Lost my Service History, any ideas on how to recover details/effect car value

stevo72

Feb 3, 2007
cambridge
Guys,

I have done a very stupid and most annoying thing, during a house move, lost with a few other things, my Service history book, look everywhere and months later it is nowhere to be found, can only assume it went into the bin bag during the move !bugger

Anyway, obviously i have no service history to show, how does this effect the value of a car, not that i am thinking of selling, but i would be weary buying a car with no history, well it does, but i have lost it, it has full service history.

Also i guess garages keep records of the services they have done, so i assume if i approach various garages i have used over the last 6 years they should be able to print of paperwork confirming service done ???

Any ideas, thoughts ?

Davcupra

We did this with another make - first get a new service book from Seat parts department. You will need to prove you are the owner, show ID etc. before they give you a new service book. They may mark is as "duplicate".
Then you approach the garages concerned and they will back stamp it for you. If you have any of the original receipts or MOTs, it will probably help to pin down the dates etc.

heatfan8

Insert witty comment here
Dec 2, 2008
Berkshire
I got a car with a duplicate and had no paperwork other than the stamps. The first 4 years were done at SEAT, and they printed off all of their paperwork for the car. I took my paperwork along as proof, not that he asked to see any of it!

I guess it depends on which garage serviced your car tbh

I wouldn't spend lots of hard earned on a car with no service history, unless it was extremely cheap!

I asked at SEAT about my MK4 Ibiza which is meant to have had a full dealer service history but they don't keep a centralised record of service history (unlike our MINI which was in the same situation a couple years ago and we just went to the nearest MINI dealer and they brought it up for us and printed out a duplicate.)

As above though if you know where it was serviced for it's full history then they can probably bring it up at the individual garages.

heatfan8

Insert witty comment here
Dec 2, 2008
Berkshire
The ACTUAL garage should have a record. As long as you go in to them. I emailed them first and they werent interested, but in person they were more than happy to help. even offered me a cuppa!

stevo72

Feb 3, 2007
cambridge
cheers guys, looks like i will be doing the rounds of the garages i have been to over the years, thankfully all local

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
funny, I went to a VW garage for an mot when I had a mk3 golf, they pulled up the complete dealer service history TD. If VW have a centralised system, why dont seat?