. If I make 180 bhp and 310 lb/ft, that will suit me fine!