LEON FR tdi - Like a kid in a candy shop

MikeShaw100

Leon FR - White Lightning
Aug 7, 2007
Wakefield
Hello readers

I am new to the site and also to Seat. My SAAB 93 2.0t is going and I get my Leon FR in a couple of weeks. After driving the Leon I appear to have rediscovered my youth, also cant get the huge grin off my face. STONKING MOTOR.

Cant wait to see the looks on my director collegues faces when I land in my Yellow Peril. lol

cheers for now
mike (38)

the old man

Jun 20, 2007
You just wait till you get it....
I am of more mature years and I swapped from BMW 3 series. The grin is something that will last, you just cant drive it slowly, I find myself gauging my speed so I get stopped at red lights so I can Burn someone off. I have found myself doing ludicrous speeds (although legal of course).
I love the way some other drivers pick on the car thinking "its only a Seat" There is a Mercedes Benz E320 driver somewhere that I last saw in my rear view mirror sliding into the gravel.....
If you need to be mature do that at work.

S8N

I posed thred yarp?
Apr 8, 2007
Manchester
If you need to be mature do that at work.

That is the quote of the week! :lol:

Old Man is right. I swapped out a sensible Ford Focus for my FR. You cannot drive it slowly, it's just far too much fun. Seat have managed to engineer pure grin inducing in the FR :D

MikeShaw100

Aug 7, 2007
Wakefield
Glad to see that others have suffered from ‘FRAGS‘ FR-Aching Grin Syndrome. Will report back when my yellow rocket arrives, and would appreciate any advice as to safely removing leon/tdi badges.

Also, are any new fr/cupra owners going to the yorkshire free btcc track day event later this year?

Mik (Wakefield, Leeds)

MikeShaw100

Aug 7, 2007
Wakefield
Top choice
any options? Bluetooth is a must have, I have Xenons which I would not be without!

Dave

cheers stoke
Just BT, armrest, chrome trim and 18” wheels - I have three growing daughters that sap all my hard earned cash (after paying for the fr that is lol)

mike

seadragon

SEADRAGON
Apr 1, 2006
Benington, Herts.
Got my FR with 18's, coded mirrors, skirts, Ipod and remapped, couldnt be happier :funk:.

I have to really struggle not to have my foot planted all the time but occasionally I cant resist the urge to 'go for it', either to overtake some old 'coffin dodger' in a Micra or some boyracer/poser in a Moneo, Astra, BMW who is up my arse etc, so nice to have that feeling of being thrust into the seat once the torque kicks in and they are a fading image in my oversized rear-view mirror:blink:

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Noticed that a couple of you have swopped from SAABs or BMWs to the Leon.

How does it compare quality wise?, BMWs & SAABs are always though of as 'quality' cars, does it feel like a step down (if you know what I mean)?

Not driven a SAAB but have driven a few 3 series BMs and always though they were good but nothing magnificent.

MikeShaw100

Aug 7, 2007
Wakefield
Noticed that a couple of you have swopped from SAABs or BMWs to the Leon.

How does it compare quality wise?, BMWs & SAABs are always though of as 'quality' cars, does it feel like a step down (if you know what I mean)?

phil
the saab is a good car, but not driver oriented, boring boring. i need something to make jouneys entertaining and am sure the FR will do this.

note also that the saab 93 is only around 12” longer than the FR.

mik

MikeShaw100

Aug 7, 2007
Wakefield
ps - not a step down

indeed, having owned and driven both a 5 series bmw and saab 93, would say that the leon fr has impressed me most 'and' is more exciting (driver focused) in most departments ;-)

why pay 25k for nothing more than a status symbol/badge

mike

the old man

Jun 20, 2007
I changed from BMW 320d touring with sports suspension. The BMW is a good car but it is different, it is a good handling REAR wheel drive car. HOWEVER it is not good value for money.
If you want a similar comparison do what I did, Try a Leon FR TDI and then go and drive an Audi A3 sportback 2.0TDI 170 sport. They are similar spec and dont feel vastly different overall. BUT look at the price difference. you are looking at 5-6K. It doesnt justify the cost difference. The BMW is in a similar area to the Audi so you get the idea.
I have had a lot of people ask why I have "downgraded", it used to bother me but know I take one of two course of action.
1/ if I dont like them I suggest that they probably dont know a lot about cars and suggest they go and have a look at the dealers / web etc
2/ If I like them we go for a spin round the block. This usually convinces them.

one other bonus is I can now pull ot of side roads into traffic and someone will give way, in a BMW, no chance.