Leon Phev disabling electric motor

Sep 26, 2021
Hi I have a 2021 Leon Phev
Just recently the electric motor becomes disabled whilst driving (line through the E on the dash). This also disables re-gen braking. This happens usually about 5mins after driving and lasts roughly 5mins. I don’t think it’s weather related as today it was 8 degrees C. The battery has plenty or charge and I have no reserv set. It’s a bit dangerous as not having re-gen breaking really changes how much pressure you apply to the pedal.
Anyone else experienced this?

Keith Roberts

Jul 29, 2019
Mine does this if I press the accelerator past a certain point and runs the engine up to temperature and then reverts back to electric motor eventhough the battery will be at 90% plus.

Swedemike

Apr 4, 2021
Yes if you push the pedal slightly to hard the ICE starts and will not stop until it is warm. Then you can activate electric drive again.

Torque69

Sep 18, 2021
South Birmingham
Is there not a point in the pedal travel where you feel resistance (like a kickdown point) where you can sense that beyond that you will make the ICE start, regardless of full battery etc?

That's how it is on the Outlander PHEV, but took a little while to get used to that 'point' which is quite a subtle level of resistance! In boots I can't feel it, in shoes I can!

tekfreak

Jan 19, 2022
Solihull, UK
Hi I have a 2021 Leon Phev
Just recently the electric motor becomes disabled whilst driving (line through the E on the dash). This also disables re-gen braking. This happens usually about 5mins after driving and lasts roughly 5mins. I don’t think it’s weather related as today it was 8 degrees C. The battery has plenty or charge and I have no reserv set. It’s a bit dangerous as not having re-gen breaking really changes how much pressure you apply to the pedal.
Anyone else experienced this?
@Edwards .. yes. It's amazingly infuriating. The worst way to invoke this is accidental engagement of "S" sport mode. It's really easy to do if you think you're in "P", then go to pull away and flick the gear selector into what you think is "D". Instead you engage "S". The engine will kick-in even without any throttle. Even if you flick back into "D" or "eco" the engine will stay on and EV is greyed out and only when the car decides, can you get it back. :mad:

The only way to force EV is stop. Key-off and back on again. You'll be straight into EV mode. :cry:

The kick-down will always engage "S" sport mode, but even a quick pull away WITHOUT hitting the kick-down switch will still engage hybrid, but not show "S" sport mode.There should be a "Lock in" of EV mode, especially when ECO is selected, so the car can't turn the engine on. The VW powertrain strategy is very bad and seems pointless having an ECO profile when the slightest throttle will trash any eco savings you were trying to maintain. :eek:

Reactions: C_ED_99

Swedemike

Apr 4, 2021
It is not bad I think it is good. I have had much worse hybrids in this aspect.
It is not especially easy to engage ICE and you have all the power if you need it in an emergancy situation.
If you choosr the rectangular drivers meny you have power meters that shows how much you can push the pedal before ICE kicks in.

Reactions: mty12345

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
@Edwards .. yes. It's amazingly infuriating. The worst way to invoke this is accidental engagement of "S" sport mode. It's really easy to do if you think you're in "P", then go to pull away and flick the gear selector into what you think is "D". Instead you engage "S".
Why would you ever be in Park in that situation? Park is for just that, parking, and no other time. For that there are handbrakes (or auto-hold) and if you really want, neutral.