MIB2 map update question

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
Wondering if anyone can help here.......

Got a 19 plate Leon with an MIB2, which uses an AS marked SD card for the maps.

I am wanting to update the maps via the portal.

I am NOT wanting to wipe the existing, working AS card until I know I have another working map card, and have tried using an older AT marked SD card that was surplus to my older Leon, which had an MIB1 unit. The card worked fine in that car. It is a genuine SEAT SD card, but the new maps downloaded from the portal onto it are not recognised by the MIB2. I thought that as long as the card was a genuine SEAT card, whether marked as AS or AT, the update would be OK, but can't get it to work. I assumed the difference was in the content on the card.

Do I specifically need to use another AS marked card for the update, or am I doing something wrong in the preparation of the AT card?

To clarify, the old MIB1 AT map has been totally formatted off the old AT marked card, and the correct AS map downloaded from the portal onto that card.

Many thanks for reading, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Yes the mib1 card should work fine in a mib2. Assuming its large enough. Not sure of the size of mib1 cards. There is a CID signature on it which is interchangeable across the VAG brand for mib1 and mib2. You do need the "workaround" (the term the Seat board gave it). On Seat mib2 standard which is what yours is the first card put in it teethers the unit to the serial release of the card. The good news is copying that overall.nds file to a higher release over writing the releases overall.nds file makes the update work with the unit, aka the workaround.

There is a resource which details this and a discussion thread.

Always back up the card before starting this process
although you can get the system working again if you loose the overall.nds file by deleting it (the mistake) before copying the original, that is detailed. People do it by ignoring the Seat site that says it doesn't apply to UK sold cars, follow the website instruction (delete the contents) and don't have a mapping system that works after this. The year dot overall.nds file digs you out of this hole. Link provided.

Generally always use the VW map file links they are more up-to-date. Seat and Skoda drag their feet on posting up those. In the community we post up the direct link to make it easy.

Resource:

Discussion thrrad:

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
UPDATE: no matter what I tried, the AT card would not work in the MIB2.
Took the plunge, took a backup of the original card out of this car, and downloaded the latest maps from the portal. Swapped the OVERALL.NDS file from the original mapping that was on the card, and everything now working with the latest maps.
Big shoutout and thanks to @Tell
Thanks for all your help and time, much appreciated

Last edited:
Reactions: Tell
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members