Leon mk3 Cupra 280

Norsehawk

Aug 15, 2015
Hi there!

Thinking of buying this car since it got tremendous great reputation. Especially when it has same engine as Golf R. But then I saw that it has a chain instead of cam belt. Why I hesitate is because some engines from VAG, with chain, became damaged when the chain went off from its position. So far only those small engines have been affected but still. Also other carmakers, such as BMW, had also problems with their own engines who had chain instead of cam belt.

Do you know that this happens also to the 2.0-engines who have chain instead of the cam belt? I will buy it brand new and have it maintained it only at Seat, so I hope this wouldn't affect me. As I said, the car itself is amazing and everything else with it.

Cheers!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

BigARG

Mar 24, 2015
Essex
I would rather have a chain than belt. Coming from owning Type R's only remember hearing a few problems about chains getting stretched and that was because people would bounce off the rev limiter a lot. Used to hear a lot more about belts snapping and the cost of repair rather than problems with chains. But these day reliability has improved so much. Still rather have a chain driven engine. imo.

Norsehawk

Aug 15, 2015
Oh I see. Well thx for the answer! But I don't understand why VW went back to the belt with their new cars? Strange.. But I think I'll buy the Cupra anyway. Can't get such great car for that price/power anywhere else. And it looks really nice too!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

BigARG

Mar 24, 2015
Essex
Probably cost. Great car. Had mine 6 months love it. Didn't think I would after my last Type R , but it's a great car. You won't regret it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
biggest issue with chains was seemingly caused by leaving the car in gear on a slope, and it rolling backwards.
quite a few Golf Mk Vs have had it. Worth looking on a VW forum if you're interested.
Not seen a single complaint on here about this being an issue on Cupra though.
Do it - you'll love it

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
my last car was a pug 208 gti 2013 traded it in because of timming chain problems.

M latest car has a timming chain and twin turbos (not much hope for me then)

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.