Leon Mk1 Standard Speakers

Nickscape

Hi Guys - Im looking to upgrade the head unit in my 130 tdi, The sound I get out of the current set up isnt that good and has the tendancy to drift between speakers and tweeters somtimes lack any detail at all. I think its an amp problem but doesn't seem to do it all the time which is the most annoying part!

Has anyone upgraded/changed their headunit and got a clearer sound out of the standard speakers, or do you reckon it would be best to upgrade them as well? Ive not had a detailed look at the speakers so not sure how good they are as standard, any ideas?

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I upgraded the head unit before upgrading my speakers and it did make a big difference.

Aftermarket Leon tweeters are particularly difficult to retro fit into the tweeter aperture as the OE ones clip into the tweeter aperture in the door. Finding a tweeter of a similar dimension is useful, but then you need to seal it in to keep it firmly planted there, and then obviously if you have crossovers to mount you need to think where they may live. Always be mindful of returning it to OE spec if you decide to so don't do anything that can't be reversed (unless you dont care!!!).

Try the head unit first, it may be enough for you.

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
I think the OEM ICE is very good, best I've ever had in a car. As Warren said I'd try a new head unit first, a decent ICE dealer will pull forward your headunit and connect a new one so you can here the sound.

Soundwave

Aug 18, 2007
Basildon, Essex
I went the whole hog & upgrade everything in mine (H/U, Front Comps, Amps & Sub) & the difference is immense but if your looking for quick fix then I'd recommend a H/U upgrade as well the Aura's are ok but not really that good in relation to an Alpine/Pioneer aftermarket unit.

Also the biggest gain you'll see from the current in car speakers is adding Sound Deadening around the speaker itself, this will help to stop the panels flexing & wasting sound.

Lastly as Cox says replacing the Standard components isnt easy without destroying them in the process.
They are riveted in place in plastic mounst in the door & we had to drill mine out to get them loose & make up MDF baffles to fit the new ones.
Also with regards to the Tweeters...retro fit is a no go, pretty much every aftermarket tweet is too big to fit.
I got round this by mounting mine into the sail panels.

Here are pics of my new comps being installed so you get an idea of what I mean...

Component fitted with MDF Baffles & Sound deading used to strengthen the door...

Phonestuff012.jpg

Phonestuff011.jpg

Door Sound deadened...

003-1.jpg

Tweeter in the Sail Panel...

DSCF0677.jpg

DSCF0679.jpg

HTH

Neil

kegger

Aug 4, 2008
Bedfordshire
As above... try just the head unit first, I did and it made a huge difference! I found it wasn't enough and changed the components as well. You wouldn't really benefit from changing the speakers and keeping the aura IMO:D.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.