life of springs and shocks!

cupraRgstar

May 15, 2007
Edinburgh
just a quick question about suspension.... i run a completley standard ovni cupra R and recently had alot of ride problems, so thinking towards springs and shocks, how long roughly is the life of both?

dizzydiesel

I was wondering the same question? My Toledo (168k miels) has never had shocks replaced, however the ride is still reasonable and smooth.
I'm thinking of replacing them now, I thought a busted shock would be very obvious.

May 16, 2008
southampton
I was wondering the same question? My Toledo (168k miels) has never had shocks replaced, however the ride is still reasonable and smooth.
I'm thinking of replacing them now, I thought a busted shock would be very obvious.

if a shock has gone you should hear a loud nocking noise every so offten on bumps ect.. but life of the shock could be different between a good shock and a cheap one ..

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
My wifes ibiza 1.4S was riding fine but side winds were affecting it abit, bounce tested the shocks and looked for leaks all fine, So I brought front and rear bilstein B4's plus top mounts, when I took the front shocks off they had no rebound at all even after 2 hours the pistons refused to rise shows just how worn they were! This was at 87k miles. Shocks lose about 1% of there effectiveness per 1k according to most mechanics scary stuff!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
just a quick question about suspension.... i run a completley standard ovni cupra R and recently had alot of ride problems, so thinking towards springs and shocks, how long roughly is the life of both?

pretty much as it rolled out of the factory, almost certainly by the time the first owner got the car home.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.