Leon FR ST towbar electrics

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
I've just had a towbar fitted, but not by a dealer as I preferred the Witter version. (No visible bumper cut).
All the electrics appear to work as intended, i.e. Reversing sensors disabled, rear fog disabled and even a trailer appears on park pilot display, but the reversing light on the car is not being disabled. The reversing light on the caravan works ok but I'm sure the one on the car should cut out otherwise there would be a huge amount of glare off the front of the 'van.
Can anybody confirm if it should cut out before I head off to the installers and ask them if they can sort this.
Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Conal

Sep 10, 2014
Sorry, can't help you at the moment but I'll be towing my caravan on Wednesday and if nobody has come up with an answer by then I'll come and report back.
After an awful lot of research I had the Witter bar fitted too as it was essential to me that the bumper cut was not visible. In fact there are photos of my bar on another thread. After a bit of trauma with my 13 pin electrics (long story on the other thread) I'm extremely pleased with the end result and also the way the car tows.
Will see if you get any more information.

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
I think it was your photos that steered me towards the Witter 'bar, so many thanks for that! It really is so much better than the Seat/Westafelia version.

Conal

Sep 10, 2014
Towed the caravan up to Whitley Bay today for a few days away. Whilst doing the usual pre journey light checks I put the car in reverse and asked my wife to have a look at what was going on. Much to my surprise we found that the reversing light on my car also stayed on as well as illuminating the reversing light on the van! Not sure why that should be as the sensors, rear fogs etc. are disabled when the van is hooked up.
Should add that although I went for the Witter bar all the wiring on my car is 'factory'. I had the car pre wired during its build and then bought the Seat connecting lead from the module to the 13 pin socket.
So, looks the same as yours and nothing to worry about really.

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
Thanks for the update Conal. Really appreciate it.
It's a daft idea, I have a narrow road to reverse up, I'll have to pull the bulb out when it's dark.
It must be another Seat quirk!

Conal

Sep 10, 2014
No problem. Piece of cardboard and blu-tack easier than pulling the bulb out!

Last edited:

worleyg

Nov 13, 2012
I'm sure the behaviour of the reversing light is configurable via VCDS

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Conal

Sep 10, 2014
Thanks. I don't ever tow at night so it's not an issue for me but may be helpful for someone else.

Damien84

Mar 6, 2015
I'm selling the dedicated electrics 13 pin for the Leon if anyone is interested, it's on EBay.

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
Damien, on your ebay add it says it was purchased in error. Was it the wrong kit for your version of the Leon or have you decided not to go ahead?

Damien84

Mar 6, 2015
Hi the dealer covered the cost for fitting and the kit due to there error on the order. I didn't think it was going to get resolved so I had already purchased the kit.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise