Leon ST FR tow bar anyone?

LaChab

Jun 18, 2014
All worked straight way with no recoding.
I do though find it a bit frustrating that when a trailer's attached the stop-start is disconnected, especially as I usually only use a cycle carrier on it.

xperience

Feb 4, 2015
Hello,

NB: I can't post links yet. I'm not trusted enough. but search seat parts direct 3 live feed adaptor and it should give you the jist...

Thanks for the info. I've a lot of reading and these are my current thoughts in the tow bar / tow bar preinstallation:

- Tow bar preinstallation gets you wiring from the front of the car to the rear of the car where a control box is fitted and the necessary Software modifications re ESP / trailer stability programme
- The seat tow bar pack, as listed in the accessories brochure, contains a detachable tow bar, tow bar cover and an electrical lead that goes from the tow bar itself (the actual socket) to the control box that was preinstalled as part of the tow bar preinstallation / prep and also includes something that is described as a tow bar cover - from reading this cover is used when the bar is detached and covers the hole made in the bumper.
- The socket presented is a 13 pin type
- The tow bar cover may or not be available at the moment. At the end of 2014 there was a part number but no actual availability
- I can't confirm if the ESP / Trailer stability programme is actually on the Leon but the manuals (pages 194/195 and 265) talk about towing in more detail.
- Even though the socket is a 13 pin type on other VAG models sharing the same platform some forum members are complaining that not all pins are wired on the preinstallation, especially when it comes to something called split charging. I think this is most useful when towing caravans that have their battery that needs charging whilst driving and that also have a fridge built in that needs to run whilst you travel. Looking at motabars.co.uk/basic_tow_electrics.html seems to suggest that with 13 pin electrics you should get the split charge functionality. There is an adaptor (directseatparts.co.uk/product/13-Pin_To_2_x_7_Pin_Adaptor_000055300GA) to convert from 13 pin to 2 x 7 Pin but I have no idea if this gives both lighting connections and split charging.
- To achieve the split charging you might need another wiring kit - that runs from the front fuse box to the read, called a Seat 3 Live Adaptor which is £53.50 inc VAT BUT needs installing front of car to rear EVEN if you've already had the tow bar prep done at the factory. Labour on this would be intensive / expensive. I would have hoped that this was included in the tow bar preperation otherwise there is not much point to the kit if you have to remove all the trim to put this lead in... directseatparts.co.uk/product/3_Live_Feed_Adaptor_000055200G
- O and if you connect a tow bar based bike carrier the car probably thinks you are towing and adjusts the esp and software accordingly.

So basically I am none the wiser and have no idea.

From the accessories brochure:

DETACHABLE TOW BAR*

£645.50 5DR and SC except FR
Consists of:
Detachable tow bar 5F0803881A
Electric cable kit 5F0055204A
Tow bar cover 5F0803595

£686.00 5DR and SC FR
Consists of:
Detachable tow bar 5F0803881A
Electric cable kit 5F0055204A
Tow bar cover 5F0803595A

£701.50 ST
Consists of:
Detachable tow bar 5F9803881
Electric cable kit 5F0055204C
Tow bar cover 5F9803595

Removable tow bar with security system. A colour indicator system makes for easy placement of the hook.

Includes electrics and tow bar cover.

Please consult your SEAT dealer for further information about 13-pin adaptor, live feed adaptor and electrics options.

Part 5Q0907383 is an electrics box which needs to be pre-installed in a Leon for a tow bar to work.

For car with pre-installation, 13-pin electrics required will be different and cost will be less.

Last edited:

Conal

Sep 10, 2014
Thanks, that's very interesting. Disappointing that I would need another kit in order to charge the caravan battery, I wonder what the situation is with running the caravan fridge whilst towing?
It's all a bit of a minefield which takes a lot of unravelling but it's getting slightly clearer, though not necessarily better, with each piece of information!
The genuine bar is certainly a lot of money, I'm pretty sure I'll go for the Witter which is neater and a lot cheaper.
Conal

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
I just received some good news from the sales rep that sold me the car.
The covers are in their way! Was supposed to be sent week 4 but has been delayed.
So there is still hope!
I will post some pics of it once I received it

Skickat från min GT-I9506 via Tapatalk

Conal

Sep 10, 2014
Hi Snowman, did you get the cover for your tow bar yet? Any photos?
Conal

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
Hi Snowman, did you get the cover for your tow bar yet? Any photos?
Conal

I'm afraid not..
I tried to get a hold of my sales rep last week without luck..

I hope i can get a hold of him within some days and that he now has the cover laying there waiting for me, even though i seriously doubt it..

Conal

Sep 10, 2014
Been out this morning to have a look for the towbar wiring module which should be fitted to my car as part of the towbar pre wiring.
There is nothing visible as far as I can see so before I start removing lots of unnecessary trim could anyone please tell me exactly where it is and what needs to be removed in order to access it? Even better would be a photo of the unit so I will know what it looks like should I ever unearth it. I'm not really going to unearth it.....it would never work then!
Thanks in advance,
Conal

dids

Apr 5, 2015
Stockport
I was on the net the other day and came across a site saying that the Seat Leon fr 184 has won the caravan towing car of the year 2015.

LaChab

Jun 18, 2014
On an ST, the pre-fitted wiring box is fitted on the left hand side of the boot, towards the front and top.
You have to partially remove the trim to see it. (start at the back and stop by the rear seat)

Conal

Sep 10, 2014
Thanks for that I'll have another look. Didn't want to start taking trim off that wasn't necessary, I can never get it to go back exactly the same!
Photo anyone?
Conal,

Muddybum

Mar 10, 2015
I've decided to get things moving on getting a towbar on my ST FR...

First quote was £622 from a local fitting place that was recommended by my local SEAT main dealer..seems quite a lot but that does include the vehicle specific wiring at £198..

I decided at this point to have a look on my car and see if the module was fitted, it sounded like an easy job to get to. Spent 20 minutes trying to get the left hand trim off to have a look and no joy.
:( :confused:
I will revisit with more determination later or tomorrow!

In the meantime, any advice on getting the trim off would be appreciated. :help:

Cheers
Simon

Conal

Sep 10, 2014
I was the same as you Muddy, I had a quick go at the trim but decided that there was a lot more dismantling than I had time for, so I left it!
I called at a tow bar fitters at the end of last week and the boss man came out and measured up the underside of my bumper as my biggest concern was whether the bumper cut would show. Having been assured that the cut would only be on the underside of the bumper so would be invisible unless you lay down I have made a booking this morning to have a Witter detachable bar fitted in 2 weeks time.
I am going to provide the £75 lead which goes from the 13 pin socket to the module in the boot though they are going to provide the extra wiring etc to enable my caravan fridge to work and also for the caravan battery to be charged whilst towing, something which is not always included so worth checking on.
Total cost to the fitters will be £400 plus the £75 for the lead that I have ordered. A lot of money but if the bar is invisible once removed then I shall be happy.
Conal

Muddybum

Mar 10, 2015
Best of luck with that Conal, I might just have another crack at mine when I have more time just so I know if there is any factory fitted wiring present.

I'd love to see some photos of members fitted towbars, especially on an ST FR, so we can all see the finished product. :)

Thanks for the reply though :)

Cheers
Simon

dids

Apr 5, 2015
Stockport
I've been looking for a towbar myself, it has no part wiring done from the factory that I know of .I took it to a local fitter today and was told it would be £ 430 with seat wiring kit and swan neck bar fitted .Looking at some of the prices that are being knocked about it sounds not bad.I rang P F Jones of Manchester they said £465.00 for a Westfalia with Seat wiring fitted in the workshop.

Conal

Sep 10, 2014
Fixed bar or detachable, full or part wiring? Not all tow bars and wiring are alike, not all people have the same requirements. If it does what you need then that sounds a decent price.
Conal

dids

Apr 5, 2015
Stockport
I'm going for fixes bar swan neck,both are say the wiring is seat dedicated wiring will be coded.One is Westfalia and the other is Bosal.I'm going for 13 pin wiring,I don't have a caravan yet only a trailer but I'm will be getting a caravan.

Conal

Sep 10, 2014
If you are going to get a caravan at some point it is worth checking if the wiring they have quoted you for will run your caravan fridge and charge your caravan battery whilst you are towing. If that is something that you will need then it will be better/cheaper to have it done now rather than add it on at a later date.
Hope all goes well.
Conal

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.