Leon FR TDI owners - what are you thoughts?

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
OK, so after searching it looks like there are not many knocking about in the used car world so it may have to be a new one if all goes well.

After loosing touch since swapping the LCR I am just asking you FR TDI owners your thoughts...

ride quality ? (on 18's hopefully)
build quality, is is quite noisy?
anything to watch out for?
what sort of mpg are you getting?
use oil?
parking sensors - are they ok just in the grey plastic section of the bumper?

Thanks in advance.

morleymackam

Jul 14, 2007
OK, so after searching it looks like there are not many knocking about in the used car world so it may have to be a new one if all goes well.

After loosing touch since swapping the LCR I am just asking you FR TDI owners your thoughts...

use oil?

Thanks in advance.

I've not picked mine up yet so can only speak about a test drive:

ride quality ? (on 18's hopefully) Very stiff on 17s. Can imagine 18s being worse. Personally I like it. Very little roll.
build quality, is is quite noisy?Build quality seemed good but not quite VW/Audi standards. Diesel 170 seemed noisy when first started but was a bit quieter once going. Noisy with your foot down though!
anything to watch out for? Yellow Snow
what sort of mpg are you getting? Dunno
use oil? Dunno
parking sensors - are they ok just in the grey plastic section of the bumper? Thought about that myself but surely you want the sensors on the corners? Sure the black doesn't expand that far.

toNes

Jun 26, 2007
London

use oil?

Thanks in advance.

My thoughts:

ride quality ? (on 18's hopefully) - I have 18s and the ride is pretty good, far better than the 17s I had on the Mk2 Sport..... but the gf hates the sports suspension as she doesn't like getting jolted around when I go over bumps and holes. But I don't care... it's my car and I love how it takes the corners!!
build quality, is is quite noisy? - It's a lot more refined than my old Mk2 Sport, that had so much rattling from the dash that it was driving me nuts, plus loads of road noise. With the FR it's a lot quieter on the road, though obviously you do hear the engine if you work it hard!
anything to watch out for? - The usual stuff, dents/scratches on delivery - also worth checking the interior as mine had a huge scuff on it when it got delivered. Mileage on delivery (Should be no more than 10miles or so if new - mine had 6). Tracking of the wheels when on the road..... I heard that some ppls car pulled to left or right due to mis-aligned wheels/tracking. TBH, you won't really find the main problems till you've driven it a bit (and the obvious ones crop up - DPF issues, sticky door mirrors, etc....)
what sort of mpg are you getting? - I've mainly driven around town in my FR, haven't had the opportunity to run it on the motorway because of where my clients have been located (London) since I got the car in April. Also wanted to run it in a bit before speeding up and down the motorway. 3000 miles on the clock and averaging about 42mpg - which is boarderline low IMO
use oil? - Que?!? If you mean engine oil, then I haven't had to top up since I got the car in April..... I'm guessing you'll burn more oil if you take it onto the motorway.
parking sensors - are they ok just in the grey plastic section of the bumper? - What grey plastic section?!? Do you mean the black section where the plates are? Dunno, don't have any fitted (though I am missing the ones on my old Mk2 sport!)..... from what I've heard and read from this forum, they are ok for judging distance at rear, but not for the rear-side distances (obviously)

Hope that helps you a bit..... :happy:

S8N

I posed thred yarp?
Apr 8, 2007
Manchester
ride quality ? (on 18's hopefully). It's pretty stiff. No worse than my mates old Civic Type-R. I am another who prefers the ride. Feels like it's on rails and the handling is immaculate.

build quality, is is quite noisy? Not particularly. Change the speakers to decent ones (a small £100 upgrade) and you will never hear a peep. It's on par with my old 06 plate Mk2 Focus.

anything to watch out for? Me in your rear view mirror?

what sort of mpg are you getting? 35mpg around town - 45mpg motorway

use oil? 6000k in and last check showed a small amount lost since I bought it. Not particularly bad.

They are ok but if you colour match, you should get the 4 which includes the corners.

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
Everything about the car is fantastic, the only bugbear is the dealers attitudes once youve parted with your hard earned cash.

Oh and if your lucky enough to pic one up that rattle free, but ive resolved alot of those issues now.

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
anything to watch out for? Me in your rear view mirror?

Funny :D

I asked about the oil as I know someone who has the 140TDI and his uses a bit, lots of motorway miles though. Its not an issue just trying to find out if this was similar which I expect it will be.

Glad you didnt get the Cupra?

toNes

Jun 26, 2007
London
Funny :D

I asked about the oil as I know someone who has the 140TDI and his uses a bit, lots of motorway miles though. Its not an issue just trying to find out if this was similar which I expect it will be.

Glad you didnt get the Cupra?

TBH, everyone would probably love to have a Cupra but then it all boils down to what you're using the car for and how much cash you have to splash.

I would love to drive the Cupra, but tbh it's not practical for work...... high road tax, insurance and it guzzles petrol....... main reasons why I bought a FR TDi and the Sport TDi....... (fastest Diesel engine in the model)

S8N

I posed thred yarp?
Apr 8, 2007
Manchester
Trust me. I love my FR TDI but if fuel, insurance and high tax were in my budget... I'd trade for a Cupra. Who wouldn't.. they are awesome!

