Lost my Private Plate !!!!!

Fitzy7375

Oct 22, 2006
Burnley
Hi, I was wondering if anybody could give me advice.

I traded my Honda Civic Type R in for a Seat Leon Cupra R two weeks ago at a place in Oldham called Justsports.Org. I had a private plate on the Civic and wanted it transferred onto the Leon, Justsports told me that he would arrange the transfer, which I had no problem with because I've had the Reg transferred onto other vehicles on numerous occasions by different traders and have never had a problem until now.

The day came to swap over the cars and I was very busy, so the lad from Justsports offered to bring the Leon to me, which he did. When he turned up he had my cherished number already on the car, he had rang me the day before and told me to take my plates off the Civic and to put the originals back on, which I did because this is what usually happens anyway. When he turned up he said the paperwork was still at the local DVLA office and he would pick it up as soon as it was ready. I questioned him over this but he assured me everything would be ok. I only had about 3 days to wait for the transfer so I parked the Leon in my garage because I have a works van.

When the seven days had passed I rang Justsports to see if he had picked the paperwork up, he told me that he had been really busy and would pick the paperwork up as soon as he could. As I was on the phone to him I remembered that I had left some cd's in the cd changer of the Civic and asked him to take them out, he said he would and would post them once he got the paperwork and that I was lucky that I remembered about the cd's because he had sold the Civic and it was getting picked up that afternoon.

Another week has passed and when I rang him he gave the same excuse about being very busy and he would pick up the paperwork that afternoon. I then rang DVLA and asked if they had received an application for a reg transfer for the above vehicles, she checked all of the local offices databases and assured me no application had been made. I then rang Justsports and told him what DVLA had said and asked if he was f****** me about, he said no and assured me that the paperwork was ready to pick up from the DVLA and that the DVLA had got it all wrong and that he was definately picking it up that afternoon.
The morning after I rang Justsports but they wasn't answering their phone, I tried all day to get through but to no avail. I rang DVLA again just in case the guy at Justsports had forgot to apply and applied the day before but again nothing on their systems. I then thought the worst about the Leon and rushed home and did a HPI check with the RAC but it came back all ok. The paperwork that Justsports gave me was all photocopies ( log book, MOT Cert etc ) because you need the paperwork for the reg transfer.

Why don't you get over to Justsports ? I hear you ask.
The reason is that I am a psv mechanic at a bus firm that employs 3 mechanics. One of the mechanics has been off on long term sick and I haven't been allowed any time off. Justsports is shut by the time I finish work and I can't even nip there during my dinner hour because Oldham is 40 miles away from where I live and work. The mechanic is supposed to be back at work on Monday so I am going to try and get out early and go over to Justsports. The thing is that I have a pretty short fuse and I am worried that when I get over there I will lose my rag and FILL HIM IN !

Anyhow the question is : The LCR runs out of tax at the end of October and all I have is photocopies of the paperwork, I can't even put the original plates on because I didn't get them off Justsports and you need the log book and stuff to get new plates made up. Is there any thing I can do about this ?

Sorry for boring you with this, but I am getting to the end of my tether [:@]

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Mate, spend £50 and get a friendly Solicitor to send a letter, should speed em up. Or just turn up give em jip in person, can't fob you off you then. Also nothing wrong with speaking to Citizens advice or say you will get the police involved as they making you drive illegally

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Find out who bought the civic and see if it still ha sthe pate on it. Was it a civic specific one as they may have sold it with the car?

Fitzy7375

Oct 22, 2006
Burnley
No, the reg wasn't a specific to the Civic, it was just my initials. I'm not able to find out who bought the Civic because the guy wont answer his phone. Hopefully I'm goin over to Oldham on Monday and I am not leaving till this gets sorted out !

Dennis

Polisher
May 11, 2005
I assume your pperwork stated you were to retain the plate???

Speak with tradnig standards also consider goin to the police e theft, the number plate was not included in the sale yet they apear to be trying to retain, deprive you of it use.

Certainly write to DVLA explaining the situation that you being the registered keeper and ownr of reg xxx xxx x wish to retain the said plate plate, etc. ask them not to transfer this plate to anyone else.

Was any of the purchase for the new vehicle on credit, (hp or credit card) if so also inform them.

Fitzy7375

Oct 22, 2006
Burnley
I assume your pperwork stated you were to retain the plate???

Speak with tradnig standards also consider goin to the police e theft, the number plate was not included in the sale yet they apear to be trying to retain, deprive you of it use.

Certainly write to DVLA explaining the situation that you being the registered keeper and ownr of reg xxx xxx x wish to retain the said plate plate, etc. ask them not to transfer this plate to anyone else.

Was any of the purchase for the new vehicle on credit, (hp or credit card) if so also inform them.

I have tried to contact the trading standards but they are impossible to get hold of. The next call will be the police, because it's like I said I will be going over Monday and I am not leaving till it gets sorted.

Dennis

Polisher
May 11, 2005
Did you use credit at all in the purchase? if so the contract is govened by the consumer credit act giving you additional protection, if you did inform the credit company

Fitzy7375

Oct 22, 2006
Burnley
Did you use credit at all in the purchase? if so the contract is govened by the consumer credit act giving you additional protection, if you did inform the credit company

There was no credit involved, it was car plus cash purchase. I will try the trading standards again tomorrow.:confused:

Dennis

Polisher
May 11, 2005
Note for future purchases pay your deposit (over £100) by credit card, they will not charge you any extra if deposit, they tend to if paying balance by credit card.

Buy making someof the purchase by credit you are covered by consumer credit act therefore if car goes wrong and dealer wont help, crdit card company will fight for you etc.

Sorry this doesn't help but I would definatly get DVLa involved etc.

del 77

hope you got it sorted mate, as i know just sports have now gone into liquidation.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.