Light steering after upgrading alloys.

Tigerobe

Feb 20, 2017
Hi guys
Just upgraded to some cupra 19” alloys, the steering feels a lot lighter than with my 18s.
Could it be down to tyre pressure? The tyre shop set all the tyres at 37 psi.
What should be the tyre pressure and has anyone else experienced this?
The alloys came with nexen su1 all round pretty much brand new.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
Those pressures are in the ball park. This thread shows a couple of Cupra Tyre pressure stickers to give you an idea. The thread says 18" but the stickers show 19s too.

Might the settings within the Driving Mode been changed? Makes quite a difference and perhaps they had a fiddle when resetting the TPWS?

Reactions: jcbmally

Tigerobe

Feb 20, 2017
Those pressures are in the ball park. This thread shows a couple of Cupra Tyre pressure stickers to give you an idea. The thread says 18" but the stickers show 19s too.

Might the settings within the Driving Mode been changed? Makes quite a difference and perhaps they had a fiddle when resetting the TPWS?

The driving mode has remained the same, I will drop a couple of psi and see if that helps.
What other reasons could cause the light steering? Could it be the new tyres? I remember my old tyres on my 18s felt like this when new.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@Tigerobe; If your new wheels weigh noticeably less than your previous set, they could make the steering feel lighter.

What tyres did you have on your previous wheels? If they weren’t Nexen‘s then there’ll almost certainly be tyre performance differences compared to your previous tyres in key areas such as wet/dry grip, braking, handling, feedback etc., and you’re likely to notice these differences through the steering.

Bear in mind that new tyres take a few miles to scrub in, so if the tyres on your new alloys are literally brand new, then once they’re scrubbed in, some of the steering lightness might disappear.

Tigerobe

Feb 20, 2017
@Tigerobe; If your new wheels weigh noticeably less than your previous set, they could make the steering feel lighter.

What tyres did you have on your previous wheels? If they weren’t Nexen‘s then there’ll almost certainly be tyre performance differences compared to your previous tyres in key areas such as wet/dry grip, braking, handling, feedback etc., and you’re likely to notice these differences through the steering.

I had falken all round on my last set of alloys, thinking back when they were new the steering felt very similar, maybe I need to give them a bit of time to scrub in properly

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Could be a number of things...

New tyres, so these may not have the same contact patch as not worn yet.
To much pressure.
Wheel alignment - If you had one of these at the same time.