Lowering kit and alloys. Help?

adseddie

hey.

I'm looking at getting a supersport kit (50mm) with 16's. just to stiffin the ride a bit as I'm fed up of bouncing for 5 miles after a bump. Thing is not to sure if it would fit well with clearances. At the minute everything is as standard.
Any advice and opinions would be apreciated.

thanks

Ads

adseddie

Would it be better with 30mm kit instead? quite a few country roads in norfolk?

Adam

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
Personal choice really Adam.

You could put the 30mm kit on and then decide that's not enough and wish you'd gone for the 50mm, it all depends what your after?

Damian @ DPM Performance

adseddie

Cheers Damien I will have to consider what to do.

If anyone has photos of either set up would be very greatful I can see what it looks like.

Ads

Nov 24, 2007
Swansea
I previously had 30mm springs on my car and there was no visible difference in ride height.

You'r better off going for 50mm kit or even better, a set of coilovers as you can then alter the ride height to your own specification.

adseddie

cheers, Off to get the alloys on first and then see what clearance left and decide then. Hopefully be sorted by tomorrow night.

adseddie

Looking at either 16" Wolfrace GB rial Modena or 15" Inovit Blade or Manics.

adseddie

Unfortunatly I can't post links or images as I'm only a newbie.

Nov 24, 2007
Swansea
Coilovers completely replace the stock suspension unit (front and back) on the car. Slightly more expensive than a spring and damper kit but it gives you the ability to adjust the ride height as you wish from near stock to real low. Ride is instantly stiffer with coilovers and the lower you go the stiffer you get.

Prices start at around £370 for the likes of AP and Vmaxx and onwards and upwards realy.

Avoid hottuning with all your might if you decide to go for coilovers. They're cheap but people on here always complain of problems

I've probably missed a HUGE chunk of info but it gives you a general idea about them.

adseddie

That clears up the issue. Thanks.

just got 17"x8J Dotz Hanzo & tyres at a bargin price of £300. think 50mm lower would be to much so 35mm it will have to be.

adseddie

wheel ssize is 17x8J with tyres 205/40R17. Look sweet aswell. Will put up pics when I'm allowed.

RpR

Sep 24, 2008
Denmark
On a quick note, the 5-door ibizas, while they use the same springs, dont go as low as the 3-door versions when using the same spring kits.
A buddy fitted the same H&H 35mm spring kit to his Ibiza FR 5D, and it didn't really lower the back, at all. Compare that to my 35mm 3D:

Koya%20GTR-4%20%281%29.jpg

I'd get coilovers though. That way you can get it just right, and the price difference isn't that big for a cheap'ish set. VMAXX / GMAXX shouldn't be too terrible quality I've heard, I'd however expect em to get stuck sooner rather than later, so make sure you either oil up the threads or get the ride height right the first time, as adjusting a few years later might be a problem :p

Last edited:

adseddie

Looks nice what size wheels you got on? my only concern is rubbing as the width is quite large.

RpR

Sep 24, 2008
Denmark
17x7" as far as I ran remember, 205 / 40 - 17 Conti CS3 tyres. Even though they're the same dimensions as my Dunlops that Seat puts on em here they look a lot higher. Very good rubber though, beats Dunlop any day of the week, any time of the year :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.