Leon MKII Satnav multimedia interface 4 video problem

Icehquk

Jun 22, 2007
Staffs
I have brought a 'multimedia interface' to play video through my MFD2 satnav. I got the item from Ebay after seeing it working on a video on youtube as proof it could be done. . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGDQvP8lRaA
I installed the it last night and only get a black and white picture and the audio stays on the last source?! It came with no instructions but is simply a ground, 2 lives, and a plug that goes into the back of the satnav. I can get some photos if would help? I'm going to have another look tonight and see if I can get a better ground.
Has anybody fitted one of these? Or know what could be wrong?
I have found a few threads on other forums but nothing very helpful. The second live is an over ride so it will play in motion and I was led to believe I wouldn't need it when stationary but I did to get a picture. I'm at a bit of a loss with no instructions or place to go for help so any would be appreciated :D

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Is the 2nd live a pukka 'live' or is it just a grounding wire ? Most screens have to have a handbrake wire, so that the screen will only show a picture when parked up (with the handbrake applied) and these are usually just grounded through the handbrake switch.... or not ;)

B&W picture sounds dangerously like the ol' PAL vs. NTSC video - it's not from the 'states is it ?

Icehquk

Jun 22, 2007
Staffs
Is the 2nd live a pukka 'live' or is it just a grounding wire ? Most screens have to have a handbrake wire, so that the screen will only show a picture when parked up (with the handbrake applied) and these are usually just grounded through the handbrake switch.... or not ;)

B&W picture sounds dangerously like the ol' PAL vs. NTSC video - it's not from the 'states is it ?

The listing says pal/ntsc i'll copy it in. .

AV Multimedia Interface Adapter
for VW RNS2, MFD2
With this adapter you can connect your Playstation, DVD, rear camera or any other video source equipped in Cinch plug. The adapter enables you to gain from Audio/Video sources in either PAL/NTSC systems. Unlike other similar devices it swaps between PAL/NTSC fully automatically so you don't need to cut wires.
It provides the BEST POSSIBLE picture. Our opinion results from comparing with other branded instruments.
Adjustment of picture parameters such as brightness, color volume and contrast is possible.
With this adapter you can also watch TV and DVD on your way and the picture does not go off! Check out our unique product for yourself!
Plug & Play adapter is compatible with MFD2, RNS2 navi systems of the following car brands: VW, Touareg, Touran, Golf 5, T5, Caddy, Jetta or Seat, Skoda which have MFD2 navis.

There is one ground, one permanent live and one that is linked through a switch to over ride the screen and play even when in motion. I'm off to have another play with it in a bit :blink:

Mar 3, 2009
Hinckley
the 3rd "override" will be as said above,it should be connected the none earthed side of the handbrake officially but can be gotten around by earthing provided you dont use for road use

matt

Icehquk

Jun 22, 2007
Staffs
Well I think it may be the lead I got for my iPod to the interface. I wired it all in properly tonight, got the audio after coming across a menu on the satnav but the video is still black and white and scrolls. However I plugged in a camera and it showed the pictures fine and in full colour. So I'm logging onto the Apple store to buy the official converter from my iPod touch to the interface and will see how that works out.
Regards the extra live wire the system already detects when the vehicle starts moving and cuts the display. This extra live connected to a switch when activated over rides this and you get both video and audio. I know this is illegal or so I think and my purpose is only to watch when stationary.
I'll let you know how the Apple video lead goes cheers for the responses :)