Leon R32 AWD...

vee_dub_modder

Volkswagen racing tech-pt
Feb 19, 2008
Midlands
Hi all,

I'm currently running round in my 1.8 20vt Leon *AUQ* with all the usual mods and some...

I'm looking to do something a bit different now so i was wondering if anone got a guide on fitting an R32 lump into a Leon mk1 (or mk4 golf 1.8t) and have a list of the parts req'd for the transplant????

I really want to go AWD (something a bit different) and wondered if the rear floor pan was any different on the 2WD and the AWD mk4 Golf/Leon?? (mounting for the rear beam/AWD subframe etc?) also does anyone know if the tranny tunnels is the same or different?

I already have the rear running gear and weather permitting plan to pull the spare wheel well out this weekend to make way for the fuel tank and exhaust (provided the 2WD & AWD floor pans are the same)

i'm not sure if this has been done before (with the AWD conversion) but it should prove interesting ;)

Things i do know about this project
1: its not going to be an easy one...
2: not going to be cheap
3: and finally there will be quite a bit of trial and error but i hope i will end up unique Leon :whistle:

any help is much appreciated :happy:

cheers all

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
tunnels & rear floor pan are not the same.

Cut the bottom of your car off & replace with an R32 floor pan.

Job jobbed.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Storm Developments in Aldermaston spend their lives shoehorning supercharged VR's into anything that sits still long enough.

The haldex system is an altogether different ball game. Given all the work you have to reroute the exhaust system / tunnel, and work out a frig to get around the solid rear beam all I can do is wish you luck

vee_dub_modder

Feb 19, 2008
Midlands
hmmm... well i can get my 20v AUQ to 270-280BHP for £700... i'm still going to weight save and change the rear suspension (bin the beam) AWD might be out the question for the time being but i wont be defeated :D

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Where you going to get the whole rear suspension/diff assembly from to do this?

4c774fca9a1e44a9a2bd6c9b5ff72e9305.jpg

Also alot lot of fabricating to accomodate the running gear.

munkyboy

Jul 24, 2008
Cardiff
Its funny how when you think things it always pops up on this forum somwhere lol. For the past couple of weeks I have been thinking exactly the same thing. I havent seen a AWD Leon on here that isnt the V6 version.

After some digging though I really wouldnt want to spend all the money and cutting and everything else that comes with it to try and make it work. I would probably like said above just get an R32 if you were looking to chuck that lump in there and then turbocharge the 3.2 as you can get some really nice kits for that.

Although the SC sounds interesting might have a look into that and see what the pros and cons are of having a SC instead of TC

mjt

Jul 12, 2008
Its funny how when you think things it always pops up on this forum somwhere lol. For the past couple of weeks I have been thinking exactly the same thing. I havent seen a AWD Leon on here that isnt the V6 version.

i've got a 4wd diesel ;)

vee_dub_modder

Feb 19, 2008
Midlands
Paul Daniels? what you getting done to make that power?

lol... very funny :lol: High flow exhaust mani, ko4 hybrid (k03 fitment) lcr injectors, lcr maf goint to fab up a TIP and induction pipework. that should see me good for 270-280bhp wouldn't you all agree?? if not then i'd be suprised. already ordered up half of it today, turbo i'll sort Dec or early Jan [B)]

the rear independant suspension wont be too bad from the mk4 R32... I can chop and weld in the upper floor pan section (£119.00 Genuine part) and offer up the rear sub frame etc. simples. 1-2 days work max! tunnle i can sort out at a later date, apart from the fab work i cant see it being all that difficult... just time and money is all lol.

i think if i can go independant rear suspension and hybrid turbo by mid next year i'll be happy :) Ferrari buckets and LUKE harnesses first though :whistle:

Any question???

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members