Leon MK1 Standard Speakers

Hi guys,

did a search but couldn't find what I was after...

I know the standard Leon speakers are 16.5/17.0 cm, but what power rating are they?

40w??? 50w???

Anyone know?

Also, they don't have cross overs as standard do they?

Cheers,

Ben

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
I never bothered to find out Adam, i just ran new wire to the new speakers from the amps - didn't seem worth using the bellwire that was already there or worth the effort to find out what came from where in the jumble of wires.

Stock HU + old speakers = not bad for OEM turd
Stock HU + new speakers = better
New HU + stock speakers = just as good
New HU + new speakers = much better :)

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Amps can clip at 2 or 3 times their peak output so it's best to get speakers that can handle a good bit more power than the amp can deliver.

Some of the Alpine amps and the Genesis ones are often rated at 12v not 14.4 so their power figures are often conservative.

I'd rather have 50W rms of Genesis at 12v than 100W rms of JBL at 14.4v :)

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Its got all 3 preouts, you could run a nice little amp for the front and rear speakers and get some really nice sound IMO......or a 5 channel amp and have a sub.

Always look at power outputs in RMS and not peak......for example a £100 motorworld amp thats 2000w peak will usually run about 250w RMS and if it got anywhere near to 2000w it would end up as a pile of melted alloy on the floor.

If you had say a decent Genisis amp at 300w RMS it would run 300w all day long without even thinking about it.

Peak watt figures mean nothing its RMS = Real Mans Sound :D

M14KCY

New
Jan 26, 2009
Scotland
I am running all my standard speakers plus a set of 6x9s on my parcel shelf from alpine amp and a Vibe Black Air 2 amp/sub combo.

The aftermarket stuff gives really good base to the sound but the standard speakers are really good quality too IMO

EmDee

Omnishambolic
Are LCR speakers different to the other models? I am pretty impressed with mine and i've had a couple of upgraded systems before to compare.

Yes mate, LCR has a much better sound system. I used to have the standard tat in my old mk1 which was immediately replaced by an alpine HU with sony components and two 12" subs with a phoenix gold amp (yeah I was younger then). When I got my LCR I was going to put all of my stereo stuff (except the 12's) in, but I never felt the need. The standard stereo in the LCR is really good I reckon, perfect for peeps like me who like the OEM look.

JamJay

California Bound
Yes mate, LCR has a much better sound system. I used to have the standard tat in my old mk1 which was immediately replaced by an alpine HU with sony components and two 12" subs with a phoenix gold amp (yeah I was younger then). When I got my LCR I was going to put all of my stereo stuff (except the 12's) in, but I never felt the need. The standard stereo in the LCR is really good I reckon, perfect for peeps like me who like the OEM look.

...and a lighter car :). Who makes the OEM LCR speakers?

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
...and a lighter car :). Who makes the OEM LCR speakers?

I am fairly sure they're no different to the ones in the Cupra Tdi which are made by Philips - they're paper coned stuff and are fine for what they are but they're not 'great' and certainly not leagues ahead of the stuff in the base spec cars. The only thing that will be slightly better is the amplifier in the headunit.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.