MFD compass stuck

Aug 27, 2020
Hi, I've recently bought Leon mk3 from 2014. It has MIB1 with navigation, SD card with maps is missing, only empty box from card was left in the glovebox. The main problem is with the compass in MFD. It is stuck on N (north) direction. I've tried riding in circles on empty parking lot to calibrate it but with no success. I've checked gps signal reception with obdeleven and it looks good, gps heading is also correct. I've also checked navigation menu in GEM and it also showing that gps is working ok, but 'nav_driving_direction' is stuck at 1, sometimes changing to 2. I assume the MFD compass is using this 'nav_driving_direction' heading value and translates it properly to N (north) direction (0=N, 45=NE, 90=E etc.). What could cause the compass stuck? Is there an option to change MFD compass input from 'nav_driving_direction' to the heading value from gps? Is there a compass module in mk3 leon or it is integrated with gps antenna?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I would have thought that without the sat-nav working the compass would not work. I would expect it to be part of the same system.

Aug 27, 2020
Thanks for reply. Could anyone with MIB1 confirm that MFD compass not working when sd card is missing?

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
I'd recommend rebooting the infotainment system. Press and hold the power button down, and keep pressing it until it powers off and powers back on, then release.

Aug 27, 2020
I'd recommend rebooting the infotainment system. Press and hold the power button down, and keep pressing it until it powers off and powers back on, then release.
After reset nothing changed, compass initializes for a few seconds showing "--" then comes back to stuck "N". :(

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
After reset nothing changed, compass initializes for a few seconds showing "--" then comes back to stuck "N". :(
If it does relate to gps then it might be worth checking how many satellites the system is connected to in the menu.
this might help pinpoint the issue.

Aug 27, 2020
If it does relate to gps then it might be worth checking how many satellites the system is connected to in the menu.
this might help pinpoint the issue.
I think it does not relate to gps signal. Gps signal reception is correct, when driving and checking navigation in GEM it shows correct position, speed and heading:

IMG_20200828_114349.jpg

GPS Heading: 100, when car heading East direction, so this reading is correct.

I assume, that MFD compass is not using GPS to acquire direction of car. The compass problably using value from navigation/position menu in GEM, 'nav_driving_direction', which is stuck at 1, sometimes changing to 2:

IMG_20200828_113808.jpg

So car is probably using some kind of gyro/compass module to predict car movement when gps signal is not available and this module also feeds compass in MFD with its direction data.

Last edited:

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
I think it does not relate to gps signal. Gps signal reception is correct, when driving and checking navigation in GEM it shows correct position, speed and heading:

View attachment 17819
GPS Heading: 100, when car heading East direction, so this reading is correct.

I assume, that MFD compass is not using GPS to acquire direction of car. The compass problably using value from navigation/position menu in GEM, 'nav_driving_direction', which is stuck at 1, sometimes changing to 2:

View attachment 17820

So car is probably using some kind of gyro/compass module to predict car movement when gps signal is not available and this module also feeds compass in MFD with its direction data.
I think you’re right with that assumption.
and it doesn’t really answer your query. But what I wondered is why your system is not using gps. I expected that backup nav would kick in if you were in a tunnel or for other reasons had poor satellite coverage.
I’d check how many satellites the unit is connected to and see if that gives any clues.
Edit. It might be that direction is independent of gps. But it would be useful to know whether your unit is connected to any / some gps. Could be a gps connection cable issue or similar?

Aug 27, 2020
I think you’re right with that assumption.
and it doesn’t really answer your query. But what I wondered is why your system is not using gps. I expected that backup nav would kick in if you were in a tunnel or for other reasons had poor satellite coverage.
I’d check how many satellites the unit is connected to and see if that gives any clues.
Edit. It might be that direction is independent of gps. But it would be useful to know whether your unit is connected to any / some gps. Could be a gps connection cable issue or similar?
I can't check the number of visible satellites in Nav menu, because of no SD card, but I've checked it with OBDEleven:

Screenshot_2020-08-28-14-37-24-656.jpg

Everything looks OK.

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
I can't check the number of visible satellites in Nav menu, because of no SD card, but I've checked it with OBDEleven:

View attachment 17822

Everything looks OK.
Yeah, it does from that view. Sorry, I had missed that info in your first post about no SD card.
I'm not sure on the technical details on how the compass works - and how accurate it is without the SD card.

Daggerw9

Mar 9, 2020
Wondering can anybody help my navigation has recently just stopped working when I press the nav button it says navigation: function not supported even though its worked since I had the car past 2.5 years. And in the mfd I scroll to where it should say navigation it says compass instead it says compass currently not available. What could be the issue .
Any help be appreciated

Attachments

• 20220807_181842.jpg
    20220807_181842.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 76
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise