MAF Errors New MAF

eatthis1

I have had a Mk1 Leon Cupra for around 6 months and had the following errors occuring

16486 P0102 Air Mass Meter Signal Too Low

This fault started appearing soon after buying the car. It only occurs intermittantly when rolling at about 20-30 MPH and not on the gas. The ABS light lights up and when you reset the ignition it does not come back on. This happens approximately once every 7-10 days.

Thinking that I had a dodgy MAF I went and replaced it. getting a reconditoned Bosch unit from Euro Car Parts. Swapped the unit, but this error has re occured.

I thought then that they may have given me a duff unit, I swapped it again for another, but the fault keeps happening.

I also get this occasional error occuring but this is not very common

17545 P1137 Long Term Fuel Trim Add.Fuel,Bank1 System too Rich

Can anyone shed any light on the problem for me before I have to spend a small fortune at the local dealers?

Cheers

Rob

sonic_vi

Toledo 20vt
I heard from GSF that euro car parts have cheap maf's that have bosch casings but the actual sensor isn't genuine

I had one of these cheap ones after my MAF went and it caused no end of trouble as i thought "can't be the MAF, its brand new !"

check its an actual bosch sensor and not a spurious one

Russ

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
As Russ quite rightly says, there is no guarantee that the ECP MAF is working any better than the one you had before.

I'd try and get your hands on a genuine one from Seat or Audi and see if that helps.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
I heard from GSF that euro car parts have cheap maf's that have bosch casings but the actual sensor isn't genuine

I had one of these cheap ones after my MAF went and it caused no end of trouble as i thought "can't be the MAF, its brand new !"

check its an actual bosch sensor and not a spurious one

Russ

If you'd care to look on the Euro Car Parts site (instead of inferring all their MAFS are rubbish :rolleyes: ) you'd see they do a cheapo one and a proper Bosch exchange one.

There's nothing wrong with their Bosch exchange one, better quality than the dealer ones IMO.

Last edited:

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
He wouldn't be the first person to have problems after buying supposedly compatible parts from that place though. There have been a few people on this forum recently that have had problems with their coil packs as well as MAF's. Switching to genuine parts cured the problem in all cases.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
He wouldn't be the first person to have problems after buying supposedly compatible parts from that place though. There have been a few people on this forum recently that have had problems with their coil packs as well as MAF's. Switching to genuine parts cured the problem in all cases.

Rob, the £70 ish Bosch ones from ECP come in a proper sealed printed Bosch box with protective packing inside.

The ones from VAG dealers come in a thin plain cardboard box with NO protective packing inside.

I know which one I'd buy, the ECP ones are genuine Bosch.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Each to their own :)

If I was buying a genuine part I'd want it to come from a VAG dealer. In fact, that is where mine came from :)

sonic_vi

Toledo 20vt
agreed

the cheapo one i got was from ebay

the good one i got was from GSF with exchange for £70ish

never dealt with euro car parts and wouldn't have a problem doing aside from the fact i know the guys round the corner from me in trafford park at GSF.

All i heard was that the euro car parts offered MAF's dirt cheap but they weren't genuine.

Anyway if you pay less than 70 quid for a MAF it aint gonna be genuine is what i learned after spending £35 on one from ebay and then an hours diagnostics from awesome gti where they basically told me i had bought a crap MAF.

Its like i was saying to someone on here the other day. If the £5 chips off ebay give 20 bhp then how do APR / Jabba / whoever else stay in business when they charge 450 for a remap?

You get what you pay for - UNLESS you know exactly what you are buying and have inside info (i.e. a mate of mine is a race instructor and uses nankang NS2 tyres on his car because they are cheap and the performance is relativly good compared to premium brand tyres except for 225 40 18's they are 62 quid a corner fitted as oppose to £120+ ! if i didn't know this i would be on premium brand tyres e.g. pilot sports or pirelli's or Goodyear F1's or something)

eatthis1

Ok,

I have cleared the fault codes from the Ecu when changing them over.

Both MAF's have come in a Bosch Box, both are stamped Bosch and Both had a Bosch sticker on saying "Remanufactured in Germany".

When I bought it, it cost me around £70 and I was offered a cheap version, but knowing that usually "buy cheap buy twice", I went for the dearer Bosch version.

This is now the third MAF on my car with exactly the same fault coming up. There must be something else causing this fault.

Any Ideas?

Rob

Colonelk

Nov 17, 2006
If you'd care to look on the Euro Car Parts site (instead of inferring all their MAFS are rubbish :rolleyes: ) you'd see they do a cheapo one and a proper Bosch exchange one.

There's nothing wrong with their Bosch exchange one, better quality than the dealer ones IMO.

Weren't y ou the guy on his 7th MAF? I guess that makes you the resident MAF expert :happy:

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Weren't y ou the guy on his 7th MAF? I guess that makes you the resident MAF expert :happy:

I'm on my 8th!

I assume the first was original.
Paid for the second from the dealer,
4 & 5 were dealer warranty exchanges.
Had to pay for 6 from the dealer ( stopped using them for servicing after that)
Bought #7 from ECP - that one lasted the best and longest.
Bought #8 from ECP as outside 12m warranty period at 13 months.

As I say in my sig, I am now pretty certain that virtually all my MAF failures are the result of maxing out the MAF with too much airflow. I am now keeping the car below 5.5k rpm to avoid doing it again.

eatthis1

Ok, Have checked the plug for the MAF. Nothing bent or damaged.

There is a stock filter in there that is about 5 months old.

The fault always show up when doing between 20-30 MPH and foot off the gas.

I do have a VAG-Com cable, but don't have a laptop, so would need a very long cable!!

I Will try resetting my ECU this afternoon.

Rob

eatthis1

The Guy at ECP said that the pre cat lambda sensor can cause this fault. Don't know how much truth in this theory or whether he is just trying to get more money out of me?

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
I wonder if you have a wiring fault to your MAF.

If it throws a code and lights, but you clear the code and it doesn't come back immediately, the question is, 'Is the MAF itself actually ok?' Logging it on VAG-COM after a reset would be interesting......

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.