Lowering Spring/Coilover suggestions MK3 1.6TDI

Sean McNally

Jan 9, 2020
NI
index.php
Hey guys looking a few suggestions/pictures if possible on lowering springs/coilovers ive searched the forum and seen some nice pics of some FR’s and Cupra’s which are spot on but wondering if anyone like myself has a measly 1.6tdi mk3 and could help, im mostly looking to improve the look of the car but the road handling as well as a bonus as the standard suspension is really bouncy/floaty and after getting a 2010 1.6tdi audi a3 s-line as a loaner car for a while as the leon was getting some work done under warranty getting back in the leon felt a bit crap on the road in comparison it feels too loose and boaty the audi felt agile and nippy and would take the corners planted where as the leon nearly sends me through the passenger door it feels like on the same turns at the same speed.

A few things i was looking at was the 40mm AP springs from DPM but worried about too much sagging after a few months as a few mates have had this issue before with other springs.

I was also looking a coilover options from FK, PROSPORT & Stance+ if anyone has any experience with these if they are worth it or am i better off just going for springs as there is only £100 or so difference between those sets of coils and the good quality AP springs.

image above is my car, image below is idealy what sort of stance id like. (Car below has racelands which ive been told are fantastic by the owner but they don’t do a kit for torsion beam axle) :(
index.php

Ps sorry if this has been posted but i could not find anywhere on the forum any suggestions for the SE 1.6tdi

Cheers guys:)

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
If it were me for much cheapness i would go with a set of eibach pro springs, you can retain original shocks with these springs and the end result is a nice ride and in my opinion the best ride height, slightly lower than an FR

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
It is worth noting a drop of 40mm you will need to change the dampers to match. If they are not already dead they will be dead in no time with a drop like that :thumbup:

Sean McNally

Jan 9, 2020
NI
If it were me for much cheapness i would go with a set of eibach pro springs, you can retain original shocks with these springs and the end result is a nice ride and in my opinion the best ride height, slightly lower than an FR

Kind of figured that might be the case just wondered if the cheapo coils were as bad as everyone says they can be lol might just stretch myself a little more than i wanted and go for a set of AP coils and treat myself in this lockdown! Decisions decisions!

Sean McNally

Jan 9, 2020
NI
Depends if you're wanting something subtle or a little more aggressive.

Damian @ DPM Performance
How many miles have your current dampers covered?

What kind of drop are you wanting?

Damian @ DPM Performance

Hi Damien current dampers are as old as the car 2014 and 69k

looking for a similar drop to the red one pretty sure its a bit more than 40mm but understand that likely isnt possible with springs, would sacrifice some of the drop for a nicer drive if the springs were better than the budget coils. If i need new shocks and springs i might just stretch myself a bit and go for the AP coils

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Kind of figured that might be the case just wondered if the cheapo coils were as bad as everyone says they can be lol might just stretch myself a little more than i wanted and go for a set of AP coils and treat myself in this lockdown! Decisions decisions!
I would avoid budget coilovers at all costs.

AP would be the minimum i would look at :thumbup:

MatTheMerciless

Feb 16, 2019
index.php
Hey guys looking a few suggestions/pictures if possible on lowering springs/coilovers ive searched the forum and seen some nice pics of some FR’s and Cupra’s which are spot on but wondering if anyone like myself has a measly 1.6tdi mk3 and could help, im mostly looking to improve the look of the car but the road handling as well as a bonus as the standard suspension is really bouncy/floaty and after getting a 2010 1.6tdi audi a3 s-line as a loaner car for a while as the leon was getting some work done under warranty getting back in the leon felt a bit crap on the road in comparison it feels too loose and boaty the audi felt agile and nippy and would take the corners planted where as the leon nearly sends me through the passenger door it feels like on the same turns at the same speed.

A few things i was looking at was the 40mm AP springs from DPM but worried about too much sagging after a few months as a few mates have had this issue before with other springs.

I was also looking a coilover options from FK, PROSPORT & Stance+ if anyone has any experience with these if they are worth it or am i better off just going for springs as there is only £100 or so difference between those sets of coils and the good quality AP springs.

image above is my car, image below is idealy what sort of stance id like. (Car below has racelands which ive been told are fantastic by the owner but they don’t do a kit for torsion beam axle) :(
index.php

Ps sorry if this has been posted but i could not find anywhere on the forum any suggestions for the SE 1.6tdi

Cheers guys:)

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....ing-springs-before-after.452200/#post-4849942

Here you go. I have a1.6tdi with torsion beam rear axle also. Eibach springs are great. No match for decent coil overs but a great improvement in handling. 15mm spacers all round too.

Just added a set of Michelin PS4’s and a short-shifter which have absolutely transformed the handling and drivability.

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
Hi Damien current dampers are as old as the car 2014 and 69k

looking for a similar drop to the red one pretty sure its a bit more than 40mm but understand that likely isnt possible with springs, would sacrifice some of the drop for a nicer drive if the springs were better than the budget coils. If i need new shocks and springs i might just stretch myself a bit and go for the AP coils

To get lower than 40mm you'd need to go for coilovers really.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Sean McNally

Jan 9, 2020
NI
To get lower than 40mm you'd need to go for coilovers really.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Decided to buy the ST by KW springs listed on your website Damien, are these in stock and delivered in a few days or would there be a bit of a wait on them?

Cheers

Will post some pics once all is fitted and settled and maybe draw up a review after a month or two if anyone else is wondering what the ST’s are like

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
Decided to buy the ST by KW springs listed on your website Damien, are these in stock and delivered in a few days or would there be a bit of a wait on them?

Cheers

Will post some pics once all is fitted and settled and maybe draw up a review after a month or two if anyone else is wondering what the ST’s are like

Afternoon,

No they'd need to be sent direct from ST.

Damian @ DPM Performance