lights when turning ignition

tmonty2009

Hi there i have a leon 06 1.9. How many lights should light up when u turn ignition. They all go out when engine starts which is fine, one that doesnt light up when u turn ignition is airbag. Just paranoid as i found out some panels of car had been resprayed so it was obviously in some accident before i bought and just wondering if airbags are all in tact. Also one side airbag looks to have been tampered with as there is a nick in the side of it compared to all others.

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Airbag light should come on when the ignition is on. Should then go away after about 2secs.

If it doesnt light atall, then take it to somewhere to have it looked at properly.

Im not sure about this, but if for instance the previous owner had "unplugged" the Airbag light as to hide errors, you may have some sort of legal claim.

Im not sure on this though!

Chuy

yep, The airbag ECU does store historical and active faults, so it is possible to download and analyze the content from the ECUs memory.

burnsy_b

FR 170 AKA THE CLANKS
Apr 25, 2009
LEEDS W YORKS
Yeah, they could have but I reckon removing the instrument cluster to do that would be just as time consuming as repairing an air bag fault. :shrug:
in my experience of repairing cars ive come accross cars that have had previous crashes and airbag lights removed an then found there to be no airbag even fitted, that been the reason for no air bag light. lets face it air bags can be very expensive to buy, so ppl find ways round em. and unfortunately this happens allot.

burnsy_b

FR 170 AKA THE CLANKS
Apr 25, 2009
LEEDS W YORKS
Hi there i have a leon 06 1.9. How many lights should light up when u turn ignition. They all go out when engine starts which is fine, one that doesnt light up when u turn ignition is airbag. Just paranoid as i found out some panels of car had been resprayed so it was obviously in some accident before i bought and just wondering if airbags are all in tact. Also one side airbag looks to have been tampered with as there is a nick in the side of it compared to all others.

chances are it could ov been removed but you cant say. wot id do is find sum1 who has a diagnostic machine and hook it up to your car an if you get air bag faults then you know for defo its been purposely removed.

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Yeah, they could have but I reckon removing the instrument cluster to do that would be just as time consuming as repairing an air bag fault. :shrug:

Yeah, might be more time consuming, but its a hell of a lot less cost which tbh, is the deciding factor.

I had my airbag light on for the past few months. I think i knocked a wire while hoovering, and turns out i probably did.

Took it to SEAT when my car was getting a service, and they stuck it on diagostics. £45.
Fault was indeed the wireing under the driver seat, costs £70 odd to repair (they do both seats at once).
So for fixing the two connections they took £120 in total.

Now thats a very minor error, and i know i could have got it cheaper elsewhere, but it was bugging me, so i just got them to do it.

If a car has been in an accident, then the cost of airbags included would be £1000's.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.