Leon FR PD170 TDi Injector problem

Aspo0407

First post onto the forum and it's unfortunately down to a bad experience :(

Recently my beloved 56 plate Leon (of which I've had from new) suddenly cut out and came to a halt. Managed to get it to my supplying dealer to have it checked out. Initial thoughts were fuel pump related but after 2 and a half days of testing and diagnostics, was found to be a faulty injector #4. Was told that the other 3 injectors wouldn't work due to this hence no fuel. Also the wiring loom, which physically runs in the engine head needed to be replaced. Total bill - £960!!! :cry: Asked them to do the cambelt at the same time as it was about due. Finally got the car back after a week off the road.

Was told by the dealer that I was extremely unlucky for this to happen as the parts are quite sparse on the VAG/Seat parts availability as they don't generally fail. The dealer took pity on me and knocked about £150 off the bill after they'd done the cambelt replacement as well. (fully recommend RM Fisher of Galgate - nr Lancaster)

Hope none of you guys have to go through this!!!!

Louigee

Me too, car been off road for three weeks now for what was initially reported as an ECU fault, new ECU ordered, still same!! Now they saying its the injector (which they said had already been checked)

Its all on another thread but my symptoms were exactly same as yours...just a shame my dealer couldnt diagnose it straight away!!!

Feel for you chap, just hope this rarely fail item doesnt happen too often!!!!

delboyuk2005uk

Jan 25, 2009
St Helens
Mine was like that and was off the road for 2-3 weeks. One day got into the car after work drove round the corner then boom everything just cut off after about a minute.

Flashed up a fault on the dahobard needs to go back to the workshop. Luckily I was in warranty otherwise would of been a huge bill for me also.

1st checks they tryed to say to me that I put the wrong fuel into the car. ER NO. So stood my ground and they just said they get back to me.

In the end after a few calls they just rang me after a few weeks and said your car is ready.

I think they said it was a fuel injector what needed replacement. So I told them I want all the diesel which you drained from the car back as it was over 2/3rds full.

They said well we never took any deisel as we never drained it.

Thats what I thought they would do so they will know if it was contaminated or not.

So sometimes you need to watch these delaers trying to pass this off as me putting the wrong fuel into the car.

spacedmonkeys

Jan 4, 2010
Birmingham
I had the same problem few months ago, apparrently its a common fault on all the vag 2.0 deisel engines. Seat will play the innocent. Had to pay for all the repairs myself, 2 months out of warranty.

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
It is a common problem on VAG and Merc's over about 4yrs old - same supplier !! see Honest johns web site. .....................!! Be interesting ti find out if MB treat the problem with more customer care @?!!

jasonbarry

I have just had the same problem occur with a failed injector on my Leon FR TDI 170 and have been quoted £1015 for the repairs with the injector costing £474 plus VAT. Does anyone know if Seat have issued a Technical Service Bulletin on this type of problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Never seen a service bulletin for it!

If mine go im wacking some Race injectors in there bollox to Seat's normal injectors

spacedmonkeys

Jan 4, 2010
Birmingham
So how many of us is that now? and thats just the Leon's... nevermind the other Golf/Skoda/Passat injectors that Ive read about on the net...

Also jasonbarry you probably want to look at the other thread created today "died at 80mph on motorway" I put some links in there.

Last edited:

jasonbarry

So how many of us is that now? and thats just the Leon's... nevermind the other Golf/Skoda/Passat injectors that Ive read about on the net...

Also jasonbarry you probably want to look at the other thread created today "died at 80mph on motorway" I put some links in there.

Thanks Spaced Monkey, I have seen that and will see if Seat are willing to do a goodwill payment for the repairs or at least cover the replacement part. Have been advised by a master technician who used to work for a Seat dealership to ask about TSBs and push hard for a goodwill payment. Injectors shouldn't be failing at under 4 years and 56K miles.

Chris2000

Hi guys new here and yep snap... yesterday... engine just cuts out on my FR TDi 170 bought in 2007 as the last day of 56 reg... no mechs have looked at it yet and I know little about car mechanics so looking about for ideas of what it could be...

AA guy tested the power to the pump and all seemed ok, it turns over there is power to the pump but no fuel gets to the engine (tested as Quickstart in the air intake gets it running).

Sadly I am at 56k miles but now 6 months out of warrantee... By the sounds of it I should be hoping its the pump rather than an injector... Whats the sorts of cost you guys have been stung with for either/or the pump or injectors? Just so I can prepare my self for the damage... is there any hope it not going to be over the 1000 barrier? for a 3.5 year old car with under 60k seems like a bit of a whack...

jasonbarry

Hi guys new here and yep snap... yesterday... engine just cuts out on my FR TDi 170 bought in 2007 as the last day of 56 reg... no mechs have looked at it yet and I know little about car mechanics so looking about for ideas of what it could be...

AA guy tested the power to the pump and all seemed ok, it turns over there is power to the pump but no fuel gets to the engine (tested as Quickstart in the air intake gets it running).

Sadly I am at 56k miles but now 6 months out of warrantee... By the sounds of it I should be hoping its the pump rather than an injector... Whats the sorts of cost you guys have been stung with for either/or the pump or injectors? Just so I can prepare my self for the damage... is there any hope it not going to be over the 1000 barrier? for a 3.5 year old car with under 60k seems like a bit of a whack...

I have been quoted £1015 to replace an injector which is a £75 initial diagnostic, then 4 hours labour and refit. It's the part that stings you as £474 plus VAT. Mine is same age/mileage and a full SEAT service so hoping for a good will payment.

Chris2000

I have been quoted £1015 to replace an injector which is a £75 initial diagnostic, then 4 hours labour and refit. It's the part that stings you as £474 plus VAT. Mine is same age/mileage and a full SEAT service so hoping for a good will payment.

Eaxtly the same bought as ex-demo from the dealer it is at, and serviced with them every time... I can only hope the fact it hasn't even broken 60k is enough to get them to pay for the part at least... but when my Ibiza needed work and I was litrally on the last day of warrantee they where getting funny about it... but then that was a private sale and the service histroy was not all dealership either...

We shall see tomorrow when I call them... they haven't even done diags on it yet. Love the car but if it cost me over 1k to get it running again its getting sold and I won't buy Seat again... After getting to drive my mates RS last night I'm tempted :)

Chris2000

Out of curiosity what fuel you guys been putting in yours?

Standard Diesel or the Ultimate/Power versions?

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Seriously guy's if it is getting this bad ALL VAG owner's send block email's to TV’s watchdog, together with MB cars, this is the only way the group will take notice.
It IS a latent manufacturing problem MB and VAG SOURCE FROM THE SAME MANUFACTURER. Due to the different laws I bet that the USA VAG group have had to cough up on these failures??
Good luck

Chris2000

Just had it confirmed that because mine is still under 4 years old, under 60k and Seat serviced all the way that they can put in for the good will gesture... will have to see what they actually come back with.

jasonbarry

Just had it confirmed that because mine is still under 4 years old, under 60k and Seat serviced all the way that they can put in for the good will gesture... will have to see what they actually come back with.

Doing the same and I'm in pretty much the same situation in age/mileage and service history. My local dealership have said it can take up to 2 weeks to get answer. Read a few posts on the VAG forums and it's been a huge problem on the Passat and also cases of an initial repair being done and then a few months later another injector fails.

It's leaning me towards getting rid of the Leon and px for something that doesn't have these issues unless SEAT come good. After 3 DPF re-gens done under warranty and now this, I am seriously doubting the reliability on the 170 PD TDIs

Chris2000

What ever happens, despite the attachement once I get mine back it will be going... either cause I am off to New Zealand or cause I wouldn't trust another injector no to go...

Will be seeing what I can get PX on something different. If Seat don't pay atleast half of this and it does cost over a grand it won't be a Seat I buy...