Lights on the gear indicator - 1.4 Auto Arosa

StuM

Nov 1, 2007
Hi All,

Yesterday my wife and I picked up our Seat Arosa 1.4 Auto - a 1998 car. My wife wanted something easy to drive and small - and having lost the will to live looking around at Micras, we stumbled across the Arosa. So far I am delighted with the car, but have one question that I hope you can help with...

The gear selector gaitor has the usual numbers/letters down the side.. but when it got dark and I put the lights on, I was surprised to see that these numbers/letters didn't light up. Should they? If so, do you think it's likely a blown bulb?

Edit to add: Sorry, I forgot... the exhaust is also quite loud at mid-rev-range.. the seller reckoned that "they all sound like that" but I reckon "blowing back box"! What do you all think?

Thanks in advance,
Stu

Last edited:

pudgster

Hi I have an Auto 1.4 and would say it is one of the quiet engines I have driven. At Idle it is almost inaudible and it does make a noise with throttle, but nothing loud.

It is quieter than a Nisan Micra as I have one of those as well.

With regards to the lights for the gear stick it is most probably a bulb.

My only gripe with the auto selecter is that your foot needs to be on the brake to switch between Neutral and Drive. Also 1st to 2nd gear change can be a little too slow.

StuM

Nov 1, 2007
.......it is one of the quiet engines I have driven. At Idle it is almost inaudible......

With regards to the lights for the gear stick it is most probably a bulb.

Hi.

Thanks for the reply - totally agree, on tickover it is very quiet.. will have a look underneath and see what the backbox looks like.

Glad to hear that there should be lights on the gear indicator - I'll have a dig around tomorrow and see what's what.

Cheers,
Stu

StuM

Nov 1, 2007
Many thanks for that. I'll have a dig tomorrow.

Cheers,
Stu

StuM

Nov 1, 2007
Hey All,

Managed to poke about on Saturday and found the offending bulb. Only thing is it seems to be soldered in place...??? This can't be right surely? I wonder whether someone's already been fiddling with it.. What do you reckon? Anyone have a service manual that might point me to the right bulb? I'll have a better look (and put some pics up) when I get back home. Working overseas at the moment.
Stu
Cheers,

StuM

Nov 1, 2007
Hi All,

Just in case anyone else comes across this, I thought I'd post how it has been resolved...

If you remove the gear stick knob (by undoing the allen bolt on the driver's side) and then the plastic trim panel surrounding the gear lever (it just unclips), you can see the 'carrier' upon which the bulb sits. It is a small pea bulb. I suspect the bulb is supposed to have a cover over it, but at some point someone has broken this on ours. The carrier unclips and the wires can be 'unplugged'. I rang Seat for the replacement part, but they were unable to identify it on their system. As an alternative, I went to Maplin and bought a wired 12V pea bulb, which we then soldered onto the original pins. Simply reassemble and we now have a light again.

I've now noticed that the centre consol (around the heating controls) is very dull - so will go investigating the bulbs behind there now!

Cheers,
Stu

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
Simple question but - have you adjusted the dashboard light dim control? I *think * it controls the heater lights too?

StuM

Nov 1, 2007
Simple question but - have you adjusted the dashboard light dim control? I *think * it controls the heater lights too?

Hi - thanks for the tip.

I have to say, I haven't. I will do so tonight and if that is the problem, someone better show me how to adjust my 'dim control'! :whistle:

Cheers,
Stu

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
Its a little dial to the right of the steering wheel, underneath the light switch. One does dashboard brightness, the other adjusts your headlight height :)

StuM

Nov 1, 2007
Alas, the dimmer was turned up to full.. so that wasn't the problem. I'll have to dig around and find the bulb to replace.

Cheers,
Stu

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise