Locked out of my boot yet again ! But now fixed with pictures. Now 2012 update

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
You have to laugh really :)

I wonder if it affects any VW models or is it our very own fault.

Blimey Audi owners would have a fit :whistle:

ChrisB200SX

It's just a lack of grease, any VAG cars with this lock mech are going to suffer.

I just fixed it and wound on the adjuster tie-rod end one thread for good measure, broke most of the plastic clips though :(

FR_MATT

Jun 2, 2010
Mine springs back, but if I don't use it for a while it gives up springing back until it gets regular use. It's like it is in a mood haha

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
It's just a lack of grease, any VAG cars with this lock mech are going to suffer.

I just fixed it and wound on the adjuster tie-rod end one thread for good measure, broke most of the plastic clips though :(

Yeah thats the problem. When i first took mine off i found Seat had made a real arse of a job busting 1 clip and even bent the metal slots the clips go in. I think ive lost 2 clips now and its been off 3 times. Not the best design but what can you do when your locked out. :shrug:

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Well bloody hell it jammed yet again :rofl:

However this time i was not stressed at, just dropped one of the rear seats removed my plastic cap and pulled the rod with pliers. Boot sprung open and is fully working again. :funk:

I may see if i can find some sort of plastic knob to attach to the rod to save using the pliers. :whistle:

Last edited:

Wash It!

Feb 21, 2009
Hampshire
You could just fit something like a mini tow strap.

In fact having seen it on Top Gear, if I remember rightly the Ford Mustang has a boot release tab inside. It has an excellent pic on it of someone literally jumping out of the boot to escape!
Fitting one of those to your release rod could look quite smart and almost OEM :)

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
If i were you, i'd strip off all the grease and re-apply fresh grease. I think the grease begins to dry out and thats when the sticking starts. I did this on my old mk4 and never had any bother after.

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
If i were you, i'd strip off all the grease and re-apply fresh grease. I think the grease begins to dry out and thats when the sticking starts. I did this on my old mk4 and never had any bother after.

Thats good advice. Thanks

I am going to leave it till the spring now as i want to apply some sound deadening within the hatch. :)

Ni1s

Thanks very much for this guide, I couldnt get the parcel shelf off so in the end I unscrewed if from the 2 pivots that slot into the back. Once that was off I could get to the plastic boot panel. I noticed the top clips were already broken, the middle ones were also not secure. I managed to bend the top away from the body enough to get my skinny hand/arm behind and pull on the boot opening mechanism.

Anyways sprayed everything with Quantum maintenance spray, WD40 equivalent and seems ok for now. Thanks again.

Earthling

Beetle Mechanic
Feb 3, 2013
Mountain hideaway, SE Spain
This is an excellent thread.
More people should post helpful information with pics when they can be helpful.

I tried posting a photo in reply to a query for help, but I'm not allowed to.
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

Edit:
I should be able to post pics tomorrow, when I reach the 15th day as a member.

Last edited:

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Thanks ;)

Mine's been ok this winter (so far). The small hole that i cut in the panel helped me in the summer when it got stuck. I keep a pair of long nosed pliers in the door pocket. Ibiza's eh, LOL. :D