Leon FR TFSI- Using a LOT of oil.

9designs

Sep 21, 2002
Rugby
Visit site
Oil usage on mine is directly linked to the right foot and temperature.... IF, I push it before it's properly hot, that's not just water temp to normal, as oil won't be, it will use a little..... wait till hot, then I only top up 1/2 litre between service..... 07 plate, 40K miles and mapped all it's life !

My rule, light throttle, 3.5K rpm, temp to normal plus a few more miles before full beans.

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
I just checked my oil yesterday for my car which I bought...err..2 months ago? It's already at the "MIN" line!
Crikey...that is all.

leontdi130

Jan 20, 2008
Euxton (Chorley)
I checked my oil today after 2500 miles sice the last service and it needed 1L. I find this very poor! My old disco with 160k on the clock never needs oil. My old tdi leon mapped to the hilt never used a drop so does my newer standard car use so much oil! Maybe they are 2 stroke! At least the cylinders should never need a rebore! But the top end might have a short life from always being short of oil. I bet the oil use is the cause of the fuel pump cam follower wearing out so fast on these engines.

We should never have to service these engines, they are a constant loss lubrication system!

I did notice the oil seems to blacken very quickly for a petrol engine, suggesting carbon from the combustion chambers is entering the oil. There isn't a breather somewhere that is blocking up is there? I've come across that causing an engine to use oil before now. And i noticed mine is quite milky when you remove the filler cap and i have a 40 mile round trip to work and back so its not short running!
Seems like the ford cvh engine all over again. Think i'll have a good look over mine next weekend if the weather is fine.

M6TT F

Dec 27, 2009
07 DSG TFSi - mine also uses a fair bit of oil - whats more worrying is the oil light doesnt ping on until the oil is well below the min mark on the dipstick. check mine every month or so now, never had to do that on any car I've owned before

tonto

Apr 17, 2011
plymouth
i change my oil and filter every 3k but i do about 4.5k a year anyway so i dont do excessive mileage! but i do go through about a litre of oil every 1k
i check and top up if required every other sunday, i keep 5ltr in my boot lol.

sniperftw

Just filled it up today! Bought it from R33SY about 2-3 months ago now, just checked the oil, bone dry! literally, im suprised my engine hasn't seized up! SHIIIIIT!!!

Anywhooooo Castrol Edge 5W30 is what i put in it! :D

tonto

Apr 17, 2011
plymouth
i would like to try castrol as its OEM oil too. . . but i get Mobil 1 5/30esp for free. so id be silly not to.

leontdi130

Jan 20, 2008
Euxton (Chorley)
Don't think i'll be keeping my cupra. i'll run it till warrenty is up in october and get shut. Wish i'd seen this thread before i bought it a couple of months ago. I'm not into pouring oil into a car every couple of months. Very poor build to need to do that to a new engine. whats it going to be like with 100k or so on it?

sniperftw

Yeah i'll have to, really the only reason i didnt bother checking was cause my 1.4tsi used absolutely NO oil, and my FR DSG used none either! haha! :(

tonto

Apr 17, 2011
plymouth
i would say its down to driving style tbh.

i dont do many miles, but when i do i like to have fun, and im hard on the car...i can go from full to min marker in a tank of fuel but i have also done plymouth - london and back and it dropped about 1mm with casual motorway driving.
done it again, having more fun and took about 3/4 of it!

Mr Cellotape

AKA Mr Ribbed
May 9, 2006
Warwickshire once.
i would say its down to driving style tbh.

i dont do many miles, but when i do i like to have fun, and im hard on the car...i can go from full to min marker in a tank of fuel but i have also done plymouth - london and back and it dropped about 1mm with casual motorway driving.
done it again, having more fun and took about 3/4 of it!

You may be right, most of my 42K driving was done either on M-ways or commuting to work where all you can do is cruise at the same speed as the traffic. Therefore I was very often sat in 6th gear just moving with everyone else.

leontdi130

Jan 20, 2008
Euxton (Chorley)
I've just spent an hour fishing round the net for info on tfsi's burning oil and i didn't find out to much other than mobil 1 is the best bet. Halfords is castrol in a halfords can. Oil catch pots seem to catch a good bit of oil. But they just catch it and don't dump it back in the sump.

Is there anyone with a car thats done a good few miles. I just wondered if its something that gets better with use like a lot of the the older 1.9tdi's. Or do they continue to get worse!?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.