limp mode

sammyd240584

Mar 22, 2009
Belfast
Recently purchased an 02 pd130,decided to do a bit of housekeeping and clean the egr valve,while taking it off i heard a hiss sound come from the vacuum solenoid,1 of the clips was loose,put it back on,cleaned the egr and put it all back in,now the car feels dead & seems to be going into limp mode wen i hit 60,could this be to do with the vacuum,there are no lights on the dash

Adjay

Sep 5, 2011
Donegal,ireland
Yes I'd say it's a vacuum leak. Not always will a cel light come on with a vacuum leak. But a fault code may still be present, so it may go in to restricted mode.

sammyd240584

Mar 22, 2009
Belfast
How would i go about sorting that,would the leak be the diaphragm in the egr giving up,there was a bit of oil round the egr before i took it out

abbotsmike

Dec 17, 2011
Uxbridge
Try and diagnose the actual fault before blindly removing/deleting parts. Pop the vac hose off to the EGR and block up the end, is the problem still there? Check the cover going to the box where all the vac lines run to is on properly. If it happened after you've removed a part the chances are you've just dislodged a clip or something somewhere.

sammyd240584

Mar 22, 2009
Belfast
If the car runs fine with the pipe blocked does that mean the egr valves had it & needs replaced,thanks for the replies btw,

JackoFR

Jan 14, 2015
Manchester
I haven't really got any advice or info regarding your problem but if it's okay i'd like to ask how the hell did you get the EGR off!?! i tried on Saturday and i cannot for the life of me get to the 2 bolts on the underside!

Spent maybe 30 mins swearing and scratching my head until i admitted defeat.

sammyd240584

Mar 22, 2009
Belfast
I took the 2 easy to get at bolts off at the top then with a wee 6mm allen key took the 2 bolts outta the pipe below,this then gives access to the last bolt holding the egr in place,was awkward enough,hands cut to the bone,be careful not 2 drop any bolts,be a nightmare to find them

JackoFR

Jan 14, 2015
Manchester
Cheers mate, got a few things to do in the next few weeks like cambelt/water pump and so on so might be an idea to get that done when i take it in, one thing i didn't mention is on the outside of the 'spaceship' as i call it, it was covered in black sludge, is this a sign of it being clogged up to death? And am i best getting this sorted sooner rather than later? :think:

sammyd240584

Mar 22, 2009
Belfast
So was mine,i only got the car last week,1st time with a diesel so some of this stuff is new to me,ive read on some posts on here its normal as theres a weep hole in the valve but im prob not the best to be giving out advice,looks like were in the same position,ive to get the cam belt done as well,lol

JackoFR

Jan 14, 2015
Manchester
Ha definitely in the same boat! I can wield a spanner but only if i know what i'm doing, i'm no mechanic. Had mine 3 weeks now. How you finding it? You getting any pics up?

sammyd240584

Mar 22, 2009
Belfast
Keep finding wee silly issues,all down to previous owner,car just needs a bit of love,shes got 112000 miles and id say she hasnt been looked after the last while but il get it sorted,im the same,can do bits & pieces on a car but im no expert mechanic,the cars a lot of fun,enjoyed it so far,il get pics up at some point

sammyd240584

Mar 22, 2009
Belfast
Mines a sport,your car looks really well,i was told £200ish but a friend of mines a mechanic & he said if i get the kit and help him fit it it will cost bout a hundred,the kits £70 so hes only charging me £30 labour lucky enough

JackoFR

Jan 14, 2015
Manchester
Always helps to know somebody in the biz! Definitely a good price to pay compared to having the main dealer do it! Have you got any other plans aside from getting it up to standard?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members