Leon ST FR tow bar anyone?

Muddybum

Mar 10, 2015
I have had a look on the Wesfalia website that LACHAB mentions, that looks like a real nice piece of kit and very well engineered, I think that is what I am going to fit. I wonder if LACHAB will post some pictures up of his fitted bar with and without the ball?

It would be great to see the end result before I tear mine to pieces. It would also be good to pick his brain on removal of the bumper :)

If I do decide to fit myself, I will post up a step by step photo guide of what it takes to do it.

Cheers
Simon

dids

Apr 5, 2015
Stockport
Thanks Conal,I will bring it up but if that means running a wire from frount to back under the car I think I will just plug the fridge in when I get there,useless their's another way

Muddybum

Mar 10, 2015
Well I've stripped out the back of my ST on both sides and no module could be found, guess I'll have to buy one if I decide that I want the proper integrated installation.. :(

I'm tempted to just go standard 7 pin and screw all the hi tech stuff, I guss there are a few down sides though like the parking sensors etc that might be a nuisance..

On the up side though, the stop start will still work! :)

More to follow.......

Cheers
Simon

Muddybum

Mar 10, 2015
Also, just thinking, mine has LED lights and I'm not sure what amperage the wiring is rated/fused for and even if the standard feeds still exist for indicators, brakes, fog and reverse?

I would hope they do but it by no means a given.

:confused:

Muddybum

Mar 10, 2015
Popped into my local dealer today whilst my wife picked up her Ibiza and I wandered into the parts to proce up the wiring.

Retail price for the correct kit is £130, I'm presuming a further £75 kit will be needed with the 13 pin presentation wiring.

I've been looking at the Westfalia removable bar and PF Jones offer that for £175 with an additional £10 shipping.

On the PF Jones site there is both a video of the Westfalia locking system and also pretty comprehensive fitting instructions.

pfjones.co.uk/seat-leon-st-2014-on-westfalia-detachable-tow-bar

I am definitely curious about this split charging NOT being included in the dedicated wiring. All that wiring and expense seems pointless if it doesn't include the charging element, I'm dubious. If and when I install I will be sure to check and post up information, pictures etc.

Cheers
Simon

dids

Apr 5, 2015
Stockport
Hello Simon,iv been told that the wiring has to be coded how are you going to get that done ?If you fit the detachable bar you will need to cut the bumper and fit the cover from Seat if they are selling them yet. Where are you because Jones give me a price of £565 for the bar you want with the 13 pin plug fitted in Manchester 12 mouths guarantee. I think I'm going to get the Westfalia swan neck fitted at North west Towbar in Stockport for £428,

Muddybum

Mar 10, 2015
I'm in the North East.

Getting it coded shouldn't be an issue, I know a couple of folk in the trade and have a pretty good relationship with my local SEAT dealer after just buying another car form them. :)

Muddybum

Mar 10, 2015
Well I've ordered the towbar and electrics and also purchased the cover......

I'm going to start a new thread and document the fitting start to finish, hopefully I will figure out putting up photos by that point.

P.S Spoke to the dealer mechanic and he was unsure about the correct codes for the towing electrics, he said the sub-contract out all their towbar fits, wring and all.

Hopefully he will give it a shot though.

Cheers
Simon

Dec 29, 2014
west yorkshire
Thanks LaChab that's very helpful information.
My car is an FR and I'm determined to have a bar which has an invisible bumper cut and a fold away 13 pin socket. I have a Witter detachable on my current Saab Sportwagon and the bumper cut is completely underneath the bumper so once the ball is removed there is nothing to show at all, not even a cover. Looking at the Witter website it appears that the Leon ST FR bar fits in the same way so that is a possibility. What I would really like to see is how the genuine Seat bar fits and what can be seen when it is removed. My dealer has tried hard but Seat UK have been useless at finding any information for me!
Interestingly I have an email from the dealer giving me a price of £242 for the bar fitted and £75 to do the wiring. Both of these prices include VAT. They have even said that if I don't like their bar then I could have a different bar fitted elsewhere and that they will wire it up for me for the £75, which at the moment seems the most likely option. From the cost of your wiring adaptor it sounds as if I may be getting it fitted for free.....must make sure I don't delete the email!
Thanks again for taking the time and trouble to reply, will be interesting to hear how you get on with the wiring up...good luck with it.
Anybody had the genuine article fitted?
Conal
Morning Conal, Thanks again for the links. Just reading them for again, Your dealer quote is interesting. Might be worth a chat with them. Would you mind telling me who and where they are? What make did you finally choose and who fitted it?
Have a great caravaning season, I used to in Germany many years ago and it was very good.

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
My car is finally getting the cover fitted! I will get it back tomorrow afternoon and I will post some pictures once I have picked it up

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
So, did you get the cover? How does it fit?
Sorry had forgotten about this since there didn't seem to be any interest.
I will get some photos of the cover installed and removed later this week

Skickat från min GT-I9506 via Tapatalk

Conal

Sep 10, 2014
Morning Conal, Thanks again for the links. Just reading them for again, Your dealer quote is interesting. Might be worth a chat with them. Would you mind telling me who and where they are? What make did you finally choose and who fitted it?
Have a great caravaning season, I used to in Germany many years ago and it was very good.

Hi Eric, Sorry for the late reply, I've only just seen this.
I eventually settled on a Witter detachable bar which was fitted by Hedleys in Durham. They did an excellent job and I was really pleased with the bar and also with the bumper cut. The cut is completely underneath so is not visible unless you lie down! :rofl: No cover is required.
I did have a problem with the wiring as the lead the dealer ordered for me was not compatible with the module which was fitted as part of the factory pre wiring. It took a while to find the right one but I have it now and it is being fitted next week.
I can't put photos on here but would happily send some if anyone wants them. Just send your email address by PM and I'll reply.
Conal

Harakiri

Jun 7, 2015
Sorry had forgotten about this since there didn't seem to be any interest.
I will get some photos of the cover installed and removed later this week

Thanks, please do. I bought a new ST FR (build week actually this week, wohoo) and I was surpised to read how difficult getting a tow bar actually can be. Or getting it is not a problem but cutting big hole to bumper is.. I started to read about this topic first in some Finnish forum and saw how ugly holes some now have in their bumper. I want to avoid that..

I recall that yours is Seat genuine tow bar so does anyone have any idea if the hole&cover for it is suitable for other brands as well? Does anyone have an idea which company does those tow bars for Seat (so can I buy same tow bar with some other brand?)

Lähetetty minun SM-G900F laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Harakiri

Jun 7, 2015
I can't put photos on here but would happily send some if anyone wants them. Just send your email address by PM and I'll reply.
Conal

I can't send PM for you (I'm too new on the forum maybe) Could you send some pics to my email xyz.

Interested to see how Witter looks

Thanks!

Last edited:

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
Here are some photos of Conal's Witter detachable towbar:

untitled_zpshm3bcwxd.png

untitled2_zpszyfx7coc.png

image1_zps3nvcqtri.jpg

image2_zpsovyyugnn.jpg

image3_zpsebidvevw.jpg

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
Lol and I who thought someone was interested in my post.

Conal your installation looks better than the Seat one..