Leon ST FR with Bridgestone s0001 noise

alteadsg

Jul 9, 2008
Afternoon... Looking for some advice please.
After selling my mk1 130 for a vw a couple of years ago I have now gone back to aa leon mk3 ST FR 184.

After picking it up on Saturday I am ready to ditch it tomorrow. I know that having 18 inch wheels would be slight more noisy than the 16 inch I had before but it is reduculous... Can't even hear the radio over 30mph.

The car is an ex seat with 3000 miles fitted with Bridgestone s0001.... Is this a common complaint or is it going to be the same what ever tyres are fitted. I generally like the car but this is beyond a joke and with the mpg it's returning think I have made a big mistake.

Can anyone give me some guidance on these 2 problems especially the tyre noise?

Thanks

alteadsg

Jul 9, 2008
No they are OK. Had the 50p problem on 2 altea's. Think it's just the shear volume of noise that intrudes into the cabin. :cry:

alteadsg

Jul 9, 2008
Not sure soundproofing will be enough. Ear plugs maybe

Mpg... I drove up the a1 for about 60 miles and left it in eco mode at 70mph to get used to the car and left it on cruise. Only got 45 which, after looking at the official consumption figures comparing it with a 140 tdi (previous vw) which is about the same consumption figures, is abysmal. Would have expected at least 55+

Slipps

Northern Sassenach
Jan 17, 2015
Durham
My old 184 on 18s produced more road noise than my Cupra on 19s both Bridgestones but TBH old worn motorway surfaces were the worst ... I changed the car before the tyres but I guess the tyres are a major culprit.

Mpg wise it was mid to high 40's messing around high 50's on a long run but it did take a while for the engine to bed in :)

cjp2k

Nov 14, 2006
Durham/Teesside
I have the Bridgestones on the 18s on my 1.4tsi and find them noisy and poor in the wet, currently got 7k miles and doing my best to wear them out as quickly as possible!! :drive2:

alteadsg

Jul 9, 2008
Been doing a bit of looking around and seems there are other forums with adverse comments on bridgestone,but they are known to last for a lot of miles.

Can live with the bedding in of the engine if that what it takes but not the tyre noise. Spoils what is a good car.

james berkeley

Aug 8, 2014
I'm not sure it's specific to Bridgestones. My 280 Sub8 with 19in and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s is also very noisy. On concrete motorways it is almost unbearable. Unfortunately I believe this is the downside of large wheels and (very) low profile tyres.

pvm1234567890

Mar 10, 2015
Meath, Ireland
I have a 184 ST FR - after 12000km or so, I started showing 55+ mpg regularly, no matter how I drive, but the tyre noise on the Bridgestones is a little loud. They are wearing very well, unfortunately, so I won't be changing until I really have to. Good grip and good longevity over rules the noise.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.