List of things to fix!

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
Typically as i plan to sell my car i have a list as long as my arm of things i need to fix/get done. All of which will dent my savings! Grrr!

1. New catalyic converter. The porcelin ‘core’ is loose and rattling about, they say I need a whole new system though! Which is expensive!

2. Door handle doesn’t sit flush.
When we had the snow, the door froze shut, I was running late, so I tried to force it open and now the handle sits slightly out of place.

3. New aerial gasket seal.
My old one has had it, its totally perished.

4. New tyres, the tread is going.

A service is due aswell. :blink:

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Don't you just love cars eh! :)

I know a lot of people don't get these things done when selling but good on you. You're other option is to inform the buyer and knock a bit off - might cost you less that way?

In my case I'm trying to keep the car mint so I can get the highest price when I do sell...

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
Personally i want to get it done because its sitting at the back of my mind and gives me the occasional prod everynow and then. Also i like to try and keep my car in as good nick as i can, personal pride i think.

It's definately all about it being necessary though and worthwhile. I have to think about this with a sensible head on.
It would put me off as a private buyer, but would a garage really be that bothered about it?
In any case they'll say they are, so it's probably is worth me doing it so i can tell them what good condition its in! :D (touchwood)

Oh yeah, i need some replacement wiper blades aswell :headhurt:

Feb 8, 2008
Essex
As i've said before, personally i'd leave the probs if your trading the car in. The last time i traded my car in to buy my LCR the garage didn't even start the car let alone take it for a test drive, just had a general look around the exterior any interior, that was it. (not that there were any major probs or anything).
I'd defo fix them if you are selling it private though.
I know what you mean about personal pride though, but still worth a thought, could save you some money in the long run.

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
Yeah its definately worth a thought, of course for money reasons i'd rather leave it.

The thing is though its probably better to list the car for sale privately, but also take it along when i go to view some LCR's as a potential trade in.
I think i'll get more if i sold it privately, but surely there's more case for haggling on my behalf if i were to trade mine in?

Feb 8, 2008
Essex
You might be pleasantly surprised with how much you can haggle over a trade in for a LCR, dealers seem to be lowering the price of performance hatches all the time to try and shift them.
Price up the repairs before doing them and go and see what the dealer will offer you part echange, work out the difference in cost and go with whatever is cheapest.

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
I am confident about doing a p/x i must admit. :D

The gasket seal was nothing, i've got one here right infront of me, its just a NIGHTMARE! to fit. It's amazingly tight (obviously, for water prevention) but its just beyond awkwardm i need to pick away at the remaining seal to get it all completely off. Even a hint of some residue left makes the new one impossible due to how tight a fit it is.

Anyway, new aero wiper blades aren't much.
Dont know about tyres.
Cat converter is over £200, cant remember exactly, Kwik-fit were much cheaper than Seat.
Door handle was about £50 i think.

I want to pop in at my nearest Seat dealer/garage and put that list infront of them and ask them to tot it up. That would be the best thing to do.

Avant4me

Oct 13, 2005
Bristol
Typically as i plan to sell my car i have a list as long as my arm of things i need to fix/get done. All of which will dent my savings! Grrr!

1. New catalyic converter. The porcelin ‘core’ is loose and rattling about, they say I need a whole new system though! Which is expensive!

2. Door handle doesn’t sit flush.
When we had the snow, the door froze shut, I was running late, so I tried to force it open and now the handle sits slightly out of place.

3. New aerial gasket seal.
My old one has had it, its totally perished.

4. New tyres, the tread is going.

A service is due aswell. :blink:

Is yours a LC or LCR, i have an original DP and Cat for the LC which came off when my stainless system went on. You interested

MAtt

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise