Maxcars1, ibiza tdi detail

gazjones

Today after weeks of trying to get some good weather, maxcars1 (shaun) arrived at 9 am in his lovely ibiza se tdi 100pd, thats nothing near that spec anymore, to start what turned out to be a pig of a detail. He actually woke me up as i was still in bed!
tdi1.jpg

tdi2.jpg

we first rinsed the car down with hose then covered it in a layer of foam and let the soak, i was still waking up at this point!

tdi3.jpg

tdi4.jpg

After drying the car off we inspected the swirls which were not to bad, more marring than swirls really on this. As the pics show below.
tdi5.jpg

tdi6.jpg

Shaun then taped up and we tested for an hour on the bonnet to find best combination of pad and product, we tried megs stage1 but wouldnt break down and left horrid marring, then was sonus sfx2 which was better but not shifting the swirs on hard vw paint. we opted for in the end, wait for it ag paint renovator!!! on yellow sonus pad. Took 3 hours to do whole car doing 2 passes on each pannel. We changed product half way round as the paint renovator was a pain to remove, we opted to change for white pad and sonus sfx2. Still did the job on rear pannels very well.
Few shots during swirl removal stage
tdi8.jpg

tdi7.jpg

Then changed to blue finishing pad and used AG ultra deep shine, very thin quick layers, as the sun even under the gazebo was roasting and affecting us prety bad:wall:
The metalic flakes were really poping out on this but there was marring apearing from amount of buffering we were having to do to get polish off. But got these down to a minimum eventually.
We then finished off the body work with clearcoat moose wax. tyres were dressed with meg endurance and wheels finished with AG extra gloss protection, side trims treated with hyper dresing.

THE END RESULTS
i was amazed looking back through the pics at the difference, which you dont notice when your working on the car.

tdi11.jpg

tdi12.jpg

gazjones

The paint really was so shiney and these reflection pics, i think are superb!
tdi9.jpg

tdi13.jpg

tdi14.jpg

tdi16.jpg

tdi15.jpg

and those swirls and marring
tdi10.jpg

tdi10a.jpg

Thanks for reading and looking at my first detail away from my car with the pc
cheers Gaz:wave:

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
Thanks to Gaz for a quality day albeit rather kanckering. I agree with Gaz on the issue with compounds, as we only had a few things to work with. Yes if we had some Menz IP it would have been loads quicker and perhaps it wouldnt have taken 8 hrs plus of hard slog. Gaz im loving the rear shot it looks well smart.

gazjones

im ordering some menzerna ip for sure im not messing around with paint renovator on vag cars and ive still got dads leon to do and mine again so it will be worth it

gazjones

you can get around it with sonus sfx2 and yellow pad but you ned two long passes and it takes for ever. need something that works on medium pad with 1 quick ish pass would cut a detail like that down to about 5 hours instead of 8

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
I found the same thing, you can get good results ... but not perfect, IP i think would give similar results to the rubbinb compound i've been using.

You do a 3 passes on slow speed with a cutting pad, then change to a polishing pad and do 3 more slow passes on a higher speed. Once that's done you can work through the 3.02 and the 106FF which gives a lovely deep shine.

It's one of the most satisfying things i've done!

gazjones

yep its satisfying just takes so long if you dont have the right stuff, will be ordering few more products now as the gt6 paint is also bloody hard and lots of defects to get out of that!

gazjones

you know im never going to be happy with mine now because it wont look as good as that for reflection shots :cry:

if you wanna drive to lincoln yea but long long way lol

Ad Lav

vRS...
Nov 10, 2006
Kent
Do it at the Brighton meet... :)

My friend has just bought a hand polisher, will give it a go!

gazjones

nope but il bloody well try just ordered menzerna ip po901 is it and nattys blue wax ill get close to those black relfections yet!

gazjones

Do it at the Brighton meet... :)

My friend has just bought a hand polisher, will give it a go!

normal hand polisher or portacable random orbital polisher that what ive now got works wonder but still takes ages!!!

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
I reckon MEnz IP PO85RD 3.02 is THE bollox.

Gaz - Menz IP PO91L is the older style IP the 3.02 is the new style created for rock hard clear coats. it works for ages and hardly dusts at all.

It works wonders on any car/paint, and can finish down to lsp.

It just eats up the swirls.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.