Lucifer's ultimate guide: 1.4tsi fundamental problems

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
To be honest, I don't know, if the engine output is something like 180PS then I would think it was, anything lower than that and it would not be twin charger.

Most of these issues were down to the design of engine that was only available as a twin charger, other issues associated with a 1.4TSI engine from 2014 would be weak cam chain drive system, though by 2014 I would have hoped that these other issues had been resolved.

If any of that makes sense!

product_of_ozil

Jan 9, 2018
To be honest, I don't know, if the engine output is something like 180PS then I would think it was, anything lower than that and it would not be twin charger.

Most of these issues were down to the design of engine that was only available as a twin charger, other issues associated with a 1.4TSI engine from 2014 would be weak cam chain drive system, though by 2014 I would have hoped that these other issues had been resolved.

If any of that makes sense!
I've just checked the tech specs on auto trader the engine has 138bhp so I'd imagine that engine won't need two turbo' s

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

GRIGGZ

Jan 20, 2018
Solution:
At £90 these are quite cheap but can be upgraded to an Aluminium version with 78% larger capacity by Pace Products, which greatly helps in reducing block temperatures which we know are high.[/QUOTE]

Anyone know where to source this radiator?? Or source a similar aluminium with larger cooling capabilities, that fits the cupra 1.4tsi twin charged... many thanks.

vladandrei51

Oct 24, 2018
Revo actually took it upon themselves to rewrite this part of the coding, which isn't the norm. Usually they just re configure boost pressure, Air-Fuel-Ratios, timing etc. After this was done people, including myself who were totally standard before, flocked to Revo just for a car that would work properly. It took SEAT several months after this to release software that would solve this problem but of course they still needed to abide by the new EU regulations which REVO didn’t.
Could this mean that getting a revo stage 1 would increase reliability over newest OEM software (which technically addresses fueling issues and stuff)

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Since a lot of new people are asking about the 1.4tsi engine and these threads have loads of useful information, making them sticky. :)

rosehui

Jan 3, 2019
LUCIFER'S ULTIMATE GUIDE 1: FUNDAMENTAL PROBLEMS
[PICS TO FOLLOW]

Hello twincharged owners. My name is Mark.....aka Lucifer and I have spent the last 4 years in ownership of a 1.4tsi Seat Ibiza. I have now at long last managed to conquer stage 3 tuning on this engine after several setbacks and much more money spent than I ever wanted. I still honestly believe after all the inerrant problems I have discovered with this engine and products designed for it by certain company’s, that the engine can still be tuned on a budget and can be reliable. Hence this guide........hope you all enjoy.

FUNDAMENTAL PROBLEMS WITH THESE ENGINES:

1. Misfiring, Oil Consumption, Engine Failure
2. PCV System
3. Turbo
4. Timing Chain
5. Radiator
6. Supercharger Magnetic Clutch

This is a really good writing. I hope that I can get your permission to translate it into Mandarin to benefit the readers of VW forum in Taiwan. I will also provide them the link to this article for supervising the accuracy of my translation.

Thank you.

Feb 7, 2020
I wonder if anyone could help me, my 1.4tsi engine with a cthe engine in has failed because apparently my spark plug had broken off and fallen into the engine. The car was taken to the dealership two weeks previous to it breaking down as It wasnt driving right, after they had changed the water pump. They had the car for two days and said that the car is perfectly fine and there’s nothing wrong with it. It then broke down on me and this is the situation I’m in now.

Any help would be appreciated

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I wonder if anyone could help me, my 1.4tsi engine with a cthe engine in has failed because apparently my spark plug had broken off and fallen into the engine. The car was taken to the dealership two weeks previous to it breaking down as It wasnt driving right, after they had changed the water pump. They had the car for two days and said that the car is perfectly fine and there’s nothing wrong with it. It then broke down on me and this is the situation I’m in now.

Any help would be appreciated

Did they specifically remove or examine the spark plugs? If they haven't touched the plugs, then basically they failed to diagnose the fault in time. Is the car back with them now? Only choice now is to get it stripped down and inspect the damage.

Feb 7, 2020
I don’t know what they did, the car went in a for a waterpump, they only replaced the waterpump, not the pulleys or belts or anything else. I paid them 380. Two weeks later I go back as it’s not driving right for a diagnostics which cost me around 100 pound. Again I don’t know what they looked for but they said they didn’t find anything. Surely for diagnostics,basic practice is to check the spark plugs. Anyway I took the car back and it just randomly broke down on me so I got it recovered back. They then had a look at it and said we need to strip the head off which I was wary about. I asked if they’ve done all the test before taking apart the head. They said they’ve done a compression test and there’s no compression. So they took it apart and that’s what they found. Surely if they had done a compression test, they would of noticed a broken spark plug even before removing the head as they need to be removed to carry out the test

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Generally I would have thought they'd only check the spark plugs if the engine was misfiring. Yeah, if they'd done a compression test they would have had to remove the spark plugs. If as they say, it's lost compression, it sounds like the spark plug has caused some damage... possibly cylinder, piston, valves. Are they a dealership or independent?

Feb 7, 2020
Well if I went in for diagnostics saying something wasn’t right, shouldnt they have checked all that **** before telling me the car is fine. More importantly do you think that them changing the waterpump could have caused this as nothing was replaced with it

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
More importantly do you think that them changing the waterpump could have caused this as nothing was replaced with it

They shouldn't have to go near the plugs to change the waterpump. When was it last serviced / plugs last changed?

Feb 7, 2020
I know they don’t but if the waterpump wasn’t done right, it can have a effect on everything surely. Whether or not they had to go near them for the waterpump, shouldn't this have been picked up by the diagnostics,otherwise what the point of diagnostics.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Whether or not they had to go near them for the waterpump, shouldn't this have been picked up by the diagnostics,otherwise what the point of diagnostics.

Usually they plug it in and see if there's any codes.

Feb 7, 2020
Exactly my point, how can a spark plug just fail like that without no sign. I don’t believe that

Jun 28, 2020
Would you guys advise me getting a rebuild or a new engine ? Had the same issue with timing chain, did a oil change and the timing chain went.

I'm torn between a new engine cthe or just doing a rebut

Demon6j

Jun 27, 2021
Article now located in the resources section of the site

Thanks for putting this together, really helped alot in deciding to buy a cupra and which to go for, very detailed and explained fully. Have purchased a 2013 cupra in std form and only thinking of doing cosmetics and stage1 remap and dsg map. So as not to run into too many issues. Thanks again.