As it is not an option for me, so back in the real world (well mine anyway).. The FR TDI is a bloody great example of a well thought out car:

1. Masquerades as a "practical 5 door hatchback" on paper but looks like a smart, beautifully styled 3 door coupe. Your company car policy doesnt know the difference. It is ever so pretty too ;)

2. Even when thrashed, diesel MPG will make an FR petrol owner weep :cry:

3. Low emissions, cheap tax and lower company car costs. Did you realise that some companys don't realise it is a sports class car because it's TDI and DPF emission controlled? [B)]

4. Many people assume the TDI means slow diesel. Nope. TDI stands for Truly Devestating In-gear. Ask any FR TDI driver who has left many other car drivers wondering where the hell you just went. It is bloody quick :funk:

5. Tons of free stuff other manufacturers charge a mint for: Climate Control, Full ESP, folding mirrors are such examples. ;)

I actually hope they don't sell too many. Nice to have one of motorings little "undiscovered secrets" (as whatcar called it in their review).

This is my case for the defense me lawd :whistle:

Last edited:

FReddytdi

Jun 6, 2007
I disagree, if I had the cash I wouldn't buy a Cupra, there is no real difference between the FR and Cupra on the outside. Sorry to say but I'd have a VXR or ST over a Cupra.

Anyway back to the FR, it's a great car, I've had a few rattle issues but not as bad as the MK1. I do about 350 miles a week, get on average 47 mpg. The speakers are poor but as mentioned by SN8 new ones are about £100.

Any FR owners considered getting the trim painted round the back, or would that make it look like a normal one?

k4ith

Goodson!
Sep 3, 2006
West Lothian
Trust me. I love my FR TDI but if fuel, insurance and high tax were in my budget... I'd trade for a Cupra. Who wouldn't.. they are awesome!

As it is not an option for me, so back in the real world (well mine anyway).. The FR TDI is a bloody great example of a well thought out car:

1. Masquerades as a "practical 5 door hatchback" on paper but looks like a smart, beautifully styled 3 door coupe. Your company car policy doesnt know the difference. It is ever so pretty too ;)

2. Even when thrashed, diesel MPG will make an FR petrol owner weep :cry:

3. Low emissions, cheap tax and lower company car costs. Did you realise that some companys don't realise it is a sports class car because it's TDI and DPF emission controlled? [B)]

4. Many people assume the TDI means slow diesel. Nope. TDI stands for Truly Devestating In-gear. Ask any FR TDI driver who has left many other car drivers wondering where the hell you just went. It is bloody quick :funk:

5. Tons of free stuff other manufacturers charge a mint for: Climate Control, Full ESP, folding mirrors are such examples. ;)

I actually hope they don't sell too many. Nice to have one of motorings little "undiscovered secrets" (as whatcar called it in their review).

all of the above, I was the only FR in the village, till some gits bought a black and a red one, my exclusitivity has gone, and one more thing more Power please

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
I agree on the Cupra, its not that I cant afford one just I dont need one as the 2nd car of the house. Well I say that I didnt need a 330 convertible ;o)

better MPG will be nice coming from a 330

Mar 26, 2007
Norn Iron
I disagree, if I had the cash I wouldn't buy a Cupra, there is no real difference between the FR and Cupra on the outside. Sorry to say but I'd have a VXR or ST over a Cupra.

Anyway back to the FR, it's a great car, I've had a few rattle issues but not as bad as the MK1. I do about 350 miles a week, get on average 47 mpg. The speakers are poor but as mentioned by SN8 new ones are about £100.

Any FR owners considered getting the trim painted round the back, or would that make it look like a normal one?

Many people have commented on how they would rather have the back painted same colour as the car. I think its nice though, makes the car sit out a bit more, even though mine is black, though it looks awesome on a red car where the contrast is good.

toNes

Jun 26, 2007
London
Road Tax - how much ?

I could afford the Cupra but it doesnt make sense as I have a GTI so one fuel guzzler is enough ;)

For the FR TDi you're looking at VED band D (161 CO2 g/km) - £140
For the FR TSi you're looking at VED band F (190 CO2 g/km) - £205
For the Cupra TSi you're looking at VED band F (199 CO2 g/km) - £205

So you can see that at £65 extra a year, higher insurance cost (probably £200-300+) and higher fuel cost (roughly 1/3 more than diesel), the Cupra doesn't quite add up financially..... :rolleyes:

S8N

I posed thred yarp?
Apr 8, 2007
Manchester
For the FR TDi you're looking at VED band D (161 CO2 g/km) - £140
For the FR TSi you're looking at VED band F (190 CO2 g/km) - £205
For the Cupra TSi you're looking at VED band F (199 CO2 g/km) - £205

So you can see that at £65 extra a year, higher insurance cost (probably £200-300+) and higher fuel cost (roughly 1/3 more than diesel), the Cupra doesn't quite add up financially..... :rolleyes:
True but.. the cupra goes bloody quick! :D

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004

I'd have to disagree... I currently drive a ST and I reckon if the Cupra was out when I bought it then I would have gone for that instead. There's nothing really wrong with the ST as such and it sounds fantastic, but the build quality in mine is worse than the Ibiza I had previously and it has a drink problem that would out an alcoholic to shame.

I did toy with replacing it with a Leon FR TDI as I'm doing more miles for work now, but the demonstrator that I took out had 18's on and I felt like I was being bounced all over the road. It crashing into every pot hole, etc probably didn't help either, so I left it there and kept the Focus.

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
Well after a test drive this morning the wife seems to like the FR TDI, drives well and looks ok - alright sits a little high and not so bit plastic'y but thats why its cheaper than a Golf.

Looks promising, not a bad car for a ecomical sporty hatch.

toNes

Jun 26, 2007
London
Well after a test drive this morning the wife seems to like the FR TDI, drives well and looks ok - alright sits a little high and not so bit plastic'y but thats why its cheaper than a Golf.

Looks promising, not a bad car for a ecomical sporty hatch.

Should also mention that it's not as common as the Golf......

Everyone drives a VW!!! :happy:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.